Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yeah, the market is seriously messed up. Those people trying to sell old XJSs for $50,000 though, they're just the typical "I own a classic car and therefore it is worth a fortune" set. I seriously doubt anyone in their right mind would pay that much for one. There's one XJS convertible for $15000, which is the cheapest one and it doesn't look half bad. It's certainly not $35000 worse than the $50k one.

And those douche bags always throw in: "It is a rare combination of color and options". Yeah, you picked a somewhat different color than most people so I have to pay you more for it? Me thinks not.

And some weird news from Aussie land:

Austrian driver's religious headgear strains credulity

An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear".

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.

Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism.

The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor's certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

The idea came into Mr Alm's noodle three years ago as a way of making a serious, if ironic, point.

A self-confessed atheist, Mr Alm says he belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a light-hearted faith whose members call themselves pastafarians.

The group's website states that "the only dogma allowed in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the rejection of dogma".

In response to pressure for American schools to teach the Christian theory known as intelligent design, as an alternative to natural selection, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote to the Kansas School Board asking for the pastafarian version of intelligent design to be taught to schoolchildren, as an alternative to the Christian theory.

Straining credulity

In the same spirit, Mr Alm's pastafarian-style application for a driving licence was a response to the Austrian recognition of confessional headgear in official photographs.

The licence took three years to come through and, according to Mr Alm, he was asked to submit to a medical interview to check on his mental fitness to drive but - straining credulity - his efforts have finally paid off.

It is the police who issue driving licences in Austria, and they have duly issued a laminated card showing Mr Alm in his unorthodox item of religious headgear.

The next step, Mr Alm told the Austrian news agency APA, is to apply to the Austrian authorities for pastafarianism to become an officially recognised faith.

Does that mean all Pastafarians wear that? You wacky Aussie Pastafarians. :p

That appears to be Austrian, not Australian. :p

Yep. If it were Australian the argument would have been settled in a drunken bar fight.

If it's anything like the TV show debates over banning the burqa, a drunken bar fight is not far off. That shit gets intense.

That appears to be Austrian, not Australian. :p

Ummm,........ yeah,....ahhh,.... *clears throat*,..... Uh,.. Mistakes were made and I is sorry.

:blush::blush::blush:

LOL, NooDle's parrot is back! :smile:

Especially for you!

Has anyone ever noticed how those LED DRLs on Audi's turn off when the turn signal is on. Why? Looks really dumb when it does that.

IIRC they don't go out completely, they just dim a bit so you can clearly see the indicator.
I agree it looks dumb but I suspect it's because of safety/visibility. Should have designed it different IMO...

I've never heard of an uncrashed X300 or earlier needing to have the spring seats replaced, except in cases where they've rusted badly. Even then, they're usually a few decades old by the time that happens.

Quite annoyingly, my dad's VW Polo has never had any problems like this. Due to a well designed strut mounts. I've examined them and there is no possibility of the struts hitting the hood in case of a failure.

If not an 850, I will upgrade to the S60...I just have to have it!
184978_10150093842764150_675584149_6356423_6987712_n.jpg

Quite annoyingly, my dad's VW Polo has never had any problems like this. Due to a well designed strut mounts. I've examined them and there is no possibility of the struts hitting the hood in case of a failure.

If not an 850, I will upgrade to the S60...I just have to have it!

Keep that attitude, you'll need it when stuff keeps breaking.

TrueDelta score (red is bad):

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2011/07/14/volvo.png

You better find a low millage one, it looks like they start falling apart over 70k.

Last edited:
Heh that sure puts things into perspective. But who's to say that those are all serious problems? Remember, I'm used to dealing with Volvo's pig-headed engineering. Also, I bet most of these reports are based on the automatic cars. The manual equipped S60's have very few problems.

And I'll just leave this here:
T5-R for $12,000

The list of mods is surely impressive and the car will be very fun to drive, but still...$12,000 is pushing it. I'd rather get a stock one and just do the manual swap and limited slip Quaife diff.

Last edited:
The manuals are just as bad as the autos.

A good deal of the issues are suspension related.

Last edited:
We can keep arguing, but we both know you won't convince me that the S60 is a bad car until I try it myself.

And in any case, I can't think of a better sports sedan for that price and at those years (except the XJR).

We can keep arguing, but we both know you won't convince me that the S60 is a bad car until I try it myself.

If you want to ignore the evidence go ahead. I'm just trying to save you from bankrupting yourself. I'd add $4k for repair costs.

Hmm, Finland is full of S60s with lots of miles so I'm not sure how bad they apparently are. At least I've never heard anybody cursing Volvo-reliability, most of the owners seem to be totally satisfied. But I'd never say the S60 is a sports sedan. Comfortable companion for long journeys definately, but I just can't imagine S60 to be driven in a fashion which brings out the best things in E46. And it's not a bad thing at all, it's clearly made to do different things and does those really well and that's all that matters.

Oh I know about the G35...but the way it looks...blah :(

I am considering the Acura TSX with manual, but I do want my car to be boosted. So the Volvo has the advantage there.

Oh I know about the G35...but the way it looks...blah :(

I am considering the Acura TSX with manual, but I do want my car to be boosted. So the Volvo has the advantage there.

You don't want a boosted car yet want a Volvo 850/S60 R?

Anyway,

SAAB 9-2X.
800px-Saab9-2x-ai.jpg

Lincoln LS (built off a Jaguar platform)
800px-2004_Lincoln_LS_--_NHTSA.jpg

Cadillac CTS
800px-1st_Cadillac_CTS.jpg

Chrysler 300c (this one is more of a muscle car but I'd suggest giving it a shot)
800px-Chrysler_300C_.jpg

Last edited:
You misunderstood. I do want a boosted car.

I was looking at a Saab 9-5 and it seems like a decent car, but again I'm not so sure about the looks.

Also - pwned

The G35 seems to be notorious for excessive oil consumption.

You misunderstood. I do want a boosted car.

I was looking at a Saab 9-5 and it seems like a decent car, but again I'm not so sure about the looks.

Avoid all SAABs but the 9-2X. The 9-2X is a luxury Impreza built by Subaru. Also check my post above I updated it with several more luxury cars in your price range.

Also - pwned

Until the Volvo's suspension disintegrates, at which point the repair shop will be doing the pwning.

Last edited:
I was going to say that it reminds me of Impreza :)

In any case - realistically the S60 T5M will cost me about $8,000 which is not bad, even if I have to put an extra $4,000 for repairs. I can live with that.

I was going to say that it reminds me of Impreza :)

In any case - realistically the S60 T5M will cost me about $8,000 which is not bad, even if I have to put an extra $4,000 for repairs. I can live with that.

I believe you are the only person who has said that concerning a Volvo. :p How important is up time as this thing will be in the shop?

By the way a CTS or LS will run rings around a S60 T5.

Last edited: