Americanisms

I don't really get why some people get so uptight about someone else speaking differently. I'm actually at a point where I like it.

Honestly, when I made fun of the Brits just then, it was just to show how anal retentive THEY were. I mean these ways of speaking are what make us unique. We identify certain words and styles with certain regions. "Hella" is very nor-cal. It's starting to come down into so-cal as well, but it's not so big here.

A heavy southern drawl can be unbearable to me at times, but sometimes a cute girl saying it not so heavily can sometimes sound really cute and pleasant.

Apparently the western US is the only place where we say 'Gotta' instead of "got to". Is this true?

Not unless you consider Chicago and St. Louis western (I know some people who do, but that's another topic).

Since we are picking on the British for butchering their own language, how does Leicester end up with an entire syllable that is silent?

:lol: you're right.

Were the original Bostonians British?

The Bostonian accent is almost the same as a British accent, just replace the smooth long "a" (awe) with a grating short "a" (apple). Or something like that. Hard to convey in text. And yes, it's because of the British roots.

Since we are picking on the British for butchering their own language, how does Leicester end up with an entire syllable that is silent?

Towns in Massachusetts: Leicester, Worcester, Glaucester..... locals will tell you the correct way to spell "Worcester" is actually "Woostah."

Last edited:
Okay....what? Half of those "Americanisms" are wrong in America too! Bad grammar isn't an American thing, it's a stupid people thing, and we all know how everyone loves to say America is full of stupid people...I tend to agree. It even spreads like a disease to mildly stupid people, and eventually these incorrect things become "normal". Ugh.

This sort of Americanism annoys me:

I know it's not the norm, but still there's Fox "News" and its tea party trying to make you believe that it is. :(

Nothing makes me happier than getting into a lift with an American, I bet you a bag of Walkers crisps (Preferably Salt and Vinegar) they always press 1 to get out. :lol:

My absolute favorite (it really is) Americanism, or rather New York-ism, is "Get (the hell) outta here" :D

Three pages, yet no infusion of Stephen Fry?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY[/youtube]

I could care less about crispy-proper wordage. Language is for communicating and you must communicate with emotion or there is little point to it. This necessitates improvisation.

This sort of Americanism annoys me:

I know it's not the norm, but still there's Fox "News" and its tea party trying to make you believe that it is. :(

Fox News has no connection with the Tea Party. The guy that started the idea was Rick Santelli... of CNBC.

Also, the general demographic, as proven by multiple studies is this:

Though the various polls sometimes turn up slightly different results, they tend to show that Tea Party supporters are mainly white and slightly more likely to be male, married, older than 45, more conservative than the general population, and likely to be more wealthy and have more education.

So much for the 'stupid hick' idiocy.

Stop blindly accepting media 'profiles' and stereotypes. If you wouldn't accept someone else's racial stereotypes of others, why the hell do you blindly accept what the media spews?

Edit: After all, this is what that same media says most all Germans are like:

6a0128773aba66970c01287794d4e0970c-800wi

0511-0810-1303-3046_Cartoon_of_a_Fat_Guy_Dressed_in_Lederhosen_Carrying_a_Keg_of_Beer_clipart_image.jpg

It's just as true as what you just spewed.

Last edited:
"I could care less..." "Please do - preferably somewhere other than here."

How many people get mad about wicked? Such as "That cah is wicked pissah!"
I love Bostonian!

I wonder if the internet and people talking to other people everywhere will eventually kill off local dialects and merge everything into one language.

N??????. Then you'd understand what I say all the time. NO FUN.

I hate it when British people say "Innit", and don't pronounce the R in a letter. It's "Cart" not "caaaaaaaaaaaaaat". Also, "Me" instead of "my". It doesn't annoy me, but if you can be this anal retentive then so can I. It's "my friends" not "me friends". Edit: Ooh and one thing that REALLLLY annoys me is the way you guys say "At" instead of "Ate" like "Eight".

those things are regional differences, not everyone speaks with received pronunciation.

People that get bent out of shape of how Americans "butcher" the language more than likely have very specific and exacting masturbation and/or bowel movement rituals.

No really, they do. :|