DiRT 3

Here is my bobsled video, with my setup I used. I just played around with the vehicle setup for an hour until I was able to get close consistently, then it took a few tries.

Got all platinums on the DC challenges yesterday. After I spent so much time with the rest of DiRT Tour, hours for that freaking drift tutorial and the bobsled challenge, the rest of the DC challenges seemed easy. Got some plats first try. Now I just need 20k fans to reach level 35.

Bring on Monte Carlo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I need to spend some time getting Platnium across the board. I usually just got gold and then moved on.

Nice! I need to spend some time getting Platnium across the board. I usually just got gold and then moved on.

Thanks, when I made my initial run through DiRT tour, I just wanted to pass them, and if at the time I thought it was feasible to try for more without spending too much time, I would. After I played through everything, I had about 5-7 platinum medals, maybe 5-7 gold and the rest were about half silver and half bronze. But when I went back to replay the bronze medals, a few times I went straight to platinum!

When it comes to smash attack and gymkhana attack, half the battle is the right route. And, if I remember right, only 1 or 2 of those smash attacks actually have you smash them all, the other two have a few extras. Also, after some practice, know what times you need at various points in the stage. Like in the bobsled video I posted (and thanks for the embed, completely forgot I could do that), I put it so that the times on the video should mirror the actual track split times, as it crosses about 56.5ish. So know that you need to hit x time by under the bridge, x time by the hairpin, etc. It saves you time, as in some gymkhana events if I didn't have a certain time halfway through, I could judge how off-pace I was and just restart instead of wasting time.

And don't be afraid to use flashbacks, especially if you know you're on a hot run. I had a few where I didn't need them, just needed a good run. But I know of at least one time where I could see the finish and had a small screw-up and had to fix it.

Looking forward to the Monte Carlo track pack Tuesday, though admittedly I'll be spending a lot of time with the Uncharted 3 beta. I hope it's not overpriced, but I fear it will be even more than the Power and Glory pack. But I'll buy it anyway...

Last edited:
Oh wow. I don't have this game, but that monte carlo track might convince me. Might that happen to be the same road Top Gear used in the first "Best driving road" episode?

Col De Turini was one of the roads in that TG segment, yes.

Okay, so I need to say this regarding DiRT 3.

The game is brilliant. I love it. It has made me find new found respect for rally drivers. I'm addicted to it. Only had it a few days and almost finished the tour.

However, one thing is bugging me. It is the market place thing. This I don't get at all. So, you pay the money for the game (not an insubstantial amount of money if you bought it the day it came out) and then you have to pay MORE money to download cars and tracks that should have been in the game in the first place?! What the heck is that about?

Why you couldn't have used the reputation you earn to buy the cars, I don't know. What really pisses me off is that sometimes you get a message saying a certain team is interested in you driving for them, so you go to select that livery/car and it says you need to purchase it from the market place!

What a farce. I don't get the idea of spending money on the game and then even more to buy features that should have been in when it was originally released. I'm an avid Codemasters gamer (I buy all their racing titles, F1, GRID, DiRT), but this really angered me.

this goes back to my argument (that viper didnt like i think) about why should i have to pay MORE money to play online if i buy a game used? Thats not DLC, thats just fucked up.

DLC is a great and legit way for companys to make money. I like that.

I dunno, spent a few hours with it over the past couple days and Dirt 3 just didn't grab me like the first one did, and the 2nd failed to do (though I did finish the 2nd). I'm not going to finish 3. I've got too much on my GameFly list that I will enjoy a lot more.

For some reason the speed of the cars irks me. It feels sped up. The "xtreme, dude" attitude of the past 2 games also gets to me. Plus the rally stages are wide, not dangerous and kinda boring. It's a good game, but it doesn't wow me like the first one did.

For some reason the speed of the cars irks me. It feels sped up. The "xtreme, dude" attitude of the past 2 games also gets to me. Plus the rally stages are wide, not dangerous and kinda boring. It's a good game, but it doesn't wow me like the first one did.

That "dude/bro" part about this game irks me a little bit too. Gymkhana just feels like Tony Hawk for the PS2 with cars.

I do, however, kind-of like the free driving around the power station. When you don't have to perform tricks to get some arbitrary score it actually feels a bit more fun. The missions are kind-of interesting too. Though I thought the corkscrew jump was a bit of a cop out. I spent a couple hours trying to line it up so that I landed on the second ramp only to find that you only need to land on your four wheels. So all the time spent doing this while trying to line up both ramps was unnecessary:

The only really dangerous rally stages are Monte Carlo. I just picked them up and find them very, very good. Definitely a challenge with a few of the corners being hairpins without barriers to keep you from careening off the cliff's edge and into an alpine valley. I still have yet to find good car settings on the stages; the car just doesn't want to do what I tell it to do.

Last edited:
Just traded Black Ops for this game. I'm not disappointed so far, but the totally sickrad dudebro who keeps calling me "amigo" between levels is getting on my nerves.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkX4-d1idJ0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJsIS9K16c8[/youtube]

Monte Carlo is brilliant.

some great narrow scary bits for some serious clench moments

I'm not disappointed so far, but the totally sickrad dudebro who keeps calling me "amigo" between levels is getting on my nerves.
Yeah, I'm glad I have a mute-button on my keyboard so I don't have to listen to that ever repeating bullshit...

Something else: does anybody else have the problem of shifting sound in the buggies? If I play with bonnet (hood)-sight the engine sounds of my own buggy shift from right to left and from front to rear. It was with the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS (no hardware support in Windows 7 so software rendering only) and is with the onboard sound of my mainboard, too.

i hate those goddamn buggies

Monte Carlo is brilliant.

some great narrow scary bits for some serious clench moments

I agree wholeheartedly. I love that you can have a nice string of drifts on the downhill sections and get some awesome times.

For those on the fence this is what the Monte Carlo tracks are all about:

And I just love the Mini on these roads. Even if it is a bit underpowered it just feels right.

The only thing I don't like is that they reset your vehicle way too soon if you go over the edge. They should at least give us 2 seconds of the very, very long fall into the valley before pulling the car back onto the track without any damage.

Last edited:
Bought Monte Carlo last night. Quite a fun track.

I also finally turned off all assists last night for the achievement (I normally use ABS and stability control, but the rest off). No ABS is not fun since you understeer like crazy when braking, but wow is no stability control a lot more fun. I shoulda turned it off long ago. You can whomp on the gas and just 4 wheel powerslide through corners now. :woot: I left it off but turned ABS back on and am having even more fun now. ^_^