2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

Can't recall where i've read that out of the top 10 teams, Williams will be the least affected as the Cosworth engine isn't tweaked for the EBD malarkey.

they have no hot blown exhaust, but the exhaust is still blowing on the diffuser...
by silverstone only the hot blown exhaust will be banned, the ban on the exhaust blowing the diffuser won't come in effect till next year, when they will return to periscope style exhausts

periscope.jpg

Last edited:
isn't exhaust blown on the diffuser and hot blown exhaust diffuser the same thing? unless there's a luke-warm exhaust solution that i haven't heard about...?

no, the exhaust blowing on the diffuser, is just where the exhaust is pointed at, and where the exhaust gasses are going.

the hot blown exhaust is the function that when they lift the throttle, the exhaust keeps blowing by leaving the exhaust valves open.

granted, a hot blown exhaust that isn't pointed at the diffuser, would have no influence at all

But as far as I understood an exhaust-blown diffuser without the off-throttle magic will lead to an unstable-handling car as the downforce levels fluctuate with the throttle applied?

if not carefull, yes.

but the exhaust blown diffuser has already been used from 1983 to well into the 90s. with no such thing as a hot blown exhaust back then...
they will have to be more carefull when coming off the throttle and diving into a corner, but they still can use the blown diffuser to accelerate out of a corner, where it has most effect anyways...

they stepped away from exhaust blown diffuser with the switch to V10. if they wanted to keep the same power as the V12, they needed more revs, but those revs couldn't be reached with the long secondary pipes, and everyone switched to the periscope exhausts

this and a lot more here

Last edited:
BBC one's broadcast of the Australian GP is kinda wonky.
There are commercial breaks in the middle of the action, with guitar solos playing before and after. lol

Also, I noticed that the circuit ticker at the bottom displays 8 places, instead of the 6 we see now.

Last edited:
If there are commercials then its not from a BBC feed, but one of the international stations that the BBC provides commentary for.

Do we need to make a F1 noob thread for ya dude? :p

I'm finally caught up on all the races this year! yay ;D
Monaco GP and Canadian GPs were the most compelling, for me.
While the Australian GP was probably the least.

There are commercial breaks in the middle of the action, with guitar solos playing before and after. lol

Also, I noticed that the circuit ticker at the bottom displays 8 places, instead of the 6 we see now.

The bass lines probably are The Chain by Fleetwood Mac, as seen in the proper BBC F1 theme?

[video=youtube;5z-dJ35fOiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-dJ35fOiM[/video]

The ticker in black/white with green/yellow coloring comes from the world feed, the Beeb (or whoever) had nothing to do with it.

Jenson Button is set to be handed a fresh McLaren deal in the next few weeks, AUTOSPORT has learned, with the team ready to offer improved terms to keep the Briton on board.

On the back of mounting speculation that Ferrari is interested in tempting Button to Maranello to help bolster its own title challenge in the longer term, it is understood that McLaren is prepared to move quickly to tie Button's future down.

Button is currently only under option at McLaren for next year, with the activation clause on the team's side. That situation means that even if Button had tempting offers from elsewhere, he would be unable to move if McLaren wanted him to stay.

A simple take-up of that option is unlikely, though, with Button currently in brilliant form and both team and driver thinking of nothing other than a future together.

AUTOSPORT understands that McLaren is prepared to improve the terms of the original deal to keep the 2009 world champion happy.

Any likely improvement in the contract that Button gets as part of a fresh deal would likely be done in exchange for a lengthier deal - so there is a chance that he could commit his future at McLaren well beyond the end of 2012.

While Button appears to be edging closer to securing his place at McLaren, the future of Lewis Hamilton remains uncertain ? with talks about his own contract not likely to start for several months yet.

Hamilton has made it clear several times this year that he will be happy to stay at McLaren as long as it provides him with a competitive car.

However, AUTOSPORT revealed last week that Hamilton's frustration with the performance of his McLaren in qualifying in Canada ? at a race where he had been expected to be on pole position ? resulting in him making a surprise visit to Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner on Saturday night for private talks.

Although there is no suggestion that was the start of contract discussions, the visit showed that Hamilton may be willing to consider options outside of McLaren if the team cannot provide him with a car that is capable of fighting for the title.

But despite his feelings on Saturday in Montreal, Hamilton may be more open to a future at McLaren after seeing team-mate Button win in Canada ? and witnessing further evidence that while Red Bull Racing has a qualifying advantage, it may be McLaren that has the fastest car in the races.

Of the current top teams, only Fernando Alonso at Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull Racing have committed themselves to their present squads for the long term.

---------------
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92479

Jenson Button is set to be handed a fresh McLaren deal in the next few weeks, AUTOSPORT has learned, with the team ready to offer improved terms to keep the Briton on board.

On the back of mounting speculation that Ferrari is interested in tempting Button to Maranello to help bolster its own title challenge in the longer term, it is understood that McLaren is prepared to move quickly to tie Button's future down.

Button is currently only under option at McLaren for next year, with the activation clause on the team's side. That situation means that even if Button had tempting offers from elsewhere, he would be unable to move if McLaren wanted him to stay.

