Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I like stumbling on things like this, as we all know the new Focus taillights are terrible...

ford_saetta_01.jpg

ford_saetta_03.jpg

First issue is the Geico insurance. They WILL screw you. Second, if you keep your address in WV then it shouldnt matter. Can you do that?

No. Legally, the insurance is for my car, driven by me with my US license. If I do get into an accident, they will rape me on the basis that my license had expired.

However I just got in contact with them and they assured me that there would be NO DIFFERENCE in my premium, since I'm only switching in between valid driver's licenses. That's the way it should be, I hope they can be trusted.

But more importantly - I will do my best not to get into an accident :)

My car's ignition appears to have finally shit the bed. I am typing this courtesy of Panera wifi, which is where I am stranded for the next half-hour while I wait for my dad to come and either pick me up or come up with some heretofore unseen solution. The key is adamantly refusing to turn, even to accessory. Oh, the joys of car ownership.

My car's ignition appears to have finally shit the bed. I am typing this courtesy of Panera wifi, which is where I am stranded for the next half-hour while I wait for my dad to come and either pick me up or come up with some heretofore unseen solution. The key is adamantly refusing to turn, even to accessory. Oh, the joys of
VW ownership.

Fixed that for you :)

In other news, 115mph in a Mitsubishi Colt is FUCKING SCARY!!! Thank God, I'm alive. The driver just entered my list of people that I never get in cars again.

The key doesn't turn at all, not just the engine not cranking? Is it possible the steering is just locked? Try jigging the wheel. I had that happen to me the first time and flipped out, called my mom and she told me what it was. Unfortunately the way it seems you learn about this feature is making an ass of yourself figuring yourself stranded with a non starting car.

My car's ignition appears to have finally shit the bed. I am typing this courtesy of Panera wifi, which is where I am stranded for the next half-hour while I wait for my dad to come and either pick me up or come up with some heretofore unseen solution. The key is adamantly refusing to turn, even to accessory. Oh, the joys of car ownership.

Since the key's not turning at all, it could be something simple.... make sure you're all the way in park, depress the brake, make sure the steering wheel is straight? My Sebring did a weird thing every now and then with the parking brake and I basically had to check all those things before it would work...

EDIT: ninja'd by Kat.

It was just the wheels. I felt stupid when I realized it. :p

Looking forward to the tech day tomorrow. Going to finally drop the engine/transmission out of the Charger. After that, it'll be sent off to Blackbird Fabworx to have the new suspension systems installed, seam welded, chassis braced, and custom rollbar fabbed/installed.

You drive a DIESEL... :hammer:

It was just the wheels. I felt stupid when I realized it. :p
Hehe, my Audi did the same thing to me once, but I had been in other cars where it was the steering interlock so I figured it out. My dad on the other hand had to call me when it did it to him :)

Now you can inform other people when they inevitably embarrass themselves in the same way.

:nod: I was late to class once not because I couldn't start the car, but I couldn't retrieve my key after parking :lol:

Panicked call to father ensued.

Let me guess: forgot to select park before turning car off?

My GTP decided to lock my key in the ignition once or twice. Of course it was because the little brake interlock sensor thing was failing and not detecting I was in park. Dealership replaced the entire shifter unit for free since it wasn't long after I bought the car, then about a year after that the same thing started failing again. Took it apart, cleaned the contacts and made sure it wasn't a connection error, then I physically removed the lock that locks the key in the ignition from the steering column and haven't had the same issue since. Sure, now I could accidentally pull the key out while driving merrily down the road, but I figure that's a tradeoff I'm willing to take for being able to pull the key out when the car is off and in park. :lol:

They should teach that shit in drivers ed.

Something like that. I pushed the brake pedal very hard and heard a sort of "click" and the key was released. That car had to have the brake depressed to enter or exit park so I guess I just didn't trip the switch.

I do that a lot cuz I tend to put it in N when I'm waiting for someone so sometimes when I do something in the car when I already parked I'll put it in N by habbit and then go "WTF?"