Dual exhausts? everywhere, but not on the right cars

Do you think in 40 years there will really be as many Good condition, driving examples of the Geo Prizms on the road as their are 30s and 40s ford coupes today? (both very practical, popular and reliable cars in their day)

No, because back in the days of the 30s and 40s Ford coupes, cars were still a new and expensive thing (look at how many/few cars there were per capita then vs. now) and people were poor enough to treasure them as an asset rather than a disposable part of life. Comparing "people's cars" across that wide a generation gap is completely unfair, and is certainly useless as an argument for body on frame vs. unibody. If someone really wants to preserve a car for 60+ years, aka has enough money to do it, it doesn't matter one drop whether it's unibody, framed, spaceframe, wooden, or cheese.

How many of those 30s and 40s Ford coupes haven't been restored from the ground up? And how many of them are still daily driven? I've talked to a lot of antique/classic car owners and I can't think of a single one that would drive his car to work every day even in the summer, never mind in the winter.

How many of those 30s and 40s Ford coupes haven't been restored from the ground up.

In a sort of abstract way im arguing that people should be doing this as a rule rather than buying new cars and presenting a theory that the previlance of the unibody is partially to make keeping these cars on the road more difficult for the consumer.

Last edited:
People don't buy new cars just because their old one died or rusted out or got totalled. News flash: people like new cars.

1000336-02-00-00-00_lg.png

Are you being serious? Technologies get better. If you have the money and the means why would you NOT want to replace your 20 year old car? Unless it's some sort of rare gem of a car, if you can afford to upgrade, you should do so as often as possible.

My SNES still works, should I have refused to buy a PlayStation, PS2, PS3, and/or Xbox 360?

Your argument sucks.

Are you being serious? Technologies get better. If you have the money and the means why would you NOT want to replace your 20 year old car? Unless it's some sort of rare gem of a car, if you can afford to upgrade, you should do so as often as possible.

My SNES still works, should I have refused to buy a PlayStation, PS2, PS3, and/or Xbox 360?

Your argument sucks.

What the hell?

I have a 98 POS Taurus with over a quarter of a million miles on it.

But you know what? It's my favorite-est kind of car out there. You know...the "paid for" kind.

Thats why I keep it. Yeah, I could go buy a new car, and I'm actually really tempted by the new Fiat 500. If I could get the Abarth version, Id do it. But I don't feel the need to go buy a new car all the time just cause it has a new fancy gadget. You know, the kind that break all the time. ;)

Nor do I feel the need to buy a flash car to show how wealthy I am (I'm not!) Or the need to show off with a new Porsche, even though I'd love one. Or maybe I just like my car. That does happen.

So, no. For most people out there, there really is no "need" to upgrade to a newer version as often as possible, just because there's a newer one. At least I don't think so. :)

Last edited:
What the hell?

I have a 98 POS Taurus with over a quarter of a million miles on it.

But you know what? It's my favorite-est kind of car out there. You know...the "paid for" kind.

Thats why I keep it. Yeah, I could go buy a new car, and I'm actually really tempted by the new Fiat 500. If I could get the Abarth version, Id do it. But I don't feel the need to go buy a new car all the time just cause it has a new fancy gadget. You know, the kind that break all the time. ;)

Nor do I feel the need to buy a flash car to show how wealthy I am (I'm not!) Or the need to show off with a new Porsche, even though I'd love one. Or maybe I just like my car. That does happen.

So, no. For most people out there, there really is no "need" to upgrade to a newer version as often as possible, just because there's a newer one. At least I don't think so. :)
There is no NEED but if I could buy a new car you would.

Do we really need to argue a MattD1zzl3 troll post?

Sure.

V8s are worthless. A 4L single cylinder engine is more reliable. I see 50+ years old 1 cylinder engines run just fine in industrial use.

Sure.

V8s are worthless. A 4L single cylinder engine is more reliable. I see 50+ years old 1 cylinder engines run just fine in industrial use.

Fuck it, I'm getting a Flinstone's car!

Umm, not so much.

Aside from the Mustang, name a sporty car, let alone a true sports car, that uses a live rear axle.

Why have true sports car manufacturers like Porsche or Ferrari not used a solid rear axle in the last 50 years? (Ferraris actually had solid rear axles into the 1960s).

Why did the Corvette ditch the solid rear axle in 1963?

Why did the Mustang's competition (Camaro and Challenger) ditch the solid rear axles?

Further, the next Mustang is going to have IRS, putting the live axle to bed at long last. The solid axle pony car only existed because it was CHEAP. Defending it in anything other than a truck application is like defending drum brakes.

Last edited:
back on track...

True duals....

main.php

Oh, no! Where's the mufflers?

main.php

:)

Why have true sports car manufacturers like Porsche or Ferrari Mazda not used a solid rear axle in the last 50 years?
FTFY :whistle:

Can we make a sandbox/playground for MattDizzle to play in without disturbing the others?

Is this attitude really necessary? Really? Things like this are starting to get incredibly frustrating. How many fucking reasoned paragraphs (rather than e-one liners) do i need to write before dismissive bullshit like this stops. Jesus christ.

Trolling you say? Exactly what part of "I have a theory that car companies have no interest in building durable cars, heres why and heres why and heres an example" is trolling to you? Are some of you just lazy? Do you guys have reading comprehension problems? Maybe internet forums just aren't right for you, what you want is some sort of committee of "Yes-Men" that will agree with you. I think you'll find internet forums are often for the discussion of opinions, sometimes ones *GASP* that you dont share! There is nothing stopping us from disagreeing without resorting to petty insults, THAT is what i would call trolling.

Edit: Wow feels good to get that off my chest, Thread derail over from me (although remember this arose from a discussion of fake duals being a result of packaging difficulties in a unibody's underside), i dont have the willpower even try anymore.

Last edited:
There is no NEED but if I could buy a new car you would.

Not necessarily. I could have afforded a new car years ago, but I haven't bought one for several reasons. I am only considering one now because I want something reliable that I don't have to think about while I spend time fixing up the other 3. However, all the cars I really want are all out of production, the problem is they don't fall into the reliable car category.

Not necessarily. I could have afforded a new car years ago, but I haven't bought one for several reasons. I am only considering one now because I want something reliable that I don't have to think about while I spend time fixing up the other 3. However, all the cars I really want are all out of production, the problem is they don't fall into the reliable car category.
Well I wasn't talking about you specifically, if you are happy with your car then yes I don't see why you would want to get another one. At the same time you are clearly not talking about daily drivers since you mentioned that you don't want any modern cars. Fun cars are fun cars, I myself don't really like much of the current crop of vehicles (aside from 370z and Stang) but if I needed a reliable daily I'd get an Accord or Elantra.

I bought my car because I needed a reliable daily. And so far, it's served the purpose :D

What he said. Though unlike thevictor390, I also get good gas mileage :p.

From what I've heard, fuel isn't the first thing you'll run out of at 80 mph on the highway :p

topic... topic... my car has dual exhausts. Totally relevant.