Codemasters' F1 2011

The Pit strat really screws me over in this game, I wonder if its better when you play online...

everything is better online in this game

lots of new videos, the embargo for the preview event held a couple of days ago has lifted, and a new trailer out today. No final word on if the safety car is in the game or not. From the preview event videos the driving looks A LOT better, apparently the car feels more on the edge and you can properly attack the curbs.

videos from the preview event:

[video=youtube;jGB3E3-JLfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGB3E3-JLfo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

No safety car is the official word.

Official word at the moment from the press event and the teams on the forum is that they are working to get it in. The SC boards and even Xbox Achievements are in in case they can get it in the final game. Still awhile yet and they are working to get it to function properly (it was in rFactor so I don't see what's so hard about it). I'm still holding out hope that they'll get it working and can put it in the final game.

F1 Fanatic said:
Those hoping for the introduction of the safety car are to be disappointed. It?s clear from talking to the developers they feel players would only enjoy following the safety car briefly before getting tired of it and choosing to skip the interruption.

Mather told me: ?The safety car is one of those things we?ve been asked about a lot.?

?If we can get a safety car in the game which we feel enhances the experience, we?ll have the safety car in the game. If we can?t, if it takes away from the enjoyment of the game, then we won?t have a safety car.?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/08/f1-2011-play-codemasters-f1-sequel/

I guess they don't specifically deny the inclusion of a safety car but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

When you pause the Go Compete vid at 1:00 you can see that yellow flag light and below it reads SC for safety car :)

When you pause the Go Compete vid at 1:00 you can see that yellow flag light and below it reads SC for safety car :)

The lights and SC board were in F1 2010, but they didn't work. The SC part of the board is there in case they are able to get it working before release. Should have an idea if it is in at GamesCom in August

I hope they put a lot more effort into the engineer's voice acting. I hated hearing the same shit over and over in every race, specially the guy reminding me I can put the front wing in the down position for more speed in the straights.

edit:
After watching more of the videos the AI seems a lot more composed than in 2010, but not perfect yet...
Super sensitive "caused a collision" is still there.
But over all it's shaping up to be a good sequel, we'll see.

Last edited:
You still can't drive on your own in the pitlane which is rubbish. Also, is it just me or are the graphics not that good?

You still can't drive on your own in the pitlane which is rubbish. Also, is it just me or are the graphics not that good?

No, your way off. Your looking at a video of a screen from an angle. I have 2010 and it looks great (even for a beta)

No it looks poor because it's a console release. It has to be able to run on 6 year old hardware.

I'll get it as long as they fix the biggest issues with 2010;
-Catchup AI. Codemasters swear blind it doesn't exist in 2010, I guess that means they've never played it. There's catchup in the shortest race length, then much less as you ramp up the length.
-No retirements ever. I hear this is fixed for 2011, but it should have been fixed in a patch. The biggest thrills when driving for a smaller team should be picking up a good place or points by keeping your head when others are retiring and taking advantage of others' misfortune.
-Doolally AI. I've seen drivers 0.5 seconds ahead pulling into the pit-lane on the last lap and losing their place to me instead of just going around the last corner to take the flag ahead of me and doing their in lap on shot tyres.

Last edited:
No it looks poor because it's a console release. It has to be able to run on 6 year old hardware.

I'll get it as long as they fix the biggest issues with 2010;
-Catchup AI. Codemasters swear blind it doesn't exist in 2010, I guess that means they've never played it. There's catchup in the shortest race length, then much less as you ramp up the length.
-No retirements ever. I hear this is fixed for 2011, but it should have been fixed in a patch. The biggest thrills when driving for a smaller team should be picking up a good place or points by keeping your head when others are retiring and taking advantage of others' misfortune.
-Doolally AI. I've seen drivers 0.5 seconds ahead pulling into the pit-lane on the last lap and losing their place to me instead of just going around the last corner to take the flag ahead of me and doing their in lap on shot tyres.

Im playing on a 55" LED TV and it look great. The console is updated and is STILL considered one of, if not the, top blu-ray players on the market today. Besides, as i said 1 million times before, 2010 was not meant to be awesome, it was meant to put something on the market so they could really settle in and see what needed what. All people ever seem to do is look for shit to bitch about, its your loss if you dont buy it. Your gonna miss out on some great racing.

Im playing on a 55" LED TV and it look great. The console is updated and is STILL considered one of, if not the, top blu-ray players on the market today.

None of that has anything to do with the graphics. It's still having to be coded to run on 7 year old GPUs.

Besides, as i said 1 million times before, 2010 was not meant to be awesome, it was meant to put something on the market so they could really settle in and see what needed what. All people ever seem to do is look for shit to bitch about, its your loss if you dont buy it. Your gonna miss out on some great racing.

I did buy 2010 so I didn't miss out on any "great racing", and I said I'll buy 2011 if those three major issues are fixed. You said 2010 was getting something on the market - which implies now it will improve, and those three issues seem like a very basic place to start with those improvements.
Unless 2010 was just to get something on the market and now 2011 is just to get something else on the market.

None of that has anything to do with the graphics. It's still having to be coded to run on 7 year old GPUs.

what i am saying, and im in pro audio/video, is it look great. I dont care what system its on. i cant tell you how many of my collegues that do installs, recomend the PS3 for BR. So, i disagree that the graphics are down.

