The Ultimate macOS Thread

I believe it's meant for iCloud, they use Akamai for all their downloads.
You win the narf award for the day - taking something that was quite obviously in jest seriously :p

Akamai is a load balancer though, they don't host files they simply redirect traffic (my old company used them). The files are hosted by Apple and are eventually served from their DCs.

Well, I'm now running Lion :D

First impressions of the new scroll, and mission control and so forth is quite positive. You have to get used to it, but my guess is that it is really nice once you get the hang of it :) Installation was easy once the download has finished (it took me about an hour I think), though I was prepared to do a fresh install, never got asked. Is that completely unnecessary with OS X?

I am quite amused by the new "Back" feature in the browser :p

I've been running Lion for months, and yet oddly Apple haven't updated their dev NDA to say that it's okay to talk about Lion. So, uh, how's Lion, guys?

First post from Lion. It's pretty. Just one thing though: should I switch to the new Safari?

Safari's pretty fast and stable, the only thing I don't like about the version 5.1 is that the Download window is gone, they replaced it with a download button in the toolbar that makes a small download popup appear, which sucks quite badly... You can't past URLs to download or even have it show up when no window is opened.

Safari's pretty fast and stable, the only thing I don't like about the version 5.1 is that the Download window is gone, they replaced it with a download button in the toolbar that makes a small download popup appear, which sucks quite badly... You can't past URLs to download or even have it show up when no window is opened.
Safari sux and manages to run slower on my Snow Leopard than Chrome does. Extensions are a JOKE.
EDIT: Installed Lion, took about 30-35 minutes so far pretty good :)

Last edited:
Lion seems to be running a little slow on my late 2007 MacBook (with 4GB of ram). Not good so far.

edit: Anyone notice that you can't hold down a key to have the letter repeat? Such as holding down the letter "O" to write "Noooooooo."

You can go into system settings and either completely turn off key repeating or set how much of a delay you want, but it seems impossible to enable key repeating no matter what your settings are.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not all too worried about it since the install is only about 45 minutes old.

More on the key repeating issue: some keys like A, Z, and ? will repeat, but not others. And only in some text fields, but not others. This is asinine.

edit: Anyone notice that you can't hold down a key to have the letter repeat? Such as holding down the letter "O" to write "Noooooooo."

You can go into system settings and either completely turn off key repeating or set how much of a delay you want, but it seems impossible to enable key repeating no matter what your settings are.
Seems to work here so IDK.

OK one annoyance, the 3 finger swipe is defaulted to change between spaces and not web navigation as it was before, I changed it back OBVIOUSLY but wtf? Especially considering that a 4 finger swipe ALSO moves you between spaces.

Last edited:
They removed the key repeat rate to add the alternate letters features from iOS on some letters like e or a.

IMHO they've ruined the gestures.
The defaults are a bit retarded but once changed not too bad. I like having a gesture for dashboard, might actually use it more and the control center is quite nice but launchpad is useless, spotlight search is way faster for launching infrequently used apps. For everything there is mastercard dock. :)

I want to find the engineer who thought that "natural" scrolling was a good idea and beat him over the head with a Thunderbolt display. It's not a good idea, its idiotic it only works right on a touch screen and it should never have been added!

I got used to the natural scrolling and now it feels, well... kinda natural actually! I'm still able to reverse back to the old way when I'm using a Snow Leopard machine though. At least you can revert it back if you don't like it :)

I have Snow Leopard on an i3 iMac.

Lion people, consenus is to buy or not to buy? Do the benefits outweigh the problems plus costs chaps/gals?

The problems are few, and the cost is low. I say go for it :)

Agreed, at that price, you might as well get it. Windows 8's gonna be a toughie for me in the PC camp..it's most likely expensive....+ unless they're hiding UI and/or major feature changes for the new "classic" user interface (what 7 looks like now) then it's not compelling at all because I wouldn't be using it on a tablet.

EDIT: They got rid of the plastic MacBook. Disappointing. Sure the design wasn't aluminum, but it was still simple and refreshingly honest and classic design. Sometimes I feel the aluminum ones are idk...a bit fussy looking? All they needed to do was switch to 2nd gen Core processors- i3's standard with maybe a lower end i5 as a CTO option.

At least educational institutions and businesses can opt for the plastic one. We have a few deployed on campus and the unibody plastic ones are just as nicely finished as the aluminum ones.

The plastic one is a favorite among college/high school kids, among others. The college kids in particular aren't going to like the fact that the MBA that replaces it doesn't have a optical drive. Many courses will use a DVD from the textbook, or you might have to watch a movie on your own time or something. Sure there's external optical drives, but who want's to juggle that thing around if you need to use said DVD in class? Furthermore, while there's netflix streaming and shit, watching DVD's is still pretty popular among college kids. Torrenting movies is a pain in the ass on most campus' due to network congestion and packet shaping measures put in place to prevent the college from being liable: I couldn't get a solid two-way direction for my FG torrent's my first week of freshman year so I didn't even bother after that.

Last edited: