Random Thoughts....

Quite agree. If only the News were as good these days as it was back then. :(

Aw jeez, I feel like a gangbuster, my pants are all too loose. Except that I wear my hats correctly to protect my face from toasting like a marshallow.

for my parents' 40th a couple years ago, my dad said to my mom, "amazing, 40 years and i can still sort of tolerate you." such romantics, we are.

Well as it turns out me mam got me dad this really expensive silver chain. She give it him this morning an' he asked her "What you been an got me a dog collar for?" Charming. ?_?

you should write tact on a brick and throw it on the back of his head in the hope he might learn some.

Yeah sometimes me mother says she wished she kept the receipt. :lol:

you should write tact on a brick and throw it on the back of his head in the hope he might learn some.

Ugh, knock some sense in to him eh?

Well I just got a facebook message off his other daughter. "What can I get me dad for his birthday?" I just said to her; I dunno, get him whatever. Then she asked me to ask me mam what she could get for him. I've turned in to a fucking secretary again, no go ask her yer bloody self!

Last edited:
Niceee. My boyfriend's brother is getting ever closer to being published by Tor Fantasy. He's gotten the "We like your book and we want to publish it, but due to fiscal reasons we can't. We'll publish it on Kindle though."

Sort of odd, but I can understand that they don't have the resources for physical copies. (Supposedly their regular authors are all publishing books this year so he has to wait for an opportunity. Terrible, but also good?)

edit: Apparently they offered him the opportunity to find a new publisher if he really wants to publish a physical copy (I can't imagine that he'd make quite enough just on Kindle sales alone). In some ways that is cool because they want to see it published as much as he does, but he is also set on moving to Sweden [or another country similar to Sweden]where Tor is located.

Last edited:
Niceee. My boyfriend's brother is getting ever closer to being published by Tor Fantasy. He's gotten the "We like your book and we want to publish it, but due to fiscal reasons we can't. We'll publish it on Kindle though."

Sort of odd, but I can understand that they don't have the resources for physical copies. (Supposedly their regular authors are all publishing books this year so he has to wait for an opportunity. Terrible, but also good?)

edit: Apparently they offered him the opportunity to find a new publisher if he really wants to publish a physical copy (I can't imagine that he'd make quite enough just on Kindle sales alone). In some ways that is cool because they want to see it published as much as he does, but he is also set on moving to Sweden [or another country similar to Sweden]where Tor is located.

Tor is a US-based company, started by Tom Doherty back in 1980. Doherty sold it to a New York firm some years ago; they in turn got bought by some Germans not too long ago and all conglomerated into MacMillan Publishing. Doherty is still in the US and still runs the operation, though - so I don't know why your boyfriend's brother thinks they're over in Scandihoovia someplace.

With the collapse of Borders Books, a lot of publishers are now having to seriously rethink what and how they're going to publish - and a lot of houses were following the Borders model, with little to no e-book publishing. Those people are now in serious trouble.

Tor/MacMillan is among them. They were/are one of the firms most adamantly against e-publishing and pro-DRM and have pretty much been in reality denial mode for a while now. My personal favorite trick of theirs is where they charge MORE for the e-version than you can buy the book for over the counter at Barnes And Noble at high retail. And you don't actually get any more than you do in the print version.

See if Tor will help him shop it over to Baen - those two houses have worked together off and on for a while, and many Baen authors cross publish with Tor.

Last edited:
They have an office in Sweden apparently (is what he said). That's what I've been told by the guy, and that is the office that took interest in his book. The editor he sent it to in the US office had no interest in the book. (A couple of the European editors had more interest for whatever reason.)

I honestly don't know too much myself, I'm not really into the whole being published thing for fantasy novels and so forth.

If that other company is the one that they seem to work with, that is probably who they will send it over to if he would prefer hard copies.

The guy really wants to live in Europe though, he's mainly giving preference to those publishers than the US ones. He might have to take whatever he can get though I have a feeling since it's already just good enough that he has interest for the book.

Last edited:
The US operations will refuse to talk to you (or anyone else) unless you have an agent, no matter how good your book is. That's the case for pretty much all publishing houses here these days.

And yes, he's very lucky that they have interest in his book, since it doesn't sound like he has an agent. Also must be *really* good for them to even bother.

Yeah he doesn't have an agent. He sent it just to see if he needed one or not. He was very close to just going on Linkedin and advertising for someone to be his agent (he was thinking of just hiring a few people and having them all deal with publishers, so I have no clue.)

Yeah I suppose, it's a pretty big series he's got planned. If he didn't get any definite answers he was just going to publish it on the internet himself and hope for interest. He's already got his own fanclub on the internet and whatnot. (They have sent him a ton of fan art of his characters from over the years... One made a mug of all of their artwork for him. It's really pretty nice. He treasures all of it and keeps it in a special spot in his room.)

Right now he's thinking over what he really wants to do, but he just got the letter.

edit: Oh yeah and the book he sent them is over 900 novel pages long. About 250+ MS Word pages.

Last edited:
Yeah he doesn't have an agent. He sent it just to see if he needed one or not. He was very close to just going on Linkedin and advertising for someone to be his agent (he was thinking of just hiring a few people and having them all deal with publishers, so I have no clue.)

Yeah I suppose, it's a pretty big series he's got planned. If he didn't get any definite answers he was just going to publish it on the internet himself and hope for interest. He's already got his own fanclub on the internet and whatnot. (They have sent him a ton of fan art of his characters from over the years... One made a mug of all of their artwork for him. It's really pretty nice. He treasures all of it and keeps it in a special spot in his room.)

Right now he's thinking over what he really wants to do, but he just got the letter.

edit: Oh yeah and the book he sent them is over 900 novel pages long. About 250+ MS Word pages.

Yeah, he needs an agent.

When I get a chance I'll try to see what he says about getting an agent (maybe more of a professional that has dealt with other clients). His other "great" ideas were to have my boyfriend or his uncle be the agent (or both). Let's just put it this way, publishers probably wouldn't dealing like either because neither have experience as such and for other things. The uncle is old and grumbly and has been a computer programmer for 20+ years... And my boyfriend's just ridiculous.

I mean, it's still quite great that he's finally seeing his dream of writing his book series being done. About two weeks after he finished book one he already started work on the next book.

When I get a chance I'll try to see what he says about getting an agent (maybe more of a professional that has dealt with other clients). His other "great" ideas were to have my boyfriend or his uncle be the agent (or both). Let's just put it this way, publishers probably wouldn't dealing like either because neither have experience as such and for other things. The uncle is old and grumbly and has been a computer programmer for 20+ years... And my boyfriend's just ridiculous.

I mean, it's still quite great that he's finally seeing his dream of writing his book series being done. About two weeks after he finished book one he already started work on the next book.

No, he needs a recognized literary agent. You can't just hire some random guy as your agent - they won't talk to him either. He needs an actual literary agent who those houses recognize.