2011 NHL Off Season

does anyone believe the New York Islanders could be relocating, or even folding, sometime soon?
Their current contract with Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.

Last edited:
your thoughts about the draft?

For a finlands point of view, i was surprised the lack of drafts for finnish people, all that got drafted were pretty low numbers, but rounds 4-7, no picks at all.
I thought granlund wouldve been lower and perhonen higher.

Shall see how Armia handles the next season, last season performance was a bit of a surprise, now he has to live up to it and improve.
Mikael Granlund was in the same situation last year and he stepped up nicely.

*edit* i noticed that 7th round did produce 3 finnish players..

Last edited:
Rd 7 19 (200) Michael Schumacher LW Los Angeles Kings Frolunda Jr.

hmm...

does anyone believe the New York Islanders could be relocating, or even folding, sometime soon?
Their current contract with Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.

Nah, I doubt that the Islanders would ever relocate. I hear they're voting to build a new area in August from one of my friends in Long Island.

Do you think it will pass in this economic climate?

You don't need to follow the Islanders to know there is no extra monies for such a project. In my opinion, the team and it's owners should cough up the cost. There is no reason for the taxpayers to have to do it.

That's the thing, isn't it? There's Quebec city, and possibly a second team in the Toronto area, though it's really questionable if that would actually work, and beyond that there's really nowhere else that I can see being able to support an NHL team. They consider Winnipeg almost too small a market for an NHL team, outside of Winnipeg every other metro area drops in population by like 250 000 at least. The only larger city without an NHL team is Quebec, for now. 32 million people spread out across 5000km :/

what level is Victoria's hockey team?

edit: it looks like Hamilton (714,900) has roughly the same pop. as Quebec (717,600)
http://www.aneki.com/most_populous_cities_canada.html

i feel Hamilton would be a better place IMHO but for old times sake, Quebec

Four divisions? Could work.

i think you should hold that thought untill we see what they are thinking more clearly. It could really bomb. i love the way the playoffs come down to the last day and i dont wanna see that change. IMO

Predators new jerseys!

It's just the away jersey, but it looks fantastic. Can't wait to see them, and the homes, in action this coming season.

Hey, the ducks just called, they want thier number font back (yes, i know, shut up about the new tampa sweaters...)

You don't need to follow the Islanders to know there is no extra monies for such a project. In my opinion, the team and it's owners should cough up the cost. There is no reason for the taxpayers to have to do it.

Definitely agree with that. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets or got voted down. THat's what holding up Quebec City getting their new rink built as it would be built using tax payer money. I wish they followed Winnipeg's model. They built a smaller and less fancier arena yes, but it was 100% privately funded.

As for the new realignment.. please God no more divisional play offs! Ugh.

No idea, but it's well past time for the Coyotes to pack up and move. I think the Portland, OR area could be a good market.

We were inching close to getting the Buffalo Sabres, then the Pittsburgh Penguins, but couldn't get the funds or support to build a stadium.
If a stadium were to be built in the right district in Portland, and tickets were competitive with the Blazers, then an NHL team would undoubtedly be supported.