Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The elephant in the room is that he'll be in Colorado, where all the naturally aspirated options above will run out of breath. A Mitsubishi Galant VR4 might tick all the boxes, but those are exceedingly rare.

Mazda 6

800px-Mazda_6_front_20090212.jpg

S-Type
800px-Jaguar_S-Type_front_20090128.jpg

I believe the S-Type has a sealed for life transmission, but the price to fix it will still be under 14k. And as a plus it won't fall apart like an S60.

The elephant in the room is that he'll be in Colorado, where all the naturally aspirated options above will run out of breath. A Mitsubishi Galant VR4 might tick all the boxes, but those are exceedingly rare.

The SAAB mentioned is available with a turbo.

Last edited:
SVT did such a good job that Ford later brought it to the European market where it is was much loved.

Much loving. <3 It also was called the ST200 over here, which is much more awesome than SVT. :p

The ST220 was a bit soft for my taste, but can't really imagine a better car for "cruising". Too bad they've all rusted away already.

Last edited:
Last edited:
IIRC they don't go out completely, they just dim a bit so you can clearly see the indicator.
I agree it looks dumb but I suspect it's because of safety/visibility. Should have designed it different IMO..
They turn completely off, not dim. (unless you can change it in the settings somewhere, I've never seen em dim). I was surprised as well as I expected them to blink with the indicators....

In other radomness...
So I am convinced that Audi is designed by Apple.
My car came with the standard old style wipe blades like so:
wiper-blade.jpg

As it was time to get new wipers I figured I would get the new style "Aero" blades like so:
Aero%20Wiper%20Blade%20Set.jpg

For most cars you just pop by your local Autozone or Walmart or w/e and get the blades and just install them into your standard wiper connector. The Audi on the other hand uses a completely proprietary connector for their wipers and in order to go to the "aero" style blades you have to buy all new arms.....

Granted I still did it because the new ones are legitimately better at what they do and my old arms had a paint chip and the air deflector on the driver side had a broken clip causing it to flop around sometimes but still wtf?

Last edited:
Correct, but surprisingly narf completely missed another aspect - time. How much is your time worth?

Correct thinking. The cost of driving there is much higher than just paying for the gas. There's depreciation, wear, risk of damage/injury, and not to forget time - all these would be higher if you made a detour for a cheaper station.

and not to forget time

Apparently your time is worth so much you can't spare a minute to read and understand the posts you reply to.

Only in Germany... :p

That's how we roll. If you can't collect data on it and analyze that it's not worth looking at.

Wait, so what do the different colors in the first chart represent? Different gas stations?

Yes.

Yellow is South of here, at the start of the A215. Any time I go South, East or West I pass by there.
Blue is North of here at the start of the B503. Any time I go North I pass by there. Also, it's on my daily commute.

Both are ideal for my location, that's why I initially only collected data for those two.
The colors are chosen because those are their colors. http://cittitank.de is yellow, http://www.famila-tank-wik.de is blue.

Last edited:
Apparently your time is worth so much you can't spare a minute to read and understand the posts you reply to.

Well, at least your posts. :mrgreen: In any case, you didn't explore it - and in fact time would actually be more expensive than the expended fuel.

Bavarians drink beer at any time of the day, yet BMWs and Audis turn out ok.

Bavarians drink beer, Americans drink Bud Light. German beer is pretty good, Bud Light should be banned by USDA. German cars are pretty good, American cars are pretty shitty. Does anyone else a correlation?

Bavarians drink beer at any time of the day, yet BMWs and Audis turn out ok.

Well BMWs turn out OK. :p Truedelta says otherwise for the latter.

I don't want to multi-quote all the posts regarding my car dilemma, but I'll try to address the issues.

I think I prefer more power instead of great handling, that's just a personal preference.

I'm also looking for something fairly sensible. I love the rare Gallant VR4, but I don't see myself driving one. If I was to buy an older and cooler car, I'd go for a 300ZX, but that's not sensible at all. It will probably be in the shop all the time.

The reason I can't make myself to like the Infinity is because it lacks zing, as Clarkson would put it. I know it's difficult to understand me, but the Volvo S60 gives me an inner zing like no other car. It's weird, I know. I just like it.

And let's be fair - it is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It is very far from the worst car on the market both in terms of power, handling and reliability. It's...mediocre I think. And I'm fine with that.

But who knows. Still 3 more weeks to decide what I will buy.