[17x05] July 24th, 2011

[17x05] July 24th, 2011

• Total voters
Great episode. I want to go buy a tank now. And a Jenson Interceptor. That 70's style video was hilarious!

What's up with the D-bag throwing up the "Loser" L? :D nice work, MWF!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Overall a pretty good ep. Liked the Jenson film alot and the Lotus F1 replica test. News was a bit bland and guest to be honest sucked. The Demolition at the end was okay. I gave it 8/10 :)

9/10

I quite liked it, even if it did have a lot of scripted cocking-about. I loved the review of the Jensen Interceptor, although I was surprised that it was powered by a GM LS3. I expected the builders to keep the Chrysler connection alive by putting a Viper V10, or maybe a Hemi V8 in it. Although the LS3 at 6.2 litres is very close in displacement to the 6.3 litre Chrysler V8s that were originally fitted. Shame they didn't do something about that steering rack, though.

Continuing with the 70's theme was the test of the Lotus T125, in the classic JPS black & gold paint scheme. (Black and gold together is one of my favorite color combinations.) It was fun watching Jeremy channeling the spirit of James May every time he stalled the car. (Bloody hell!)

The Bob Geldof SIARPC segment was pretty bad. Not as bad as I'm sure the live segment was, but bad. And the editing of the interview was very apparent, when usually the TG editors work is seamless. You can tell they tried their best to make it interesting, and I thank them for the effort.

I genuinely liked seeing the military equipment that they used; as well as the stuff just lying around waiting to be bought. I just wish that Richard had been able to fly a Westland Lynx. (As, I suspect, does he.) And what was a X305 Jaguar doing in a military surplus garage? Staff car, perhaps?

On top of all that, this episode had some of the best scenes/lines of the series thus far:

Richard kicking that girl in the babymaker

"Princess Diana had one of these!"

"You've only gone and blown the bloody door off!"

"James, what are they going to do? Cu-"

Seriously? Band Aid, Live Aid, Live 8, or the Boomtown Rats don't ring any bells?

Plus, what I remember him best for - the role of Pink in "Pink Floyd's The Wall."

Seriously? Band Aid, Live Aid, Live 8, or the Boomtown Rats don't ring any bells?

I got $10 says you googled that to try and fit in...

'The Interceptors' title sequence was the most f***ing hilarious thing I've seen in a long time, Top Gear or not. And that Army surplus warehouse, my idea of heaven!

Last edited:
Could be a 12/10 just because of the Jensen bit, Clarkson's mustache, punch sound effects and the EPIC Lotus. But... SIARPC brought it down to 7/10 :(

And the demolition sequence plus MWF upstaging Jeremy bumped it back to 10/10 :lol:

Untill now, 17x03 was the best of this series. I'll change my best episode in the series to 17x05 :D

PS: Is it just me or James fits in a 70's police series really, REALLY well?

Last edited:
Still chuckling over those moustaches. Jezzer looked like either a used car salesmen or a taxi driver, James just looked like he came like that from home and for some reason Hamster seemed like it was actually his. I wonder if the Albanian stuff was left over footage from the last trip ?

MWF - Just priceless ;-]

Pretty much the worst Top Gear episode ever.

Jensen bit was okay, news was sort of okay, Lotus bit was okay but what a waste they did not all take part, Bob was boring and the demo piece - well I'm sure the boys had fun filming it but it was so boring to watch (no surprises, no real contest...). The only thing I found really funny was the 70s crime series piece but it's no like the earth shook or that's it memorable in any way.

I hate to say it but I'm starting to wonder if the show needs a break for a year or two to get fresh again. The really good episodes are getting further and further apart and we needs those more than just okay episodes.

9/10
I genuinely liked seeing the military equipment that they used; as well as the stuff just lying around waiting to be bought. I just wish that Richard had been able to fly a Westland Lynx. (As, I suspect, does he.) And what was a X305 Jaguar doing in a military surplus garage? Staff car, perhaps?

It's probably armoured, as that Jag and a few similar ones are still for sale: http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,37,/30674/Jaguar.htm. Could the Beetle in the first picture of the advertisement also be armoured? =P

MWF FTW. :lmao:

It got spoilered for me though, I saw your new sig gif before I watched the episode. Spoilering bastard!

That former F1 driver looked a lot like Sarkozy when wearing sunglasses.

Last edited:
People who like Toyota's shouldn't be allowed on the show.
On 2nd thought, people who like Toyota's and are as boring as a Toyota shouldn't be allowed on the show.

It was obvious Jeremy wanted to get on to his lap but he kept prolonging the interview. What a boring guest.

Loved the Interceptor commerical with the Bond girls, the Lotus F1 segment was informative and wish it was longer, and the house demolition was fun as well.

Pretty much the worst Top Gear episode ever.

Jensen bit was okay, news was sort of okay, Lotus bit was okay but what a waste they did not all take part, Bob was boring and the demo piece - well I'm sure the boys had fun filming it but it was so boring to watch (no surprises, no real contest...). The only thing I found really funny was the 70s crime series piece but it's no like the earth shook or that's it memorable in any way.

I hate to say it but I'm starting to wonder if the show needs a break for a year or two to get fresh again. The really good episodes are getting further and further apart and we needs those more than just okay episodes.

Go back to watching season 14 with the rest of your buddies in the fringe - this has been the best (overall) season in quite a while. Since, I'd say, 10 or 11.

I don't mean to be particularly anal about this or anything but isn't the Galant in question actually a Legnum? Just sayin'.

for some reason Hamster seemed like it was actually his.

That's exactly what I was thinking, he looked like a lost member of The Beatles, straight out of the past... The others just looked like they had a fake moustache on.

Anyway, the Interceptor was orgasmic. The noise, the looks, the style, the materials, the little quirks... want one of those badly. That car is so much more emotional than something like a Weismann or a 911. And as proven by this car, there is so much more to being retro than looks. The film was also pretty good, though the retro opening bit came a bit outta nowhere, but I guess they had to do it for the entertainment value.

The news, well, was pretty average for the most part. The 59-minute-joke really dragged on for the rest of the show which should hammer home the point that as a presenter Hammond is terrible compared to the other 2. Obviously the Galant bit was awesome. First I thought "that's the coolest audience member they've had in 5 years, and the L for Loser was absolutely perfect". It was only after reading this that I found he was one of ours. Figures :lol:

The F1 bit was surprisingly interesting and Alesi was pretty likeable.

The guest was pretty forgettable. Had no idea who he was. I guess he had some road-building insight but the details weren't communicated very well.

The intro to the demolition bit was great. Very interesting and reminded me how badly I want a Willys Jeep, or any old offroader really, for a winter beater. Too bad there aren't any up here. Even beat-up diesel gel?ndewagens cost 10 grand or more. The cocking about part was what it was but thankfully at this point the show was pretty tightly packed so at least it didn't drag on.

I just wanna keep replaying that Interceptors theme intro. So awesome!

I skipped SIARPC because of the pre warning, but I might watch it again if it was a little bit worth it after all.

Such a really good flowing, tightly edited show, especially since I sorta expected it to be cut off at the end. :lol:

Man, that's a lot of military equipment rusting away. :(

Anyway 9/10 from me.