The Hobbit

jedd_kenobi

Forum Addict
Car(s)
A Blue Police Box
TheHobbit.png

Production of the Lord of the Rings prequel movies began on March 21, 2011 and the first few photo's have been released today of the production. Even with over a year still to go until the films general release in Dec 2012, this is a film shaping up to be on a lot of people's radars. The two movies are going to be released seperately with the first film An Unexpected Journey (covering the events of the book 'The Hobbit') wil lbe released in Dec 2012. The second film There and Back Again (mostly acting as a bridge between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy) will be released in Dec 2013.
Ian McKellan is returning as Gandalf as well as Hugo Weaving (Elrond), Christopher Lee (Saruman), Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) along with Orlando Bloom (Legolas) and Elijah Wood (Frodo). This time they will be joined by Martin Freeman (Bilbo), Richard Armitage (Thorin), James Nesbit (Bofur), Benedict Cumberbatch (the voice of Smaug), Stephen Fry, Sylvester McCoy (Radagast), Evangeline lily (Tauriel) and Barry Humphries (the Great Goblin).
Peter Jackson is directing the two films after Guillermo Del Toro dropped out of the project last year.

hobbit1.jpg

there are 2 more photos (1 of Gandalf and another of Jackson in a 'behind the scenes' photo) over at EW.com

UPDATE: I was pointed by eizbaer to some more photos on the Hobbit FB page.

oin-and-gloin.jpg

John Callen as Oin and Peter Hambleton as Gloin (who is the father of Gimli)

20110713-062223.jpg

Jed Brophy as Nori, Adam Brown as Ori and Mark Hadlow as Dori

hobbit-fili-kili.jpg

Dean O?Gorman as Fili and Aidan Tuner as Kili

20110713-062856.jpg

Stephen Hunter as Bombur, James Nesbitt as Bofur and William Kircher as Bifur

balindwalin.jpg

Ken Stott as Balin and Graham McTavish as Dwalin

thorin-richardarmitage.jpg

Richard Armitage as Thorin​

Last edited:
Peter Jackson has done two video diaries from the set.

The "film"'s being shot on RED Epic-M's, so expect a sharper image than LOtR.

i'm not sure i like the styling of the dwarves yet. although i have to agree making them somewhat different and using beards and hair to do so is the right way to go, i somehow can't find myself to be too happy with ori, nori and dori - those three just look strange.
aaaaaanyway, who gives a damn! i'm sure this will be just as great as LOTR was, can't wait!

Half of those dwarves look like they could become Klingons with just the forehead prosthesis. Not a bad thing; looking forward to the trailer whenever it comes out. Hopefully all the sidestory they add in order to include Legolas, Elrond, Frodo, and Galadriel in the movie is included seamlessly.

and another group-shot that just appeared on FB:
hobbit_dwarves.jpg

Last edited:
i guess a double-post can be excused over a gap of more than 3 months? i certainly hope so...
just wanted to drop a link to "An Unexpected Journey: Quint on the set of The Hobbit! Part 1 - Concerning Hobbiton". quite a nice read and it's awesome to see hobbiton back in use and everyone enjoying their work there. there may be a few spoilers in there, but i've read it all and didn't mind much, nothing too revealing really. so have fun with that :)

Really looking forward to these, and if they make The Silmarillion, that'd be a triple win.

Really looking forward to these, and if they make The Silmarillion, that'd be a triple win.

i rather doubt they will. as a book the silmarillion never was as famous and successful as both the hobbit and LOTR. also the structure doesn't really allow for a proper adaption, does it? there's not enough of a storyline going all the way through really :| oh well, i guess one can dream :p

Pretty awesome that the Sherlock duo will be starring in this. Wow martin Freeman as Bilbo, I didn't see that coming. Good for him

446benedict_martin2.jpg

When the full special features comes out on the Bluray it will be like watching a timelapse of Peter Jackson getting fat again.

The Silmarillion will never be filmed. The family members who are in charge of Tolkien's estate were against the LotR films being made but couldn't stop it because Tolkien had sold the film rights when he was alive. The Silmarillion was published posthumously.

I'd love to see a Silmarillion adaption although i admit it probably won't happen. I'm just happy that the Hobbit is being adapted and a second movie in-between which acts as the bridge to LotR.

I am kind of surprised to see that Tolkien's estate are unwilling to let a adaption of Silmarillion be made, especially when they can see how Jackson treats the whole franchise. He treats it with respect and isn't just looking to produce a cash cow for New Line Pictures. To be honest, there are a lot worse directors out there who could have been let loose on the LotR franchise... Michael Bay (super slow mo explosions and elf girls in bikinis in slow motion) or Uwe Boll.
actually scratch that i mentioned Uwe Boll. That just gives me nightmares at the mere thought of it.

So let me get this straight; First they are doing the movie The Hobbit based on the book written by J.R.R Tolkien called The Hobbit or There and Back Again. Then they are going to make another movie called There in Back Again based on a imaginary book written by a character Bilbo Baggins called There in Back Again which is also called the Hobbit or There and Back Again.

I am kind of surprised to see that Tolkien's estate are unwilling to let a adaption of Silmarillion be made, especially when they can see how Jackson treats the whole franchise. He treats it with respect

Yes he does, but they don't care. Christopher Tolkien is very protective of his father's work. He grew up watching it being written and he drew the maps at the back of the book himself. If he could have stopped PJ's LotR films from being made, he would have. J.R.R's great-grandson Royd Tolkien supported the films and was kicked off the board of Tolkien Enterprises for his trouble.

I'd love it if they could make The Silmarillion into a TV mini-series, but I don't see it happening while Christopher is alive.

I'm just happy that the Hobbit is being adapted and a second movie in-between which acts as the bridge to LotR.

So let me get this straight; First they are doing the movie The Hobbit based on the book written by J.R.R Tolkien called The Hobbit or There and Back Again. Then they are going to make another movie called There in Back Again based on a imaginary book written by a character Bilbo Baggins called There in Back Again which is also called the Hobbit or There and Back Again.

No. That was the original plan but it isn't what is happening now. They are making two films- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There And Back Again. The story from the Hobbit is spread across both films, but they are also including things that aren't in the book, but which were taking place in the same time period. It will show what Gandalf got up to when he was missing from the story for a while. It will include the White Council and their attack on Dol Guldur.

Last edited:
Ok....I'm crossing my fingers that there is a 4k/5k capable theater in the Denver area. I kind of doubt it, but it would be so amazing if they released it in full resolution. Sounds like they are taking the 3D thing to the maximum too, which is very cool.

It is really neat that they are doing those blogs and such. I usually try and not pay attention to making of stuff till after I've seen the movie, but they are doing a great job of giving you the right details and not the wrong ones with these blog videos.

Now I'm really not wanting to wait a year and a month for the first volume to come out.

Now I'm really not wanting to wait a year and a month for the first volume to come out.

haha yeah, that annoys me too. they have all that great footage and showing us all their nice work and it's still more than a year in the making! grr, by then i'll have forgotten about the whole thing! nonetheless... i think that year will be over far more quickly than i'd like :|