Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

DoF is a factor not only of aperture, but also of image pane size (as well as focus distance). The iPhone still has a tiny little sensor, even when compared to APS-C or 4/3rds.

No no, I understand that. The website says that using the slr lenses will give you DoF, but I don't think it will.

Engadget is just a bunch of geeks jizzing over their electronic toys, they cannot be bothered to understand the important subtleties of art.

Since I lost my wide-angle zoom-lens when I sold my D60 with it, I'm looking for a new, better one. I'm quite tight on the budget now and I was thinking of buying either a 18-105 or 18-70 Nikkor from the second-hand market (from what I know, the 18-70 is a bit better but I'm not 100% sure, maybe someone can clarify that). A second-hand Tamron 17-50 would also be nice but these are more expensive and I've read many good and many bad things about it so I'm quite confused. So, what do you guys think?

Having used the 18-70 for many years I can vouch for it, a damn good lens. I'm currently trying to find a used one for cheap, because I sold my own last year (money problems) and not having a proper wide-angle sucks donkey balls. My widest lens at the moment goes to 28mm which makes 42mm thanks to the 1.5x crop...not wide at all.

My widest lens at the moment is 50mm, that really sucks!

I think my 1D MKII N is getting on its years (AF problems, lenses not mounting properly without some force etc) so I'm considering a third body. Dunno whether to go new 7D & grip or used 1D MKIII. Any thoughts ?

I think my 1D MKII N is getting on its years (AF problems, lenses not mounting properly without some force etc) so I'm considering a third body. Dunno whether to go new 7D & grip or used 1D MKIII. Any thoughts ?
From what I have heard, the 7D delivers the same, or better image quality and AF-Perfomance compared to the 1D MKIII, at the expense of lower frame rate, and that tank-like body. So unless you are dependent on having that camera working at all times to earn you your living, the 7D will do. If, on the other hand you need absolute reliability, and the ability to use it as a hammer, nothing short of a 1D will do...

5957029067_e9ef0021f0_z.jpg

Bought this today and love it.

I have the 1.8 version and love it.
Can only imagine how good the 1.4 is.

Annoyingly it's quite soft (but usable at internet resolutions) at f/1.4; mind you I'm guessing that when I need to go down to 1.4 image quality won't be of that much importance (eg going out with friends.) However it's pretty fun to use at 1.4 :D
5960069938_3d66bd41a3_z.jpg

Last edited:
I... have a problem lol.

$700 dollars spent in a few weeks for camera crap...

Now I'm just waiting for it all to come in. Canon Speedlite 430EXII and a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DX HSM. Which still hasn't come in, annoyingly.

Someone drove over my Canon 50 1.4 before, a shame really. Replaced it with the Sigma equivalent just because of the 77mm filter thread.

In other news, viewing a Canon 1D MKIII on Monday, fingers crossed it's a good one.

One of my teachers were doing some reportage somewhere in the less developed world. He had his D3, reserve D300 and a bunch of lenses and strobes in his Lowepro bag.

A fucking Land Cruiser drove over it.

Everything survived.

You have got to love professional class build quality.

Edit: For the brits here, I am sure this will be interesting (and quite funny watching):

Kudos to the City of London Police.

Last edited:
Tried to shoot portrait yesterday and god, the photos turned out hideous. I now realise just how rubbish I am at this kind of photography, but TBH I didn't like it at first and never thought I would end up shooting portrait.

Annoyingly it's quite soft (but usable at internet resolutions) at f/1.4; mind you I'm guessing that when I need to go down to 1.4 image quality won't be of that much importance (eg going out with friends.) However it's pretty fun to use at 1.4 :D

Great purchase!!! Hope you enjoy it as much as Chaos, I and truckloads of others do!

It can be sharp at f/1.4, but more often than not it's soft.

Sharpness example:

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2011/07/23/img_0750_1_.jpg

Softness example:

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2011/07/23/55527_10100188182038493_1214812_56008015_190590_o.jpg

The lens is best suited for f/2.0 and below. The max aperture I usually shoot is at f/2.0 and if I'm experimenting or know I can get it to be sharp (based on distance and lighting conditions) I'll bump it to f/1.4