[17x01] June 26th, 2011

[17x01] June 26th, 2011

• Total voters
I like the way they introduced Amy with the whole slow motion rise and sexy reveal.

She wasn't the only one doing a slow motion rise at that point.

8 for me, enjoyed it overall, no point that bored me or anything. Hot skeleton girl helped as well.

Brilliant. A proper car ep that left me feeling good. 9/10

A very, very good episode- just the right balance of everything. And if I may say one thing- Jeremy, I couldn't care less what goes on in your private life- just keep up the good work mate.

1. Loved the Maruader segment, but honestly the H3 is a tarted up Tahoe. Nice try, guys.
2. The 1M is nice, and a good segment, but waay to expensive.
3. Well, I'm a fan of Alice, so....
4. Like the Mini (both), Amy's cute, and the car won. Ignored Clarkson's predictable fawning over the chick. That joke needs to be taken out back and shot.
5. I like the original E-type, but the Eagle? Not so much.

Onward!

Great start of the series. :)

I gave it a 9. For a 10 it would have to include a segment with the 3 of them. That was the only thing that was missing from this episode.

Last edited:
Great start of the season!!

The 1m :bow:

Soundtrack of this episode was AWESOME!!!

I gave it an 8 (I think) so I'll have room to go higher as the season goes on. I was worried that this might be the start of the downward slide, but thankfully I was wrong. It didn't have an super "over the top" moment (well, the Jag tribute was sorta close), but it was a very good example of what makes Top Gear great- let's just have fun with cars. Carry on, lads!

1. Loved the Maruader segment, but honestly the H3 is a tarted up Tahoe. Nice try, guys.
Worse actually, H3 is based on the Colorado truck, 5 cylinder. H2 is based on Tahoe. But I'm sure they used the H3 to make the Maruader look bigger and H3 is cheaper to blow up.

That was so good, I'm so surprised! There was no 9 year old boy humor or pointless racism! The entire episode was about cars and not one of them an Aston! More of this please!!!

Last edited:
Worse actually, H3 is based on the Colorado truck, 5 cylinder. H2 is based on Tahoe. But I'm sure they used the H3 to make the Maruader look bigger and H3 is cheaper to blow up.

I'd thought the H2 was a Suburban in civilian life. Oh well, it's not like it was the H1.

Very solid or even very good season opener, much better than last seasons.

Hammond playing with Maruader was.... great actually! I should hate that part reading it from the paper, but it really made me laugh out loud. One of the best parts of a very good episode.
News was good and actually about cars. As far as i'm concerned news should be the holy ground that's purely about cars not about some clearly written "cocking about" segment. Could have been more about new cars, but was good still.
M1 was solid and cinemagraphy was jaw dropping. Watching this from a 50" full HD was a joy and i thought Top Gear could have not improved there from previous seasons! I was clearly wrong there.

Cooper was one of the better guests, driving part was almost too bad to watch though. :D

Mini was ok and i was only interested at certain parts of that segment if i'm honest.... Jeremy in the end asked all the questions i cared and stopped firmly when it was starting to get boring. ;)
AmyWilliams.jpg

giggity

Jag was great. I was just thinking myself when they showed the speedster that "damn if that's not build from the original and i can get it for 70 000 euros at some day i just might own that thing", but when he told that it was made from the original my dreams where shattered and after that when Jeremy told that that the price was even 2x of what i thought it to be even if it was build from original it started to get on the silly side, unfortunately.

It's a strong 8
PS. I don't give episodes 10 just because it's TG so as far as i'm concerned this was standout episode and even a season opener of that!

I just went back and read the entire thread and I'm a bit surprised with the people saying the E-type tribute got too over the top. Maybe it's just me being a Yank, but I really liked that. I like watching Jezza get all patriotic and over the top. I loved seeing the spitfires roaring through the sky and all the nonsense. I loved it. :lol:

Same. It even had a comical relief at the end TG knowing that it was totally over the top. It was great!!

Last edited:
I'd thought the H2 was a Suburban in civilian life. Oh well, it's not like it was the H1.
Kind of the same I believe, since the Tahoe had a XL version that was basically a Suburban.

Did notice the H3 had a V8 option apparently, hadn't seen that, only heard of the 5 cyl options.

I gave this a solid 8.

Alice Cooper was a fabulous guest. Loved him.

The Marauder was funny more than anything, but the look on Hammonds was was priceless. :D

The part with Amy was also good. I notice that James always gets the bits with the pretty girls. :p

The E-Type was fantastic! I so want one of those....someday. And including the flag stuff on the cliff was really beautiful.

But most of all.......where on Earth did James get that shirt!!??
:lol:

Last edited:
All right, long time lurker here who forgot his original username and password. Also was stupid enough to close his old email account >_>...

Anyway, onto the review:

Marauder: Ehhhhh, hate the Hummer brand and all things GM, so it redeemed the segment. Him towing the police's tow truck was great, rolling over the Alfa was bad and definitely cost this segment a point. 5/10

News: Good balance of actual car news and a bit of cocking about with the MG 6 (a disgusting car, deserves the mockery). 9/10

SIARPC: Alice was a decent guest, wish he had talked more about his (apparently) long car history. Lap was impressive, I don't think Clarkson gave him enough credit because of the VW lap only marked as W (though no C-apostrophe-D laps have been). 8/10

Mini WRC: I loved everything about this segment, from Amy's hotness to Kris Meeke being an awesome driver. Echoed the Dirt 3 Bobsleigh challenge (same car, same livery, same track), which I greatly appreciated since I loved the game. Wish Clarkson didn't cut off Meeke at the end. 10/10

E-Type: A great echo to Clarkson's last emotional film. As an Aussie and a Yank, it was still touching nonetheless to see him do the model a favour. It felt patriotic in the not-in-your-face-but-still-honourable manner, so I enjoyed it. 10/10

So as an average, 8.4/10, and it rounds down both mathematically and to account for the "Woo, TopGear is back" syndrome.

Final: 8/10.

Last edited:
Jeremy not wearing his wedding ring I see.

about the wedding ring, i was watching an episode from s13 the other day n i checked n he wasnt wearing one then either so.. he just doesnt like wearing it i guess?

A lot of men Jeremy's age and older don't wear them - I can't remember off the top of my head ever seeing him wearing one.

This. :nod: Jeremy's never worn a wedding ring. And I do think it's an age/generational thing; my dad's almost 70, and he doesn't wear one.

Anyway, yep. A very solid show and an excellent start to S17. I hope they'll keep it up! :)

Last edited:
* Marauder in South Africa: great
* BMW 1M: brilliant little car
* Alice Cooper: as Rainbow said once "Long live, rock and roll"
* Amy Williams: the ice was never hotter...
* James May having a crisis in the Mini WRC!
* E-type and E-type look-alike sound: spine-tingling
* Overall: 9/10

Last edited: