iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

I just did an Endurance race at Spa with the SRF, MX5, and Solstice. Hour and a half race. It was a blast, I have to say. I really like Spa, and the endurance factor was just great. I started 10th in the SRF, dropped down 2 or 3 places fairly quickly,and I bumped a wall trying to avoid someone in the middle of the track who swerved right in my line. I drove with some damage for 6 laps or so because I knew I had to pit for fuel at some point in the race. Tires were going to be good enough to last the entire time. About lap 10, I was 3 seconds off my normal pace, so I pitted. I got a couple gallons of gas to be safe (probably could have made it with one gallon extra), and I got the damage repaired. I came out in 15th overall. By the end, I had worked by way back up to 4th in class and 4th overall. I was very happy. My fasted lap was 4 seconds off the fasted lap of the top 3 guys. Weirdly, the entire race, I never raced another SRF for position except for the on the first lap. The rest of the time was passing lapped cars and the occasional MX5. At the end I had 73 incidents! LOL I only spun twice, and bumped that wall once. So thats really 5 (2x lost control , 1x off track, and 2x lost control). I guess the small wall contact didn't count. It just damaged a little body work and didn't affect the handling too much. The other ones were just dropping tires over the edge of the track during cornering.

Thats one thing I think I like about hosted. I can drop a wheel off by going a little wide or so and its okay. Most of mine were just running a little wide into the run off zones. I don't think thats cheating, per se.

The endurance bit was nice too. I'll definately to more of these. The same group is having a MX5-Jetta-Mustang race next month I think. I'm looking forward to that with the new tire model (hopefully the Mustang gets it)
I really liked that kind of rac

Nice job dude. Spa is a bitch with 1x but at least it was hosted!

The top split in the Radical world tour race was a complete mess. Huge wreck on the start/finish line as the green flew, and tons of cars wrecked. I would have got through it fine but one car got punted, flew forward through the air, and landed on my engine cover. That pushed me around and I clouted the left rear on someone's gearbox. Completely smashed it.

Last edited:
There was a world tour? Sigh. I didn't see it advertised at all. Although to be honest, it seems like a silly race. 40 mins is hardly world tour worthy in my mind. Could have been fun I guess. Apparently it was at 7am local time... So no I don't think I would have got up for it either. No big deal.

Sucks that your race was ruined dude.

I really think they should run world tours twice. Just because if something like that happens to you, then you can always try again once more. Petit Le Mans last year had 2 races. And it was epic (I won my split)

Wish they had more World tours to be honest.

There was a world tour? Sigh. I didn't see it advertised at all. Although to be honest, it seems like a silly race. 40 mins is hardly world tour worthy in my mind. Could have been fun I guess. Apparently it was at 7am local time... So no I don't think I would have got up for it either. No big deal.

We only had 90 guys sign up for the race. I wasn't expecting it to be popular but I was hoping for a couple hundred. I think lack of publicity combined with a stigma about the Radical (people still view it as a monster) made people not want to race.

New season, new war paint.

http://img199.imageshack.**/img199/6807/carcr.png

http://img718.imageshack.**/img718/8884/car2d.png

http://img4.imageshack.**/img4/3831/car3b.png

http://img823.imageshack.**/img823/2883/car4e.png

I was thinking about going to new warpaint. Currently, my SRF looks like:
iRacingSim%2525202011-06-28%25252021-29-24-95.jpg

iRacing-SRF-2011Season2.jpg

to:
iRacing-SRF-2011Season3-proposed.jpg

iRacing-MX5r-2011Season3-proposed.jpg

I'm still mulling over what I might want to run next season. I do love the SRFs, but I just feel like I need to move up. I might to D-class Mustangs or something like that. Something with the new tire model though. I'm sure MadCat will understand where I got the color scheme from.

Last edited:
Hehehe, going for the "team" colors eh? Good idea.

I do hope the SRF gets the new model. It desperately needs it, it's so unforgiving, even for an iRacing car. That's saying a lot. I think if the real thing was that spin happy half the field wouldn't finish the race! But I've never driven one so I can't really say for sure.

I think I'm going to stick with my traditional yellow and black liveries.

Not sure what I'll run either to be honest. For sure I will be driving either the LMP2 or GT.. Will wait and see how they feel before I commit to either. But knowing me probably the quicker one lol. I really want to try and do a season of the Lotus, but again, I'm not entirely sure how it's going to feel with the NTM. It does silly speeds around some tracks. Turn1 at Road Atlanta for example.. Just completely flat with light fuel and a slight lift with fuel. I think it'll be a case of really managing that car which will be difficult.

And then my other choice is the V8. I've always been slow (ish) because of how people drive it (I don't like cars just sliding around like crazy), but I think I'll be able to be competitive with NTM so again, will just wait and see.

