The Android thread

Problem exists since a month it seems, no reaction, this would be material for a hotfix :/

Shamelessly crossposted..

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sc/schumacherm/2011/06/23/IMG_20110623_171557.jpg

I did it! :D It's mine, it's all mine. :p Nexus S, Android and endless amounts of ''son, I am impressed''. It's every bit as good as everyone says...and I've only been using it for half an hour. Still have the task of grasping how to do this and that, but surely it'll be a breeze.

Pic taken with it, I tok it in a shit environment on purpose and it's still a perfectly presentalbe pic. I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it..

So guys...I need some help now. How do I used it?

I want to get some music onto it, make it Slovenian and...well, use the Android market. I've been told that this particular one already has this new version of the Andriod os...how to determine this?

Shamelessly crossposted..

So guys...I need some help now. How do I used it?

I want to get some music onto it, make it Slovenian and...well, use the Android market. I've been told that this particular one already has this new version of the Andriod os...how to determine this?

Welcome to the club! :) To set the language and see the android version, you'll do that all through settings.

From the homescreen, hit the menu button and tap Settings.

Tap "Language and keyboard"

Tap "language settings"

Select Slovenian (hopefully i got your language right)

Hit the back button (within settings screens, Back saves any changes btw)

scroll to "About Phone"

Scroll to where the phone lists the Android Version. The latest version of Gingerbread is 2.3.4 IIRC.

To use the android market, launch the market from the app drawer at the bottom of the homescreen and follow the steps to get set up if necessary. :)

Have fun!

When you first started it, it asked for your google account. That is now your market, gmail, contacts and calendar account. Just find market in the app drawer and run it. Then search for apps and install. It's really easy.

To make it slovenian, you have to go into settings --> language & locale and find slovenian. If it's not there, whoopsie! You'll have to google for that one.

Android version should be the latest, go into settings --> about phone and find it in there. That is also where OTA (over-the-air) updates are handled. Just explore and you'll be fine. You can't ruin the phone by just exploring.

Thanks guys, it's actually very simple to deduce all this...the only thing that is bugging me right now is that my new calls&internet package hasn't been enabled yet. So I cannot use the mobile internet yet, as my old package costs a fortune for the simplest of Google searches. There is also no Wifi ATM near me..

So, can I connect it to the internet via the PC? Usb into phone, usb into pc, use the pc internet? Tethering?

Oh and I connected it via USB, it's showing it as a USB flash drive, but I don't know where to put my music and shit.

Thanks guys, it's actually very simple to deduce all this...the only thing that is bugging me right now is that my new calls&internet package hasn't been enabled yet. So I cannot use the mobile internet yet, as my old package costs a fortune for the simplest of Google searches. There is also no Wifi ATM near me..

So, can I connect it to the internet via the PC? Usb into phone, usb into pc, use the pc internet? Tethering?

Oh and I connected it via USB, it's showing it as a USB flash drive, but I don't know where to put my music and shit.

If you set your pc to create a portable ad-hoc network, you can....you'd just use wifi to connect to the network you create.

Yep, it'll show up as a usb flash drive. I'm a fan of syncing things so I use WMP to manage media, however one can create folders and drag and drop as well.

Last question and then I'm set to enjoy it =) I mentioned that I can't update right now, no web, but it's trying to update itself to Gingerbread. How do it stop it, I don't need it right now and it's getting on my nerves.

Untick automatic updates, it'll stop nagging. But don't you have wifi? You'll want to download it like that anyway, as it's at least 150MB.

Sadly no, I'm at home, in the countryside, so no Wifi...I think that I'll invest into a wireless router soon, keep my computer hooked up and share the very good connection through the house.

Oh and where do I find this auto updates submenu? :p

Last edited:
Sadly no, I'm at home, in the countryside, so no Wifi...I think that I'll invest into a wireless router soon, keep my computer hooked up and share the very good connection through the house.
If you running Win 7 and have a supported WNIC you can set up your PC as a WAP in minutes > www.connectify.me.

Win7, I have. WNIC I dunno what that is. Keep in mind that the PC doesn't have a wireless transmitter or things like that. Just a modem connected to it.

Win7, I have. WNIC I dunno what that is. Keep in mind that the PC doesn't have a wireless transmitter or things like that. Just a modem connected to it.

WNIC = Wireless Network Interface Card..basically a wi-fi dongle. I think we assumed you were on a laptop and not a desktop.

That said, add-on cards are very inexpensive, either in the form of USB or PCI. But you'd be better off getting a cheap router for similar money.

Yes, exactly, this is my future plan. The internet connection is 13/1.5 Mbps, only I use it, so no harm in having a wireless card/router, whatevs to get my Nexus online =)

No idea where it is on a Nexus S. Somewhere in the settings menu. Check about phone/software information.

I think that disabling 3G networking is currently the only option to keep the auto update skyrocketing my phone bill.

But I have discovered that my ISP offers a free wireless router as a bonus in our package. Called them up, in 3-5 days I'll have a wifi inhouse for free. They'll even install it for me. :p I guess I can wait till then to get the Nex online :p

I think we assumed you were on a laptop and not a desktop.
Pretty much that. I assume everyone is on laptops, too few people using desktops these days.
But I have discovered that my ISP offers a free wireless router as a bonus in our package. Called them up, in 3-5 days I'll have a wifi inhouse for free. They'll even install it for me. I guess I can wait till then to get the Nex online
There you go :) Free routers are the best bang for your buck :D

Amen to that...can't wait to start digging into Android market. A nice media player, some games, get the navigation sorted... and stuff like that... Good times are ahead I think :)

Speaking of navigation, I forked over 70 euro for the Navigon Europe app yesterday. :|