Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Some amazing footage from this year's Isle of Man Tourist Trophy - that wheelie in the bend at 2:40min is ... I don't even have a word for that...

I just worked out for my blog that, currently, I spend about 12 hours training (physical, mental, simulated) for each hour of green flag racing I get.

I'm not sure if that's a lot or a little. It works out to about 40 hours a month.

Here's a random thought.

A Nissan Leaf has been entered into the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this year, which is this Sunday.

I'll let you guys know what it's like. I'm not sure what they could do to that car short of ripping out the existing drivetrain and retrofitting something with a little more oomph. My guess is it will be stock and seeing it go up the mountain will be terribly underwhelming.

Definitely! The open class looks really fun this year. I was reading an article on the Dacia's driver Jean-Philippe Dayraut just the other day.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/dayraut-120089-france-hill.html

Also, here's another video by Rhys Millen about preparing for the 2011 PPIHC.

He reveals in the video that his father, Rod Millen of course, will be entering the race this year! This time he'll be in the 2WD Time Attack class in Rhy's Hyundai Genesis from a few years ago. With some performance upgrades of course. :D

Maybe I should just make a thread? :lol:

24 Hours of Finlandia for Kimi :lol:

[video=youtube;acP-R2Vo_fU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acP-R2Vo_fU[/video]

and here's dallenbach with his 1300hp open wheeler. :)

i think at least 2 or 3 cars will get under 10 minut mark this year. win? dallenbach or tajima.

Last edited:
Wow, that thing is so muscle-bound it can hardly move when it goes on the gravel...

a few years ago he did a 10:04 with a none turbo charged older version of this car. now, with even more pavement and something like 500+HP he should go into sub 10's

Last edited:
Dallenbach has been doing this thing for years, he knows the mountain better than most. Him and Tajima are definitely the most experienced. I'd give them both a shot a breaking the 10 minute mark along with Millen.

So, anyone know the percentage of tarmac to gravel this year?

I think that until a huge percentage of the track is paved we won't see the record broken. The transition from pavement to gravel and on and off again makes setting the cars up much mroe difficult and compromises them. This ends up in slower times. Not to mention the weather is such a huge factor. I've been there 3 years now and it will literally go from nice and sunny to a thunderstorm in a matter of minutes, especially near the top. It kind of sucks to see the upper half paved though, it's so much fun to see those cars up there on the gravel.

Thats the plan. They can only do so much a year because of the weather. Now that they have the upper half out of the way, which is the hardest, it should be smooth sailing... :(

Ok so supposedly this pictures was taken two days ago at the entrance to the road. This is several miles (length of road) before the start line to the race and maybe 1/2 mile lower in terms of elevation. I better dress warm this year.

262077_10150220063270025_663655024_7515216_4220587_n.jpg

Saw this on Jalopnik, and it made me lol:

Audi R18 TDI 2011/2012 Owner's Manual

By McNish and Rockenfeller

Chapter 1: Winning, a simple how-to by Tom and Dindo
Chapter 2: How to take the racing line from a GT car
Chapter 3: How to survive love-taps from Ferrari's
Chapter 4: How to survive love-taps from Ferrari's during night
Chapter 5: How to yell at other Germans for racing a silly art car

the timing section at the ppihc site is a pos or doesnt work but from what I can tell, Dallenbach and Millen were the fastest ones on the practice runs at the bottom.

airmenair, they had snow, yes but its been sunny and dry for the last couple of days. check the official photos on theri FB page.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed the sun has been out. I'm actually here right now. Went to fan fest earlier today, weather was nice, spoke to a couple of teams. One guy said that he thought it was about 90% paved now so if the weather holds out I think we'll see the record broken.

Also got to see that insane Dacia and got a sweet autographed shirt from Monster. Its a neat event. Eunos_Cosmos snapped a bunch of pictures so hopefully he'll have them uploaded.