Am I insane for wanting a muscle car as my 2nd car?

Am I insane for wanting a muscle car as my 2nd car?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to RWD experience, you also need to experience high power cars. You have to get used to them otherwise you will lose your license fairly soon (and we all know how long it took you to get that :) )

The most powerful car I've driven was 300hp and AWD. It is just so different from the way my car drives. With my car I know I can play with my right foot and nothing much happens. First comes the noise, then a slight push and then speed increases. In that 300hp car with AWD, the thing just moved seamlessly. I was doing 80mph without even noticing. I hadn't even planted my foot down. I was just following the patterns I've learned in my car.

I always find myself launching rather aggressively when I find myself in a vehicle that has torque :lol:

I wouldn't jump right into a Viper myself but I'm not going to blame you or anyone else for doing so. Actually, if it was me I'd keep the Corsica around for a while so the Viper isn't the only choice should it prove to have a learning curve. It would let you learn the Viper at your own pace.

Actually, if it was me I'd keep the Corsica around for a while so the Viper isn't the only choice should it prove to have a learning curve. It would let you learn the Viper at your own pace.

That's a no-brainer. :)

everyone takes the worst case, viper seems to be responsible enough to drive the car and not hoon it, rather than buying another car, why not spend the money on professional driving courses so he knows what to expect if it lets go unexpectedly, you wont learn how to drive with a Viper's power with anything less hairy, rather let him do it and learn in a safe environment so he can use the power smarter, all he will learn from another car is how to drive that car at regular road speeds, which teaches you nothing about when it goes wrong...

everyone takes the worst case, viper seems to be responsible enough to drive the car and not hoon it, rather than buying another car, why not spend the money on professional driving courses so he knows what to expect if it lets go unexpectedly, you wont learn how to drive with a Viper's power with anything less hairy, rather let him do it and learn in a safe environment so he can use the power smarter, all he will learn from another car is how to drive that car at regular road speeds, which teaches you nothing about when it goes wrong...

Because nobody is that responsible. You see the same thing in motorcycles - someone seems responsible enough but nobody's really able to resist the siren song of power and they end up crashing.

It's really funny, you can almost set your watch by newbies who make that claim ("I'll be responsible, I won't crash, I'll stay off the throttle"), go out and buy something like an R1 (literbike) as their first 'serious' bike... and then promptly crash it. (Just ask CrazyJeeper how that works out, to name the most recent victim I can think of - and all he had was a VF500F!) Same thing with high power RWD cars like the Viper (and especially the Viper.) All you have to do is check out what happens to most of those really young kids that hit it big in the internet millionaire era and then bought something flashy for their first car. Most of their new iron ended up wadded up in a ball and not a few ended up getting killed despite their 'responsibility' and even despite extensive Barber or Bondurant training. They just didn't have the depth of experience needed.

Nobody's saying "don't buy the Viper," they're saying "don't buy the Viper for now." It isn't like the Vipers are going to disappear tomorrow; they'll still be around in a year or two when he's ready for one.

Last edited:
so... you just ignore half of what i say in respect to getting professional help (because even being responsible i acknowledge he needs to learn how to handle the car) and how learning to drive a regular rwd car will not teach you what a viper can do and go straight to responsibility .... yeah, you won that argument :|

im just surprised you havent recommended a jaguar yet

so... you just ignore half of what i say in respect to getting professional help (because even being responsible i acknowledge he needs to learn how to handle the car) and how learning to drive a regular rwd car will not teach you what a viper can do and go straight to responsibility .... yeah, you won that argument :|

im just surprised you havent recommended a jaguar yet

Go reread the finished post, Blayde. I mentioned professional training (Skip Barber and Bob Bondurant are two very well regarded US performance/race driving schools), I also mentioned that it doesn't necessarily help. Lots of the Silicon Valley whiz kids got and continue to buy things like Vipers and 911 Turbos, go to driving schools - and they still wrap the things around telephone poles and street lights.

XKRs aren't the easiest thing in the world to drive, either. Witness what my dad did to mine.

Edit: Also, others have covered the transition of skills from a lesser RWD car issue, but since you can't seem to be arsed to read that part - yes, skills gained from lesser RWD cars *do* transfer to larger and faster ones. Mustangs, for example, do much the same things as Vipers in terms of problem scenarios - however, the edge on a Mustang (for example) is much more fuzzy and much less knife edge. A Mustang can hang the tail out and once it starts to go wrong you have a good chance of pulling it back in and thus learn the skills need to do this.

Just ask the Miata population about how the skills they learn in their (gay, hairdresser, limpwrist - sorry, I have to throw that in there by law ;) ) little sports cars do transition well to larger cars. Yes, including the Vipers. Most of the successful Viper roadracers in the US started out with Miatas, for example.

Last edited:
Last edited by Spectre; Today at 12:03 AM.

yeah, sure... you added all that after you post and im supposed to respond to later edited posts :|

Last edited by Spectre; Today at 12:03 AM.

yeah, sure... you added all that after you post and im supposed to respond to later edited posts :|

Sorry, I'm used to the damn site eating my posts in mid composition so I post early and edit it. The new autosave might help, but I don't trust it yet.

Table for Blayde and Spectre? Right this ways, sirs.

yo i seen myself back in you i will say go for it,
i want it to buy a chevy camaro 6.2 l V8 but then i thought about something els
like a race license and now i'm have my race license almost for a year and tell you something it amazing when you are at the race track and you doing like 100 miles/hour
i had a choose to get a muscle car or my race license i choose my race license
but if really love dodge viper i will say go for it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.