James May's Things You Need to Know

I'm not surprised.

I liked it and I think it answered a lot of questions people have but never ask.

Not one of his great works, but he did a nice job of it. I wish he would have spent a few more minutes on the bed bug since it was singled out by name. Bed Bugs are a growing problem and while inconvienient, they are not known to spread any diseases despite what people think.

I will be happy to watch the rest of the series.

Do I sense sarcasm?

I read through this thread for 10 minutes and then i middleclicked the tab cause it was so boring.

Well, some of them do have form:

Suspects-JMM.jpg

:p

I've only just caught up with this (don't know where I've been to miss it!)

Guilty as charged, your honour, but a bit taller than you suggested. I object to the hairy chest, though!

Now, I find this interesting.

A biophysicist from Oxford university has tweeted
That 'human body' stuff - were we used anywhere? Was it on TV last Mon?

The response was
We filmed for the international version dude. James May is celeb presenter for UK market. We're in the international versions.

This would suggest that James may have been 'slotted in' at a fairly late stage. Also, if the programme is going onto the international market in a different format, perhaps it does have an educational purpose.

(On the other hand, I could be talking b*ll*cks!)

Last edited:
I've watched a good lot of James's solo stuff. This is the first time I've not watched a programme of his all the way through. :( Usually James can manage to make virtually anything interesting, but... I shut it off after six minutes and change out of boredom. I think this is something more suited to Richard's style of presenting.

I think this is something more suited to Richard's style of presenting.

I agree... but still watched it regardless :) The only thing of theirs I've ever not watched the whole way through was Richard's "Inside Britains Fattest Man" and "Things You Need to Know" was no where near that bad *g*

I liked this second episode so much more than I did the first one. I found it actually very interesting. There was one coherent storyline instead off a torrent of sidelines. thankfully no armchair this time and the information wasn't presented as if it was intended for 8 year olds. Hope the third episode is like this one!

Thank you, Mr Z!

I also liked this one more than the previous one. Space is always an interesting topic and James is a wonderful Professor :) The graphics are interesting and modern. I got a good chuckle out of one of the soundbites "Ow my freaking eyes".

Although it has no bearing on the program whatsoever, I did notice the continuity error with James' shirt and it being unbuttoned. I know this means nothing. Don't be concerned.

Although it has no bearing on the program whatsoever, I did notice the continuity error with James' shirt and it being unbuttoned. I know this means nothing. Don't be concerned.

Errr....noticed it too.:whistle:

Just watched the third episode while at the same time checking reactions on Twitter. Very much 50/50; lots of people liking it a lot, others finding it incredibly patronising or dull.

I just hope James will be doing other science programmes in the future in which he is more involved, instead of just reading the auto cue.

I found it dull, but I hate the weather, or talking aout the weather, or watching the weather, but I did watch it to the end.

For possible reason why James is going back to being a "presenter for hire", see thread on Presenters' finances. Maybe he's just fed up with being worth less than the others*.

*actually, I suspect he was just asked to do it and liked the idea.