2011 Southern Vancouver Island Trip - Pics and Vids

Veritable

Car(s)
'13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT
Equipment is a Canon 50D, with a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, and a B+W Circular Polarizer. Car is a 2008 BMW E90 M3 Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic.

Here's the Google Maps link of the route: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=F...mra=dvme&mrsp=9&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9&z=9

Day 1 started in Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal....

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

Then, after disembarking in Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal, I took a route that I discovered by my usual means: "How do I go from here to there, without driving on the boring freeways?" "Ooooooh, that looks like fun on Google Street View...." The road goes through what is called the Highlands, and for lack of a better explanation, it looks like someone took a hiking trail and paved it into a road. Tight, twisty, plenty of elevation changes, huge trees just FEET from the road, and barely wide enough for 2 cars.

The ridiculous amount of tall trees meant the pictures were underwhelming, but they give you an idea:

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

After emerging from the Highlands, neatly skirting urban Victoria, then it's down to Sooke to do the Sooke Loop:

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

Then, onto the West Coast Highway, BC Hwy 14, to Port Renfrew:

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

Here's another one of those roads that I "discovered," which is a LOGGING ROAD that the BC government PAVED, in order to complete what is called the Southern Island Circle Tour. Logging roads always look like great drives on overhead maps, being deep in the forest with lots of twists and turns. They're usually dirt and gravel roads, though, so imagine what a gem this one is, being paved all the way through.

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

Overnight in downtown Nanaimo:

IMG_3672.jpg

Day 2, here's the Pacific Rim Highway (BC Hwy 4) Westbound from Port Alberni to the Tofino / Ucluelet junction:

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

Pacific Rim National Park Reserve Visitor Centre:

IMG_3690.jpg

Ucluelet waterfront, with a couple of my best pictures on the trip. It's one of those rare times when even the weather, lighting and scenery all cooperated. I'm actually in talks right now to trade my car in for a 2011 Interlagos Blue M-DCT sedan, trying to get one of the last ones to be built; but dang, Melbourne Red looked great here:

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

I took a wrong turn when leaving the town, and stumbled into a newly developing housing area. These epic scenes will be some lucky person's back patio view....

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

Looked for picture opportunities while driving Westbound on Hwy 4, so did the photo opportunities on the way back. Hey, the ferry was not for 5-6hrs anyways....

Here's the epic cliffside drive of the Pacific Rim Highway. Can you believe that they even drive 42ft tractor trailers on it? Well, the supermarkets in Tofino need their veggies and frozen meat....

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

More beautiful scenery alongside BC Hwy 4:

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

Finally, a quick rest stop in Port Alberni, with the paper mill in the background:

IMG_3738.jpg

As usual, I'll be posting GoPro footages throughout the week. Here's the aforementioned "Highlands" with the bumper cam, which gives you a much better impression of how tight and how many elevation changes there are. I wouldn't call it a "great" road, because of the complete lack of scenery, but it's certainly technically demanding. I'd call it a rally route, but paved so perfect for my BMW :)

[video=youtube;Jy52-GGXXG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy52-GGXXG4[/video]

...and I was going slow enough to not get much wind noise! Well, it would be quite hard to go much faster than I did on that road anyways... it's pretty insane, especially with the tree roots just feet from the road edge, and the threat of oncoming traffic. I haven't been on any of the rally stages, but I'd bet that route was pretty close to a WRC tarmac stage.

Thanks for reading, and expect more videos later on this week.

Last edited:
Great! Love it!

Vancouver Island is an absolutely beautiful place. I'd like to do a backroad tour of the more northern parts, maybe Duncan to Cowichan to Port Alberni if it's possible.

(yes I know, that's not exactly "north" but it's more north than victoria)

Very nice post. I spent the last five years living on Vancouver Island and that brings back all sort of memories. That road through the highlands is fun, unfortunatly the only time I drove it is when headed to the ferries in my old 61 Hillman with half a turn of steering slop and useless brakes.

Great pics!
Vancouver Island is probably my favorite travel destination.
I love that the climate is so mild.
Although it can be rather cool 10 months out of 12, Victoria doesn't get much rain or cloudy weather due to the "rain shadow" effect of the Olympic Mountains in Washington.

Vancouver Island is an absolutely beautiful place. I'd like to do a backroad tour of the more northern parts, maybe Duncan to Cowichan to Port Alberni if it's possible.

(yes I know, that's not exactly "north" but it's more north than victoria)

"North" is Campbell River, Gold River, Port Hardy, Port Alice. Done that over the Victoria Day weekend last year, and hopefully will be doing it again over a 3-days trip in late July :)

Gold River Highway (BC Hwy 28) through Strathcona Provincial Park has epic scenery, while Port Alice Highway (BC Hwy 30) is crazy twisty (I remember my neck hurting after the 30km jaunt). Both of them are well worth the trip "up north."

The tittle should show that this is really an advertisement for BMW STIG.

2nd video is up, after coming out of the rally tarmac stage that is the Highlands, I changed the camera position for Millstream Road, that takes you from the boonies back into civilization:

3rd video, showing you the South Sooke Loop, which is the detour I did in the bottom part of the trip:

[video=youtube;S2s3M8K-q40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2s3M8K-q40[/video]

Next video, BC Hwy 14, West Coast Highway, starts with a view of Jordan River and ending up with a relatively high-speed jaunt approaching Port Renfrew:

[video=youtube;-xQ7g1u_GSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xQ7g1u_GSI[/video]

Was last on Vancouver Island in 2003 having driven across country from Ontario with the family in our old Chevy Astro van. So beautiful - miss it so much! Last year had a chance to ride my bike around on the BC mainland for 2 weeks but did not have time to make it across to the Island. Thank you, your pictures brought back a lot of memories.

Here is that paved logging road I've been harping on about, Harris Creek Mainline that cuts through the heart of south-central Vancouver Island, that lets you leave Port Renfrew without going back the way you came from, by taking you on a 60km jaunt through essentially nothing, to Lake Cowichan. The pavement is not perfect, but it's a LOGGING ROAD. That's PAVED. Awesome!

It's even got an overtake by an LCI E90 335d at the end.

Please excuse the rattling; my GoPro housing broke right before this video was taken, so it was shot with the housing's back cover not closed fully. In fact, the back cover was held on by jaming the housing right against my car's front bumper :p

Then, here's a more mundane run that shows you the scenery at the start of the Pacific Rim Highway (BC Hwy 4), going westbound into Port Alberni. What you see here are the shores of Cameron Lake, and then Cathedral Grove of MacMillan Provincial Park.

Boy, video editing is tough business....

Here are the final 2 videos from the trip. The first one is the left front wheel well cam, showing you the best stretch of the Pacific Rim Highway (BC Hwy 4) going into the Tofino / Ucluelet junction. A bit trafficky, and in retrospect I should have had the camera on the RIGHT side (because that is where the ocean views are), but I think the video still shows you what a great road it is.

Of course, the lack of views in the 1st video is remedied by the return trip, with the windshield cam: