Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

A freind of mine called and asked me to persuade his significant other not to buy a VW Beetle. It didn't work cause it is cuuuuuute. I could hear him facepalm through the phone.

In this case because they are F-22 Raptors when compared to a VW Polo. He went from the latter to a Volvo and has mentally committed himself to only consider Volvo. I'm guessing he also joined a couple Volvo forums as well thus furthering his commitment. Now he has a stake in a community that he will abandon if he purchases another brand of car.

In a way, you are correct, although I'm not really a vital part of any Volvo forum. But it's not really based on the performance. I, in no way, think that a Volvo can be fast around a track. I don't want it to be. What it comes down to is style. I like the Volvo styling (the older ones at least). I tried to convince myself to get an A4 or an Impreza. The Impreza is too...teenager-ish. It may be fast, but it looks a bit juvenile. I'm not a fan of the interior either. On the complete opposite of the scale is the Jag XJ - it looks and feels too sophisticated for a person like me - a mere grad student. And the A4 is just as bland as a Volvo, and from what I read the 3.0 AWD one is just as problematic as a Volvo, so there is no point in getting one of those either.

I did consider a New-Edge Mustang. Great price. Great engine. Looks are okay. But that interior, with that plastic...ugh...I just don't want to sit in one ever again.

The Infiniti G35 seems to be infamous for blowing engines due to excessive oil consumption.

So we are back to square one - the Volvo. Spectre, I have never heard of any valve problems with it. It must be a pretty rare problem. You are correct on the haldex and 4C suspension though. Those two will set me back $8,000 when they need replacing. That's why I'm not really sold on the S60R...all other Volvos are cheap to maintain (at least as cheap as an Audi or a VW).

But anyways, I promise to stop bothering you guys for the next several weeks with my Volvo problems. Once a potential buy that is near me pops up, I might report back.

In a way, you are correct, although I'm not really a vital part of any Volvo forum. But it's not really based on the performance. I, in no way, think that a Volvo can be fast around a track. I don't want it to be. What it comes down to is style. I like the Volvo styling (the older ones at least). I tried to convince myself to get an A4 or an Impreza. The Impreza is too...teenager-ish. It may be fast, but it looks a bit juvenile. I'm not a fan of the interior either. On the complete opposite of the scale is the Jag XJ - it looks and feels too sophisticated for a person like me - a mere grad student. And the A4 is just as bland as a Volvo, and from what I read the 3.0 AWD one is just as problematic as a Volvo, so there is no point in getting one of those either.

I did consider a New-Edge Mustang. Great price. Great engine. Looks are okay. But that interior, with that plastic...ugh...I just don't want to sit in one ever again.

The Infiniti G35 seems to be infamous for blowing engines due to excessive oil consumption.

So we are back to square one - the Volvo. Spectre, I have never heard of any valve problems with it. It must be a pretty rare problem. You are correct on the haldex and 4C suspension though. Those two will set me back $8,000 when they need replacing. That's why I'm not really sold on the S60R...all other Volvos are cheap to maintain (at least as cheap as an Audi or a VW).

But anyways, I promise to stop bothering you guys for the next several weeks with my Volvo problems. Once a potential buy that is near me pops up, I might report back.

You don't need to be a vital part of any forum, you just need a connection to them. Read back on your posts here and you'll see you kept coming up with contradictory reasons to buy a Volvo. Go ahead and buy one, but the reason is for what I said: you are connected to a group and a perceived loyalty to a car which was a massive step up from your previous one.

Go ahead and buy one, but the reason is for what I said: you are connected to a group and a perceived loyalty to a car which was a massive step up from your previous one.

Almost any car on the US market fits that definition. :p

I'm not saying it is unique. I don't see the need to come up with excuses.

Wait. Why do you like a focus hatchback. I like focus hatchbacks, that is clearly not boring enough for you. :p

I genuinely like the Focus....ok so maybe not the US/Canada only "massive refresh" of the first gen car, but the others are very nice. :)

Almost any car on the US market fits that definition. :p

Ahem....

Saturn-SL2.jpeg

*runs* :tease:

Ahem....

Saturn-SL2.jpeg

*runs* :tease:

Hence the 'Almost' qualifier, duh.

Have you scrapped your POS yet?

Here's some interesting candidates:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ctd/2510146679.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2508973458.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2508444356.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2507835192.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2505221076.html <-- amusing
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2504288677.html <-- will probably run until the sun goes cold and likely the most reliable thing on the list. In fact, it's in your budget, so you should go buy it now. If you don't, some gardener will happily pick it up and chortle all the way to the bank with it.