I did buy 2010 so I didn't miss out on any "great racing", and I said I'll buy 2011 if those three major issues are fixed. You said 2010 was getting something on the market - which implies now it will improve, and those three issues seem like a very basic place to start with those improvements.
Unless 2010 was just to get something on the market and now 2011 is just to get something else on the market.

Have you raced online? Its alot of fun, look how many times i said that in here. Trust me, i know that the AI sucks but if you add the human element to this game it becomes a whole new animal

Also, i agree with the issues.

what i am saying, and im in pro audio/video, is it look great. I dont care what system its on. i cant tell you how many of my collegues that do installs, recomend the PS3 for BR. So, i disagree that the graphics are down.

If you really want to get into some kind of job based pissing contest (I'd rather not), I'm in the games' industry, which is at least as relevant as audio/video.
Again, nothing you said there is relevant to the game graphics; how good the bluray player is in the PS3 has nothing to do with the engine rendering the graphics or the GPU that's doing the poly pushing. The Bluray is only responsible for the capacity of the data stored and the bandwidth of streaming that data from the disk to the RAM. All of the calculations and processing involved in turning that data into an image 30 times a second is after the BR drive in the chain.
For reference, the proprietary OpenGL derivative that the PS3 uses for rendering is of course out of date (as I said, 6-7 years old) and the system has something like 256mb of system RAM and VRAM each. How would you expect it to render as good an image as an engine using an up to date version of D3D or OGL on a system with 6gb of RAM and 4GB of VRAM with 4 GPUs?
You can say it looks good to you, but that's subjective, and you're comparing it only to other games on the same platform (which use the same hardware).
When I said it didn't look good, I was talking in absolute terms compared to what's ultimately possible. As in, it could/would look a lot better were it using modern versions of the API and modern hardware (it would have to be PC only for that, which would not be financially responsible for the publisher, so I'm not suggesting they should do that, just that I won't kid myself about the graphics).

Have you raced online? Its alot of fun, look how many times i said that in here. Trust me, i know that the AI sucks but if you add the human element to this game it becomes a whole new animal

Also, i agree with the issues.

I didn't mean that I haven't had fun playing the game, I did. I completed 4 or so seasons of the career and enjoyed it. I'm just saying that there's no point in me buying 2011 unless it fixes the issues we both agree on - otherwise I could just continue enjoying 2010.

Last edited:
If you really want to get into some kind of job based pissing contest (I'd rather not), I'm in the games' industry, which is at least as relevant as audio/video.
Again, nothing you said there is relevant to the game graphics; how good the bluray player is in the PS3 has nothing to do with the engine rendering the graphics or the GPU that's doing the poly pushing. The Bluray is only responsible for the capacity of the data stored and the bandwidth of streaming that data from the disk to the RAM. All of the calculations and processing involved in turning that data into an image 30 times a second is after the BR drive in the chain.
For reference, the proprietary OpenGL derivative that the PS3 uses for rendering is of course out of date (as I said, 6-7 years old) and the system has something like 256mb of system RAM and VRAM each. How would you expect it to render as good an image as an engine using an up to date version of D3D or OGL on a system with 6gb of RAM and 4GB of VRAM with 4 GPUs?
You can say it looks good to you, but that's subjective, and you're comparing it only to other games on the same platform (which use the same hardware).
When I said it didn't look good, I was talking in absolute terms compared to what's ultimately possible. As in, it could/would look a lot better were it using modern versions of the API and modern hardware (it would have to be PC only for that, which would not be financially responsible for the publisher, so I'm not suggesting they should do that, just that I won't kid myself about the graphics).

The reason why i pointed out A/V was because what i look for in picture is realism. I want to see each little hair move. I want to know that the guy missed a spot shaving and i want to be able to count the hairs he missed. So, what im saying is, i like the level of the detail. We, in america, as consumers, have a tendancy to want more no matter how good the product was. I dont speak computer at all but ill say that if you had said something about you job and THEN said it could be better, well, i wouldnt be having this conversation. So, yes, the potential is there but they didnt use it. I look at it the same way i compare EA Sports NHL series to SCEA's MLB The Show, I want to walk into a boardroom at EA, slam a copy of MLB onto the table and as "why the fuck doesnt your NHL game come close to this?" So, in defence of codemasters, ill say yes they could have done better but i think they were still working out how. IMO

I didn't mean that I haven't had fun playing the game, I did. I completed 4 or so seasons of the career and enjoyed it. I'm just saying that there's no point in me buying 2011 unless it fixes the issues we both agree on - otherwise I could just continue enjoying 2010.

All, im hearing everywhere is how epic this game will be compared to 2010. They say that they fixed all the issues...we shall see.

P.S. : I wasnt trying to slam my job in your face :)

Ok, I'm sorry I sparked such a debate over the graphics of this game. I mentioned that because from the trailers it looked inferior fo 2010's graphics. We'll see how they turn out to be in September. The main issue isn't the visual look of it, but the problems people found with 2010 like the pit stops, AI, catchp-up, etc. If they don't fix all of those, then the game would be dissapointing to me.