Portal 2 [Contains spoilers, you've been warned!]

The ending of Portal 2 is definitely a lot less open to a sequel than the ending of the original Portal was.

So yeah, not sure if we'll ever see Portal 3. Maybe some additional sections as DLC?

If I like Portal, will I like Half Life as well? I have the Orange Box but I haven't made much progress on Half Life, it makes me really sick if I don't make any progress for 1/2 an hour.

I don't see the point of a sequel...

...unless they use a new playable character, which will be kinda lame. I don't think it'll be a good idea to bring the girl back, since she was released at the end of P2.

I was more thinking of incursioning into a Half life/portal crossover, Perhaps adding some hours of portaling in half life by motive of the borealis portaling back to its dock. or chell going back for (insert macguffin)

GLaDOS: What, You again?!! All those asbestos must've gone to your head, Well since you're here (Dramatic closing of all exits) How about we run some tests? For nostalgia's sake.

Portal may get a sequel, they left some knots untied and are wondering how to close them (They don't seem to reach consensus on whether if GLaD actually deleting Caroline and one interview mentioned they can bring back Wheatley, should he be needed again.)

Personally I'd like to see F-Stop getting made. To sum it, F-Stop was a game that greatly developed the history of aperture, it was supposed to take place in the glory and decline of aperture and wouldn't have featured any portals whatsoever. The lobbies of the condemmed testing spheres, especially the '50s are what's left from the development of that. Pipe dream if there ever was one.

So yeah, I'm waiting for a sequel aswell. I suggest you pull up a chair.

Last edited:
If I like Portal, will I like Half Life as well? I have the Orange Box but I haven't made much progress on Half Life, it makes me really sick if I don't make any progress for 1/2 an hour.

Not necessarily, they are just based on the same gaming engine but that's pretty much it.

Half-Life is basically a straight up FPS... one of the best of all time, but it's not got anything like the unique puzzle solving that is the cornerstone of Portal.

But if you have even a passing interest in FPS you should play the Half-Life games, Half-Life 2 stills holds up pretty well IMO.

Half-Life has a similar method of storytelling to Portal (or rather, vice-versa). It's also similarly linear. There's a lot to like, but I also get a bit bored on some of the longer combat or vehicle sections. Or while getting chased by an unkillable helicopter for the umpteenth time.

I suspect some type of Half-Life tie-in.

I was more thinking of incursioning into a Half life/portal crossover, Perhaps adding some hours of portaling in half life by motive of the borealis portaling back to its dock. or chell going back for (insert macguffin)

GLaDOS: What, You again?!! All those asbestos must've gone to your head, Well since you're here (Dramatic closing of all exits) How about we run some tests? For nostalgia's sake.

Portal may get a sequel, they left some knots untied and are wondering how to close them (They don't seem to reach consensus on whether if GLaD actually deleting Caroline and one interview mentioned they can bring back Wheatley, should he be needed again.)

Personally I'd like to see F-Stop getting made. To sum it, F-Stop was a game that greatly developed the history of aperture, it was supposed to take place in the glory and decline of aperture and wouldn't have featured any portals whatsoever. The lobbies of the condemmed testing spheres, especially the '50s are what's left from the development of that. Pipe dream if there ever was one.

I'm leaning towards Caroline still being in there as well. Towards the end of the co op campaign GLaDOS becomes a little more empathetic, not to mention the lyrics of the opera and the song. I imagine if a second sequel is made for Portal, GlaDOS won't be the villain.

The idea of a Portal/HL crossover is one that I'm open to. Valve even said that Chell would eventually come across somebody important from Half Life. Still, I'd like to find out more about Aperture Science and what the whole Cave Johnson, Caroline and GLaDOS entails.

Not necessarily, they are just based on the same gaming engine but that's pretty much it.

Half-Life is basically a straight up FPS... one of the best of all time, but it's not got anything like the unique puzzle solving that is the cornerstone of Portal.

But if you have even a passing interest in FPS you should play the Half-Life games, Half-Life 2 stills holds up pretty well IMO.

While the gameplay was excellent, what I really liked about Portal was the atmosphere and writing. What I'm asking really is, is there that same air of mystery and/or humour in Half Life?

Last edited:
There's a lot to like, but I also get a bit bored on some of the longer combat or vehicle sections. Or while getting chased by an unkillable helicopter for the umpteenth time.

That's why I can't play HL, I just get bored of the linear parts and angry with the driving physics. The puzzles are a big part of Portal IMO.

HL-1 is a bit out dated these days, if you never played it I'd wait for Black Mesa to be released (if that ever happens? they've been working on it for 5 year now...). HL2 is just a ridiculously fun game. I played it about 5 times start to finish so far and I'm gonna play it again soon. I just really really love it so maybe I'm not the right one to ask ;)

No, it's not. They just added ragdoll physics for npcs and a water shader. That's why Black Mesa was started. Wait for that. It's in the final closed beta stages now.

While the gameplay was excellent, what I really liked about Portal was the atmosphere and writing. What I'm asking really is, is there that same air of mystery and/or humour in Half Life?

Just my opinion, but no. I didn't really find many similarities between the two.

Edit: I agree that you should play HL2, the original is like what, 15 years old now?

No, it's not. They just added ragdoll physics for npcs and a water shader. That's why Black Mesa was started. Wait for that. It's in the final closed beta stages now.

Is that basically a remake of HL1 using the HL2 engine? I tried playing HL1 a few times, but never really got into it, but I have to play it in order to play HL2 + Episodes.

Is that basically a remake of HL1 using the HL2 engine? I tried playing HL1 a few times, but never really got into it, but I have to play it in order to play HL2 + Episodes.

Not even that... They just took very few elements of the game and upgraded em to source engine (a bit of the physics, a bit of water enhancements and such). It's still HL1... Black Mesa will be a complete rebuild of the game with the source engine and that'll be worth the while.

Not even that... They just took very few elements of the game and upgraded em to source engine (a bit of the physics, a bit of water enhancements and such). It's still HL1... Black Mesa will be a complete rebuild of the game with the source engine and that'll be worth the while.

I'd buy that, probably should wait for that to come out and then play HL1 and 2 in preparation for 3.

Black Mesa will be free, provided you own a Source game that comes with the Source SDK (the free Portal and Team Fortress 2 weren't such games). If you own the Orange Box, you're fine.

I've been following that from a distance for years, I actually assumed that they had given up. Looking forward to it coming out, I've never played HL1 but have watched all of Freeman's Mind.

I'm thinking the same thing, at least, that's what I'm hoping for. (I felt the same way at the end of the first Portal)

I'm thinking thy might just do it, but it'll take them a bit.