Last edited:
And the A4 is just as bland as a Volvo, and from what I read the 3.0 AWD one is just as problematic as a Volvo, so there is no point in getting one of those either.
B6 - 1.8T will cost you something like 6-7K + Stage 1+ tune (injectors and an actual tune) from APR + a metal DV (stock one will likely fail) + Hitachi Type E coilpacks (stock ones like to fail) and you will end up with same amount of power as the 3.0 and still be many times more reliable than the Volvo. Total cost of all the upgrades would be under $1300 assuming you are doing the work yourself, which is actually more than possible since neither the injectors nor the coil packs or the DV are that hard to swap. (latter one is a bit annoying undoing the factory clamps but that's about it). Find a USP model for a nicer suspension, S4 body kit, nicer seats and so on. Can be hard to find but is more sporty than a regular 1.8T.
B5 - S4 (2.7T) 277 HP stock, costs around same as a B6 1.8T these days and tons of aftermarket options.
B6 - S4 (4.2) 320HP stock, V8 and a sport suspension stock, around 15K for a decent one, not many issues AFAIK especially if you keep it stock and really it has enough performance to not need upgrades.

Don't know much about BMWs but I'm sure you could get similar pricing for similar performance.

Don't know much about BMWs but I'm sure you could get similar pricing for similar performance.

They're more expensive to tune, but you can also get faster ones stock.

On the other hand, smoking an S60R is just a pulley, chip and tune away on an XJR6. :D

Hence the 'Almost' qualifier, duh.

Have you scrapped your POS yet?

Here's some interesting candidates:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ctd/2510146679.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2508973458.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2508444356.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2507835192.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2505221076.html <-- amusing
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2504288677.html <-- will probably run until the sun goes cold and likely the most reliable thing on the list. In fact, it's in your budget, so you should go buy it now. If you don't, some gardener will happily pick it up and chortle all the way to the bank with it.

Out of those I like the Prism the best. :D LOL @ taxi...yeahhhh no.

Out of those I like the Prism the best. :D LOL @ taxi...yeahhhh no.

Seriously, you should probably go get the last one on the list right now. It's in your immediate budget and apparently doesn't need anything mechanical right now.

They're more expensive to tune, but you can also get faster ones stock.
And would certainly be a lot more enjoyable dynamically. Then again if he is willing to look into Mustang might as well look at a 350Z, you can easily get one for around 10K and those things are solid.

And would certainly be a lot more enjoyable dynamically. Then again if he is willing to look into Mustang might as well look at a 350Z, you can easily get one for around 10K and those things are solid.

An X100 XKR is just about as fast out of the box... and it doesn't actually *look* like a box, come to think of it. And you really can't complain that the interior looks cheap on one of those. Even without an LSD, they're a blast. :D Cheaper to buy and run, too.

Last week with the Golf!
The Fiat is ready to be delivered on August 4th, the lawyer and bank have all the papers ready (we need a lawyer down here to buy a car).

The dealer also told me that the shipment of 500s they got in has nicer wheels than what I've seen, with a graphite finish. This is awesome since I was planning on painting them anyways.

I want my new car now!!!!. I really haven't been this excited about a car, EVER! And I've only driven the 1.2, can't wait for my 1.4, 20 HP stronger (100 total) and 6 speed.

Seriously, you should probably go get the last one on the list right now. It's in your immediate budget and apparently doesn't need anything mechanical right now.

Ill consider it. I'd have to learn stick though and it hasn't had its inspection, so who knows what that will turn up...

Last week with the Golf!
The Fiat is ready to be delivered on August 4th, the lawyer and bank have all the papers ready (we need a lawyer down here to buy a car).

The dealer also told me that the shipment of 500s they got in has nicer wheels than what I've seen, with a graphite finish. This is awesome since I was planning on painting them anyways.

I want my new car now!!!!. I really haven't been this excited about a car, EVER! And I've only driven the 1.2, can't wait for my 1.4, 20 HP stronger (100 total) and 6 speed.

Awesome. Hope to see some pictures of it in a post your car thread when it comes :)

Last edited:
Last week with the Golf!

The 1.4 is actually 30HP more powerful than the 69HP 1.2 ^^ (just to add to your general excitement)

So what was the last one on the list, since the listing is gone now?

From that list, my advice would be to buy the Buick Roadmaster, drive it for the interim, clean it up some (maybe paint it a less godawful color and lose the faux-wood) and flip it to a Bitchin' Wagon Enthusiast for the cash necessary to get something with a more sensibly sized powerplant.

Oh, and rick, I'll totally teach you stick if you provide the crapcan in which to do it (I just changed my ZX2's clutch and would like to not have to do that ever again for the life of the car, thank you)

Last edited:
An X100 XKR is just about as fast out of the box... and it doesn't actually *look* like a box, come to think of it. And you really can't complain that the interior looks cheap on one of those. Even without an LSD, they're a blast. :D Cheaper to buy and run, too.
I'd be hard pressed to call the 350Z boxy, though I will admit it's not my favorite body style for the Z. Mine go 240Z (260 and 280 included they look largely the same), 370Z, Z32 (300ZX MkII), 350Z, Z31 (300ZX MkI).

XKR would be another good choice, I think the Z would probably be more sporty (never driven XKR to compare) and a bit more fun dynamically but he's thinking of a Volvo..... :p
Ill consider it. I'd have to learn stick though
That's another reason to go for it...