Game of Thrones

GOD DAMN IT!!! >_<

That's what I get for not reading local news... That epic beard guy next to him is my old classmate from English uni, heh.

Oh, well... :(

Finished my marathon through the season in a couple of days. Well, well, surprisingly not bad. And I don't normally like fantasy all that much, I could barely sit through the lotr. The drama and the storytelling is great though, so I can overlook the supernatural aspects of the show.

Since this thread is all praise, I feel like I need to add some criticism.. The characters are awfully one-dimensional. Good and evil, heroes and traitors. They reeeeeeally make you hate the bad guys. And sure, on some level it makes it exciting to cheer for the good underdogs struggling to overcome the evil power, but just a tiny bit boring. No one is that categorically good or evil in the real world, and a show that so graphically tries to be realistic (yes, for a fantasy) is missing something in this area, with only a few exceptions (Tyrion ftw!).

Yeah.. but I'll probably keep watching it when it comes back :)

There's a lot from the books that they weren't able to get into the show. I suppose the very complex character development was the one to go. But I disagree with the one-dimensionalism. Even the bad guys aren't really bad. They have motives which are valid to them and others if put into their position.

Except Joffrey, that kid's a fucking cunt.

Given how much time they had, the show was really quite good at developing the characters. When I read the books, the biggest thing I took away regarding GURM's characters was that there wasn't anyone who was purely good or purely evil (unlike most fantasy novels); everyone, even the "good" guys, had a dark side to them. Conversely, even the most evil characters (Joffrey being one of them) had a good or tragic side to them; in Joffrey's case, while he certainly isn't likeable, there is definitely a tragic aspect to his character. Here's a person who has been so misguided, both by his parents (real and imagined) and those surrounding him, that he has absolutely no clue that his actions are nothing but harmful to everyone else.

As for why we don't really see this in the show, it's becauser the books are written from the points of view of the main characters themselves. It isn't quite as easy to get in the heads of the TV characters as it was in the books.

I have to agree with you, but I think it's important to set the scene. The good thing is that the second book, which I'm about halfway through, seems to address that concern a bit. There are quite a few characters you find yourself rooting for, but at the same time they do things or say things that make you hope they get killed. Tyrion's role in that gets even bigger, as he works his ass off to ensure that his family comes out on top.

So i started watching this the other day. finished ep. 6 last night.

brilliant show. great characters. Tyrian is the fucking man and Boromir is still a bad mother fucker.

those Lannisters are a bunch of cunts though

This series got me hooked on the books, currently in second book. This is really, really good. Well thought through and a lot of twists coming :)

they killed my nigga Ned

spoiler'd

Last edited:
^^ That should be spoilered.

Anyway, I'm with Ice on the character development.

Even Joffrey has some logical motivations for, well, at least arresting Ned. Joffrey is unaware that he's not actually the legitimate heir to the throne so genuinely believes that Ned is committing treason by accusing him of being a false king.

As far as arresting him goes, firstly, he ignored the letter from his father (which, admittedly, should have been made public before the king's death), and secondly, he behaved like a spoiled little brat that he is (KILL THEM ALL! I DEMAND IT!). His mummy was behind all that anyway.

I'm about 75% finished with the third book and I'm getting very weary with it. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but it's getting a bit exhausting when the books set things up so perfectly for a sweet victory... but never actually comes through with it. It's not bad once in a while, but all the time? Ehhhhhh....

If I had to make up a bedtime story in the style of these books, it would go something like, Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess who was set to marry the most handsome prince in all the seven kingdoms. But the evil mountain men from the forbidden forest hated the fair prince, so late one night they slipped into the castle and kidnapped the beautiful princess and carried her back to their evil hideout. For 30 days and 30 nights the mountain men violently raped the princess, but on the 30th night her life mercifully left her. The mountain men took her head off and returned it to the prince's castle on a pike. The rest of her body was fed to the hogs. Theeeee Eeeeeend.

I'm still holding out for an actual payoff to all this abuse. It's like the literary equivalent of getting worked over with a baseball bat.