2011 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Silverstone_Circuit_2010_version.png

Race date: 10th of July, 2011
Number of laps: 52
Circuit length: 5.901 km
Race distance: 306.747 km
Lap record: 1:30.874 (Fernando Alonso, 2010)
Last winner: Mark Webber

1) What do you think the race podium will look like?
2) Will the engine mapping changes make the racing closer?
3) Can the rule changes take Red Bull down the top spot and open things up for Ferrari and McLaren?
4) Are you looking forward to seeing Daniel Ricciardo's first race?
5) Do you think Daniel Ricciardo will get a seat at Torro Rosso next year?
6) Silly season for 2012 has already started, do you think we will see any major driver changes? If yes, who?
7) Is it possible that some teams will take their KERS systems out, because harvesting braking energy isn't effective at Silverstone?
8) Can the tyres change things up at this track, with it being very high speed which might lead to high degradation?

Last edited:
1) What do you think the race podium will look like? Vettel, Webber, Alonso. If it rains we may see a change!
2) Will the engine mapping changes make the racing closer? No
3) Can the rule changes take Red Bull down the top spot and open things up for Ferrari and McLaren? Not at this race
4) Are you looking forward to seeing Daniel Ricciardo's first race? Yes
5) Do you think Daniel Ricciardo will get a seat at Torro Rosso next year? I hope so
6) Silly season for 2012 has already started, do you think we will see any major driver changes? If yes, who? I think there's a lack of quality drivers at the moment. Even Massa should be safe. Hulkenberg may get a seat next year with Force India, Williams or Renault.
7) Is it possible that some teams will take their KERS systems out, because harvesting braking energy isn't effective at Silverstone? Doubt it
8) Can the tyres change things up at this track, with it being very high speed which might lead to high degradation? Whoever qualifies 18th will score points.

Last edited:
Am I completely gone in the head or does the switch to the new pit complex mean that the start line is now between Club and Abbey?

Am I completely gone in the head or does the switch to the new pit complex mean that the start line is now between Club and Abbey?

No, you're right. The new pit and paddock complex is there, so Abbey will be the first corner.

1) What do you think the race podium will look like? Vettel, Hamilton, Button. I agree, rain will see a change!
2) Will the engine mapping changes make the racing closer? Yes
3) Can the rule changes take Red Bull down the top spot and open things up for Ferrari and McLaren? No I think not.
4) Are you looking forward to seeing Daniel Ricciardo's first race? He'll be OK so yes
5) Do you think Daniel Ricciardo will get a seat at Torro Rosso next year? Probably
6) Silly season for 2012 has already started, do you think we will see any major driver changes? If yes, who? Could not say.
7) Is it possible that some teams will take their KERS systems out, because harvesting braking energy isn't effective at Silverstone? No, it could be kay in the race - I do dislike it myself though.
8) Can the tyres change things up at this track, with it being very high speed which might lead to high degradation? Whoever qualifies low down has a chance.

Last edited:
:woot: i leave on holiday sunday, but my plane only leaves at 6 pm, so i'll have time to watch the race!!! :woot:

i was under the impression i would have to record it, and run around in rome for a week without bumping into any spoilers

3) Can the rule changes take Red Bull down the top spot and open things up for Ferrari and McLaren?
6) Silly season for 2012 has already started, do you think we will see any major driver changes? If yes, who?
7) Is it possible that some teams will take their KERS systems out, because harvesting braking energy isn't effective at Silverstone?
8) Can the tyres change things up at this track, with it being very high speed which might lead to high degradation?

1. Vettel, Alonso, Webber
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Depends on his performance
6. Hulkenberg to replace one of the ForceIndia drivers.
7. No
8. No

If it rains, we'll see Hamilton/Vettel fighting for first and Webber in third.

The new regulations WILL NOT make red bull suffer anymore than the other teams. All those hopefuls out there just don't realize that its not one or two gimmicks that make the RB6/7 faster, its the entire packaging. To top it off, its designed by one of the most successful and - more importantly - clever engineers. Lolnewey would have found something to lessen the blow by this friday.

What makes a car fast in this age of F1 isn't 1 or 2 things like it was in the past (active suspension etc), its all the components and designs coming together and WORKING.

To get myself pumped for the race, I just watched Top Gear [10x08],
which has Hammond driving Fernando Alonso's old F1 car around Silverstone.

Last edited:
Hamilton,Webber,Vettel
Yeah I believe it will.
If not they mabye they should resort to urging the drivers to constantly insult vettel to distract him maybe telling him he smells bad and that his race wins won't compensate for his nausea inducing face.
Yes maybe he only plans to make sure vettel gets a dnf.
Mabye.
6) Silly season for 2012 has already started, do you think we will see any major driver
changes? If yes, who?
Vettel to HRT.
No.
Only to a certain extent.

