Dreaded cyclists

Well, the key problem with cyclists -- at least in my area -- is not the fact, that they are almost constantly violating the traffic rules.

The main problem I see, is that a vast number of cyclists doesn't even know these rules, because they haven't got a driving license, which is the only way to get to know these rules. Of course there are those cyclists, who think they are a better person, because apart from their bad breath aren't emitting any CO2 in the atmosphere but frankly I see those in the minority.

The majority -- at least here -- are elderly men and women, who obviously have no idea about traffic rules, don't know how to switch on the lights on their bikes and in big parts don't know how to use the brakes either. Every day I see women braking their bikes with their feet, jumping off and slowing it down like a bolting horse. In addition to that, they are going so slow on their bicycles, that they have problems maintaining a straight line.

And if they are caught violating traffic rules, they react with indignation. It's these people, who also in many cases lack any risk awareness and completely rely on the attention of car drivers, which are the main problem. Not so much the "bicycle rowdies". They are bad, too, but at least they do it with acceptance of the risks involved.

Solution? I dunno. Maybe we really need some kind of physical and mental qualifying test for bicycle riders. But who should provide such a test and who should oversee it later?

The least we can do, is not mak?ng car drivers liable, too, when they collide with cyclists who obviously violated traffic rules.

Last edited:
What's this "blam?" that doesn't sound like doing automated sentry guns right...

gatlin2Bminigun_original.jpg

What's this "blam?" that doesn't sound like doing automated sentry guns right...

gatlin2Bminigun_original.jpg

Problem with those is, ammo for it is expensive and they go through it at an amazing pace, buckshot however is dirt cheap.
Remember cyclist are only protected by some lycra so it will more then suffice.

Idealy we could start charging a roadtax on bycycles so they can pay for the ammo themselves.

I should realy go into politics.....or therapy.

Last edited:
I would not be opposed to a "bicycling" license, at the very least maybe a written laws test. But please don't lump all cyclists into groups who don't know/how to follow the law. It irks other (mostly) law-abiding cyclists to see these cyclists denigrate the overall reputation, just as much as drivers do. Ignorance/asshole behavior happens whether on 2 or 4 wheels, human or octane powered.

Last edited:
I would not be opposed to a "bicycling" license, at the very least maybe a written laws test.

We have those in elementary school. Failing the test only means you aren't allowed to ride your bike to school though, no effect on the rest of the world. Works as a motivation though, and comes with training. IMO the training is more important than the test itself.

We even get to ride around on these miniature training courses:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/07/05/PICT6376_Verkehrsschule_Leverkusen.JPG

Last edited:
We have those in elementary school. Failing the test only means you aren't allowed to ride your bike to school though, no effect on the rest of the world. Works as a motivation though, and comes with training. IMO the training is more important than the test itself.
[/url]

Agree, even though many cyclists might decry the supposed "intervention" of the government, the issue is that no licensing requirements breeds all sorts of ignorant riders and dangerous bicycles. If a 30-min test can improve the behavior of 90% of cyclists (and decrease animosity toward motorists), I'm all for it.

We even get to ride around on these miniature training courses:

wow, we had that exact same procedure as well! i didn't know they did that nationwide... or maybe our elementary schools were just special in that way.
i remember it being VERY strict and accompanied by a policeman even... very german. it annoyed me a bit tbh.

also: what is it with german lighting laws? why am i not allowed to have battery powered lights on my bike if i dont have a roadbike below 11kg?
i think they should be grateful i have lights, unless many other a reckless rider -.-

Last edited:
I would not be opposed to a "bicycling" license, at the very least maybe a written laws test. But please don't lump all cyclists into groups who don't know/how to follow the law. It irks other (mostly) law-abiding cyclists to see these cyclists denigrate the overall reputation, just as much as drivers do. Ignorance/asshole behavior happens whether on 2 or 4 wheels, human or octane powered.

