Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Last time they fixed the wiper fluid. The hose was disintegrated past the point of patching and the trunk wouldn't pop because victor's RX8 was contagious apparently. The time before that was the transmission which I believe they accidentally repaired properly because the car is not as painfully slow anymore and revs higher.

No, you said that they'd fixed the A/C - what'd they fix?

Oh, I would have to go look for the paper I think they didn't even do the whole thing they did the hose or something (I assume it was the mice eating it).

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2467187554.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2462009993.html <-- Corolla, $900.
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2427034908.html <-- $900 Pathfinder

There's some decent stuff in that CL for cheap. Dump the Saturn already.

I think a saving up of paychecks is in order...*hmm* 500 bucks every two weeks means that in 4 - 6 weeks (after all, I know i'll end up spending some of it) I shall have 1k...enough for a basic CL car. :)

I'm guessing it's for people who have drivers for their cars so they can enjoy the convertible experience ... with a driver who won't have his hat blown off.

Having no relation to anything.

Today when I was running errands, I found a Toyota Tacoma parked at one of the stores I go to. It had a Zoom-Zoom license plate frame like I see Mazda owners have sometimes.

On Friday I saw an older Hyundai Tiburon (like early 2000s) with the badges replaced to say Tuscani Elisa 2.7. Nothing else was different about the car, they just replaced all of the badges with those. o_o I hadn't seen someone do that (but apparently some people do that) until that point.

Having no relation to anything.

Today when I was running errands, I found a Toyota Tacoma parked at one of the stores I go to. It had a Zoom-Zoom license plate frame like I see Mazda owners have sometimes.

On Friday I saw an older Hyundai Tiburon (like early 2000s) with the badges replaced to say Tuscani Elisa 2.7. Nothing else was different about the car, they just replaced all of the badges with those. o_o I hadn't seen someone do that (but apparently some people do that) until that point.

I saw an otherwise stock Elantra with "Avante" badging and I see Genesis models with the winged logo replacing the Hyundai one all the time. I guess KDM is a thing.

I pushed it to the repair shop but yeah I totally get that I'm only enjoying a time before it's broken again. I plan to get a tune up this weekend.

Don't get a "tune-up". At most buy a can of MAF and/or throttle body cleaner (don't use carb cleaner on an EFI engine) and spray your engine sensors.

Rick, it's time to stop throwing money at it. My brother got into the same situation with his Celica. You fix one thing, another goes. He has spent thousands, all small amounts adding up, fixing little things that keep going wrong, and now it's sitting in his garage needing a new engine. At that stage in a cars life, it's not worth keeping on fixing little things because something else will always break, and eventually it will break beyond sensible repair. Get rid of it while you can.

If you really want to keep it, do a proper rebuild on it. That is the point I am at with the Roadmaster. It still runs fine and all, but it has a growing list of small nagging things that need to get fixed. So it is either fix them all or move on.

They only come with the winged logo, they don't actually have any Hyundai badging on them.

ORLY?

112_0801_03z+2009_hyundai_genesis_sedan+rear_driver_profile.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-001.jpg

I found a Toyota Tacoma parked at one of the stores I go to. It had a Zoom-Zoom license plate frame like I see Mazda owners have sometimes.

Was it a dealer plate? The Tacoma could've been bought at a Mazda dealer that have "Zoom-Zoom" on their license plate frames.

Last edited:
Don't get a "tune-up". At most buy a can of MAF and/or throttle body cleaner (don't use carb cleaner on an EFI engine) and spray your engine sensors.

Rick, it's time to stop throwing money at it. My brother got into the same situation with his Celica. You fix one thing, another goes. He has spent thousands, all small amounts adding up, fixing little things that keep going wrong, and now it's sitting in his garage needing a new engine. At that stage in a cars life, it's not worth keeping on fixing little things because something else will always break, and eventually it will break beyond sensible repair. Get rid of it while you can.

I know this surprises no one but I already spent more than the car was worth fixing something a few years ago (my dad pretty much got conned into it "he's a good guy i swear, I want to give him more business, he did my car for a fair price...you go to him and get your car fixed" and the car needed to be fixed asap so yeah...) so yeah I should really throw in the towel. 6 weeks and I'll have enough for a new used car. Believe it.

I've resigned myself to selling the Saturn for scrap, as the Odometer's broken, and I'm not terribly sure how long the engine will last: Sounds fine while driving and when at a stop in neutral, sounds/feels rough (almost a throbbing sensation/sound) when at idle in gear after driving even a short distance.

If you really want to keep it, do a proper rebuild on it. That is the point I am at with the Roadmaster. It still runs fine and all, but it has a growing list of small nagging things that need to get fixed. So it is either fix them all or move on.

Yeah the small things keep increasing..its time to make a move for myself.

EDIT: Just for shits I went here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167845 to see what exactly I need replacing:

Coolant Temp Sensor
Thermostat
Oxygen Sensor
(those three are probably the reason's why the thing gets Excursion like gas mileage, I got gas on Monday morning and I'm already half empty...what the fuck?!)

Spark Plugs + Wires
You should change these every two years or 30k miles; wires I personally would let go until every 60k miles or if you get any kind of P0340/P0341 or misfire codes. ALWAYS USE NGK COPPER SPARK PLUGS, and any mid-priced wire set.
I've had the car for 4.5 years. And I'm sure I've traveled more than 30k miles. Whoops...:|

NEW CAR TIME!

Last edited:
Should I get rid of my WRX and get a Fiat 500 next spring or should I hold onto it until the Abarth comes out?

Pretty serious. My WRX looks like shit because the previous owner decided to butcher it with a stupid body kit and stupid headlights, a crappy ebay intercooler, crappy intake, also its an automatic. It's just to much work to get it to how I want, plus living in Chicago there isn't a place where I can work on it and stuff. Also I just want a commuter that I don't have to worry about fixing it up. Also I get a discount on the car through work...