1) Vettel, Button, Webber.
2) Not really, I think weather and tyre factors will end up being far more important towards the outcome of this race, but later on, who knows?
3) No, I don't think it will.....yet. I can see McLaren and Ferrari slowly gaining on RB as the year winds down, however.
4) As an Australian, yes, although we probably won't get to see much of what he can do.
5) Still too early to tell, imho.
6) I'm going to go against what many people are saying and say that despite rumours, no, there won't be any changes at the pointy end of the field. A lot can still happen, of course. If Kubica comes back next year, someone will, of course, have to make way for him....but who that is, I don't know. I could see changes in the smaller teams of course. I also think Trulli, and possibly Barrichello as well, will retire at the end of the year.
7) It would surprise me if they didn't.
8) Absolutely, whoever looks after their tyres well will have a real chance. I won't discount weather conditions tripping teams up with their tyre strategies at some point either, perhaps having a major influence on the eventual outcome.

1) What do you think the race podium will look like? Vettel, Button, Webber
2) Will the engine mapping changes make the racing closer? Still a big gap with the minor teams, but it be one step closer for Ferrari, Mclaren, Renault and Mercedes
3) Can the rule changes take Red Bull down the top spot and open things up for Ferrari and McLaren? Depending on who's the first to stuff up
4) Are you looking forward to seeing Daniel Ricciardo's first race? YES!
5) Do you think Daniel Ricciardo will get a seat at Torro Rosso next year? See above
6) Silly season for 2012 has already started, do you think we will see any major driver changes? If yes, who? Hmm, Barrichello should get another drive with a different team, same with Perez and Kobayashi. They need to work for better teams.
7) Is it possible that some teams will take their KERS systems out, because harvesting braking energy isn't effective at Silverstone? Anything's possible.
8) Can the tyres change things up at this track, with it being very high speed which might lead to high degradation? Watch out for lots of pit stops.

No, you're right. The new pit and paddock complex is there, so Abbey will be the first corner.
Then surely that is the biggest news? End of an era at Silverstone!! The start line has been in the same place for the last 60 years! It will change the whole race dynamic!

To get myself pumped for the race, I just watched Top Gear [10x08],
which has Hammond driving Fernando Alonso's old F1 car around Silverstone.

Different Silverstone, but fair enough

Webber, Vettel, Button. I can dream of a Webber victory, and I have a feeling Hamilton might get too ambitious again
No, but it will change things as different teams will be affected to varying extents
I think the gap will close a bit, but talking margins of a couple of tenths, depends what Newey has come up with in the last three weeks
Very much so
See Question 4, the question is who will he replace? Or will both be gone?
No one at the big teams, all are locked in to contracts bar Webber, and I think he will sign for one more year
Not a hope in hell, they'll need all the horsepower they can get, they'll still harvest enough energy to fill 6.5 seconds worth
The tyres will spice things up, but they always do now

On another topic, the significant reduction in rear downforce brought about by the banning on off-throttle diffusers means that should it rain, we could see a repeat of 2008 when cars were spinning off left, right and centre

Last edited:
Am I the only one who remembers that McLaren didn't run KERS at Silverstone in 2009 because there wasn't enough hard braking zones to harvest energy efficiently enough? :dunno:

Well, it will have 2 levels with the center position being taller that the ones beside it. that center will be where the first place driver stands. It will be white and there will be a wall behind it with some flags. the wall will be covered in sponcers.
Yes
I dont think it will be all that dramatic but it will bring things closer
Who?
Again, Who?
6) Silly season for 2012 has already started, do you think we will see any major driver changes? maybe If yes, who? Sutil Gone
No, they will find a way to make it work
It will be raining so it wont matter.

Who?

Daniel Ricciardo? Formula 3 champion in 2009? The runner up in World Series by Renault last year? Won at Monaco in the series last year and again this year? Fastest driver by some margin in the junior driver test at the end of last year? Toro Rosso reserve driver who has been driving in Friday free practice for every race up to this point? An Aussie - you couldn't have missed him.

Where've you been for the past 3 years? :p

Am I the only one who remembers that McLaren didn't run KERS at Silverstone in 2009 because there wasn't enough hard braking zones to harvest energy efficiently enough? :dunno:

I didn't remember that, but you make a good point.

Remember that silverstone is a very different beastie now though. Two more big stops at Arena and Brooklands.

1. Webber, Alonso, Schumi(!)
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Always interesting with new names
6. Not really
7. No
8. No