I really want it out now damnit!

Hehehe, going for the "team" colors eh? Good idea.

I do hope the SRF gets the new model. It desperately needs it, it's so unforgiving, even for an iRacing car. That's saying a lot. I think if the real thing was that spin happy half the field wouldn't finish the race! But I've never driven one so I can't really say for sure.

Once you learn to always keep some throttle on, even when braking, it becomes fairly manageable. No idea how realistic that is, though.

Once you learn to always keep some throttle on, even when braking, it becomes fairly manageable. No idea how realistic that is, though.

Here's my coach driving one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSa33XjUCIA[/youtube]

He's a big proponent of gas + brake, and encouraged me to do it in the Miata. But if he is doing it there in the Spec Racer, he is only doing it very, very slightly, just enough to free up the drive line but not really make the engine do work against the brakes.

I've found in the real world, gas + brake is more about fine-tuning speed, rather than controlling attitude. I can do that well enough with just the brake, or just the throttle, even in tail happy cars like the Skip Barber.

Last edited:
My cars have a mix of liveries. My Star Mazda and Falcon have a blue, white, and yellow theme. My Mustang looks like a union jack. My Miata is red and gray, my street stock blue and gold, my legends is Martini based, and my Solstice is LMP Peugeot inspired.

I don't know what it is but all the retards are running into me now in the MX5. I've been PITed twice on the back stretches. So much for my hopes of getting some decent points in the final round to keep my top-5 points finish. That, plus the fucking idiotic 1x rules means Spa is dead to me. This has been a rage filled couple of days. I kicked my chair legs and now I need a new caster for it.

And now I've learned that the new ALMS-type series with the ARX, GT, and C6.R is going to be a 45 minute series with two 60-minute races. What the fuck, iRacing? Care to explain why the "endurance" series is the same length as the "sprint" Star Mazda series? In fact, the Radicals on average have longer races than the ALMS series!

Last edited:
I'm not happy with much of it really.

Grand AM is now poohs. 5 Rovals. Ew. And all races are 50 mins. No 30s or 80s. Disappointed.

And also the ARX. 60 mins is endurance now? Please. 15 minute boost from 45s. At least the track selection seems ok.

Gah. I don't know whether I'll even bother with it now. Maybe I should just go for a Williams bash. Even though I'm not that quick in it. Just seat time.

NTM is really going to be what keeps me at iRacing or if I should bail from it.

I do think I want to race something other than the SRF this next season. I love the car, but its the same tracks over and over again. I was hoping the schedule would make it clear what I wanted to run.. alas.

I think I'm going to just run the ARX this season. It's a big car, and it's going to require all of my knowledge and plenty of learning in order to set it up. I've probably never attempted to build a setup for something that complex. It will fall between the F1 and the IndyCar in terms of options. In fact the suspension is closer to the Williams than the IndyCar. Actually I'm thinking about starting a setup sheet portfolio, and run heavy telemetry gathering. So it's going to take time to prepare for a race, and I don't think running another car would be realistic.

I just hope the races are long enough for pit stops. I've posted this on the iRacing boards:

Wait a minute, 45 minutes and 60 minutes is a sprint race to you?

If it does not require a pit stop then it is a sprint race. That is my personal definition.

If the car and driver can both run at peak capacity for the duration, then it is a sprint race. If a pit stop is required in order to change drivers, or change something on the car (fuel, tires, brakes), then it is an endurance race because then conservation plays a real part.

The only thing I want are pit stops. As long as the duration is sufficient in order to require me to either get more tires, or fill up with fuel, i will be happy. If 45 minutes is sufficient to accomplish that, I will shut up and race. But, since iRacing is trying to be realistic, and since the real cars go about an hour without needing a stop, I am reasonably complaining that 45 minutes is too short (indeed, 60 minutes may also be too short).

Steve has an update for us...

Steve Myers said:
A quick update for you on 2.0 progress. As of right now we are targeting to release next week with the new tire model the following cars:

Class A Impala
2011 Class B Impala (obviously already out but will be updated to the current version of the new tire model)
Silverado
HPD-ARX-01c LMP2
Ford GT
Corvette C6.R

We potentially will have another road and/or oval car done but as of this moment we are focusing on the cars I have listed above. We have focused on the three road cars that we have because the HPD and Ford GT have been developed from the ground up on the new tire model and it only made sense to get the Vette done so we had a complete series with the new tire model.

I have seen some threads asking about the race length of the Prototype and GT open series and why they are not hour plus races and the schedule was created this way to make it more accessible to the majority of the service. It will be our most popular road series this season so we have to approach the schedule differently. We can definitely revisit the race lengths in this series next season.

Steve

This list greatly disappoints me. Oval I don't care about, but only those three road cars. I guess that will choose what I'm running next season.