The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Last edited:
Double-posting:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/middle-east/5268312/NZ-crew-tows-US-helicopter-to-safety

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2011/07/11/5268391.jpg

New Zealand soldiers in Afghanistan have been praised for their quick thinking and ingenuity after towing a disabled US helicopter to safety with a light armoured vehicle.
The US army Apache helicopter had to land in an exposed position in Bamyan last month after its engines were damaged by debris.
The NZ Provincial Reconstruction Team manufactured a tow bar and towed the helicopter into the safety of the Kiwi base.
US maintenance crew chief sergeant Judy Beltowski, from the army's 10th Mountain Division, praised the Kiwis' efforts, saying she had never seen that level of craftsmanship from a maintenance team before.
"Whatever we needed the NZPRT provided, and if they didn't have it, they made it," she said.
Sergeant George Alexander from the NZPRT guided the vehicle as it slowly pulled the eight tonne helicopter around a corner, across the ditch and up the hill into the New Zealand base.
The New Zealand crew led a team comprising of US Army air and maintenance crews, NZPRT and US personnel.
It took two days to fully repair the helicopter before it could return to its home base.

x37ZT.jpg

My dad piloted one of these. I really have to scan the picture of his squadron in flight next time I visit home.

http://i.imgur.com/x37ZT.jpg

I am a big fan of the Pilatus PC12 (and every thing else Pilatus makes actually), but that TBM850 looks stunning!

My buddy just finished PC-12 training in Orlando. And I'm lucky enough to be flying out of the same airport where Piper makes the Meridian (and all their other aircraft). Gotta love single-engine turboprops!

xbFS0.jpg

Al7jk.jpg

Unsure if we had a post about the EC-121 Warning Star before. But it's definitely worth a repost anyway.

Lockheed_WV-1_Barbers_Point_1952.jpg

Lockheed_EC-121s_at_Korat_RTAFB.jpg

Lockheed_EC-121D_at_Korat_Sep_1970.jpg

Warning_Star_Skyhawk_Phantom_VAQ-33_1973.jpg

WC-121N_1967.jpg

Lockheed_EC-121D_Constellation_USAF.jpg

Edit: Bonus!

Uc8mu.jpg

Moar bonus:

Gilbery-Osprey.jpg

Last edited:
Now that you mention it. I think the whole picture is photoshopped. The plane is on the ground when it was taken. Look at the "prop blur", nose-down attitude, and the sun position on the soldier is from the right, while the sun position on the town below is from the left...

Now that you mention it. I think the whole picture is photoshopped. The plane is on the ground when it was taken. Look at the "prop blur", nose-down attitude, and the sun position on the soldier is from the right, while the sun position on the town below is from the left...

Damn you photoshop :shakefist:

My big hint that it was fake is that the ramp wouldn't be down in that position in flight. Yay insider information!

The props are the biggest giveaway.

I live across the Chesapeake Bay from NAS Pax River and not that far away (as the crow flies) from NAS Oceana and today a pair of Super Hornets were flying looking great a couple hundred feet up.

vWzJP.jpg