I would love to say that this is the case of a vocal minority having a bad reflection on the majority but my experience is that its at least 80% complete and utter assholes who think that rules don't apply to them (if they know them at all), 15% regular riders (occasional breaking of the law like all of us) and 5% of overly cautious that are in some ways worse than the first group.

the only major problem i would have with forcing bicyclist to have a license...what about the kids? from the age of 6 all the way until i graduated i went to school with my bike. and if i wasn't at school, i was hauling around on it with my friends.
i did live a in very low traffic road, but for the law that doesn't matter, a road is a road, and i wouldn't have been allowed to be there. that would've sucked! i spent half my childhood on my bike!

wow, we had that exact same procedure as well! i didn't know they did that nationwide... or maybe our elementary schools were just special in that way.
i remember it being VERY strict and accompanied by a policeman even... very german. it annoyed me a bit tbh.

Yup. Local police had one policeman who did not much besides taking a bunch of kids to the Verkehrserziehungsplatz.

also: what is it with german lighting laws? why am i not allowed to have battery powered lights on my bike if i dont have a roadbike below 11kg?
i think they should be grateful i have lights, unless many other a reckless rider -.-

Get a hub generator with LED lights. Best thing ever, the power required to light up is virtually zero. I can spin the front wheel by hand up in the air with the generator going and it will keep spinning on its own for a while. No way that would work with a traditional friction generator.
Additionally, even after a week or two of not riding the storage for marker light when stationary still is charged :D

Bone: Get schools to teach bicycle courses. Every few years there would be refresher courses adapted to the age. At first you would do basic stuff, riding on the sidewalk, etc. Then you'd start with riding on the road, later you do mopeds, etc etc.

the only major problem i would have with forcing bicyclist to have a license...what about the kids? from the age of 6 all the way until i graduated i went to school with my bike. and if i wasn't at school, i was hauling around on it with my friends.
i did live a in very low traffic road, but for the law that doesn't matter, a road is a road, and i wouldn't have been allowed to be there. that would've sucked! i spent half my childhood on my bike!
This varies country by country but in my state the law states that kids ride their bikes on the sidewalk not the road. I don't remember what the cut off age is though. At the same time just because its a license it doesn't have to be one of those available at 18 or 21 or w/e. Its a bicycle not a motor vehicle no reason why you couldn't get a license for it at 14 or so.

One hour ago I "met" a female cyclist. Very pretty woman actually.

Of course she wasn't using the perfectly suitable cycle path and preferred to ride on the road in the middle of rush hour. And for good measure she was also cycling with only one hand at the handlebar. With the other she held her mobile phone to her ear.

It's the kind of women most men secretly desire: Pretty but dumb :p

We have those in elementary school. Failing the test only means you aren't allowed to ride your bike to school though
No, it doesn't mean that, although many schools claim it does. The school also has no way of forbidding younger children who didn't take traffic education (all few hours in 4th grade of it, done by a more or less clueless police officer) to ride their bike to school.
The only thing a school can forbid is riding a bike on the school grounds.

A bicycle license is practically impossible or at least very, very difficult to implement exactly because bicycles are the mode of transport of choice for children. Try forbidding all those children to use it. Good luck surviving that political shitstorm.

No, it doesn't mean that, although many schools claim it does. The school also has no way of forbidding younger children who didn't take traffic education (all few hours in 4th grade of it, done by a more or less clueless police officer) to ride their bike to school.
The only thing a school can forbid is riding a bike on the school grounds.

A bicycle license is practically impossible or at least very, very difficult to implement exactly because bicycles are the mode of transport of choice for children. Try forbidding all those children to use it. Good luck surviving that political shitstorm.
Read above, even current laws (at least in my state) make a distinction between a kid and an adult, no reason why other places can't do that.

At the very least a written test would make people, cyclists and drivers, aware (even if only for 5 min, not like you remember everything from your driver's license test) the rules and rights of the road for cyclists and motorists.

It's not like motorists alone have it easy either. >30 thousand American die on the road every year, yet we treat that as if it's just a normal part of life and call them "accidents". The root of the problem isn't cars/bicycles/motorcycles/etc., it's ignorance and lack of education, awareness, and respect.

Agree. Children may ride bicycles. Just not on the road. Kerb (like pedestrians) or private terrains. Bicycles on the road should have licensed rider, registration, lights and maybe insurance.

@MacGuffin

You are clearly luckier than me. Today I met TWO of them, both of them on the wrong side of the rpad (the side I was regularly on, in both case), both of them talking into their mobile phones. And neither of them was a pretty girl either!

Last edited:
^^And? Racingconditions, chasecar driver fucked up, it happens :dunno:

Point? Or just trolling as usual?