A simple take-up of that option is unlikely, though, with Button currently in brilliant form and both team and driver thinking of nothing other than a future together.

AUTOSPORT understands that McLaren is prepared to improve the terms of the original deal to keep the 2009 world champion happy.

Any likely improvement in the contract that Button gets as part of a fresh deal would likely be done in exchange for a lengthier deal - so there is a chance that he could commit his future at McLaren well beyond the end of 2012.

While Button appears to be edging closer to securing his place at McLaren, the future of Lewis Hamilton remains uncertain ? with talks about his own contract not likely to start for several months yet.

Hamilton has made it clear several times this year that he will be happy to stay at McLaren as long as it provides him with a competitive car.

However, AUTOSPORT revealed last week that Hamilton's frustration with the performance of his McLaren in qualifying in Canada ? at a race where he had been expected to be on pole position ? resulting in him making a surprise visit to Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner on Saturday night for private talks.

Although there is no suggestion that was the start of contract discussions, the visit showed that Hamilton may be willing to consider options outside of McLaren if the team cannot provide him with a car that is capable of fighting for the title.

But despite his feelings on Saturday in Montreal, Hamilton may be more open to a future at McLaren after seeing team-mate Button win in Canada ? and witnessing further evidence that while Red Bull Racing has a qualifying advantage, it may be McLaren that has the fastest car in the races.

Of the current top teams, only Fernando Alonso at Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull Racing have committed themselves to their present squads for the long term.

---------------
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92479

Yeah don't listen to the ham-rbr rumors; load a bullshit.

Button should and probably will stay with McLaren. Going to ferrari with eyebrow man will just be suicide.

Hi, I'm new around here, but I'm a massive F1 fan.

I find the DRS way too gimmicky though. A driver that is unable to defend his position on track without being passed? Come on, that's not in the spirit of true racing. A race doesn't need to have loads of overtaking to be exciting in my opinion.

The tyres are providing enough excitement this year without the need of DRS. It seems the FIA is just concentrating on getting cheap thrills to entice new fans. But as I view it, it is not proper racing. Takes away all skill and ability of a good overtake. Disheartening to hear that junior formulas like Renault 3.5 will be using DRS too. Young drivers will not learn how to produce good overtakes now.

Hopefully it is banned. This is real life, not a computer game. I wish the FIA would stop changing the regulations. Last year was brilliant, why were things changed AGAIN? And they talk about saving money...

Saying that, I'm still an ethusiastic supporter of Formula One. My favourite drivers are Alonso and Massa (I'm a Tifosi), Vettel, Schumacher and Kobayashi.

Last edited:
I find the DRS way too gimmicky though.

That's what I thought, and still do to some extent.

But, without DRS "catching is one thing, but overtaking is another".
With DRS, "overtaking is one thing, but getting away is another".

It was interesting in Canada to see that JB used DRS (only to overtake Schuey, I think) to overtake and then disappeared into the distance. Webber had difficulty overtaking with DRS, and then couldn't pull away from Schuey. Given Schuey's better traction out of the corners, he might even have taken Webber's place back under DRS if the race had lasted a bit longer.

I find the new tyres rather gimmicky, as overtaking often happens because, though the guy in front is a better driver in a better car, he has old tyres. As Webber said of the tyres (after China, I think) - "You come up against drivers like Fernando, Jenson and Nico, you catch them at 2.5 seconds a lap - it?s nice but it?s not rewarding because they?ve got nothing to fight back with.". This was not a factor in Canada because they changed tyres so often that they didn't get old, but old tyres have, and will affect other races.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new around here, but I'm a massive F1 fan.

I find the DRS way too gimmicky though. A driver that is unable to defend his position on track without being passed? Come on, that's not in the spirit of true racing. A race doesn't need to have loads of overtaking to be exciting in my opinion.

The tyres are providing enough excitement this year without the need of DRS. It seems the FIA is just concentrating on getting cheap thrills to entice new fans. But as I view it, it is not proper racing. Takes away all skill and ability of a good overtake. Disheartening to hear that junior formulas like Renault 3.5 will be using DRS too. Young drivers will not learn how to produce good overtakes now.

Hopefully it is banned. This is real life, not a computer game. I wish the FIA would stop changing the regulations. Last year was brilliant, why were things changed AGAIN? And they talk about saving money...

Saying that, I'm still an ethusiastic supporter of Formula One. My favourite drivers are Alonso and Massa (I'm a Tifosi), Vettel, Schumacher and Kobayashi.

Welcome, and agree :)

i only feel pitty for renault, they had the balls to try something completely different, and now it will blow up in their face :(

Once again I'm quoting the same thing because James Allison said that he's expecting that R31 will be less effected by that ban than other teams. He said that because they have front exiting exhaust it'll make car less unstable. On the other hand he said that's what he expects, but he isn't sure. :p

Once again I'm quoting the same thing because James Allison said that he's expecting that R31 will be less effected by that ban than other teams. He said that because they have front exiting exhaust it'll make car less unstable. On the other hand he said that's what he expects, but he isn't sure. :p

let's hope so!