Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Would highly recommend looking at the used Infiniti FX35 then, looks better than Murano inside and out and also has a normal 5spd AT. Should be able to find a very good one under the price of most of these other new cars.

As far as power, I see the Vue Redline at 257hp/248tq, vs Murano at 260/240, didn't see how much ligher Vue is. But the FX35 with 280/270 would solve it.

Last edited:
The Infiniti FX does look nice. The only problem is that most of the ones I've found are right at the upper edge of my budget. ($22K) I can afford to spend 22 grand - I'd just rather not have to.

I haven't checked weight figures, but considering that the Vue is a compact SUV and the Murano is a mid-sized crossover, the Vue *has* to be a bit lighter.

Carmax has a nice looking Magnum SRT-8 for sale - I like the Magnum, but the drawback to that is that the 6.1 litre Hemi doesn't have the MDS (Multi-cylinder Displacement System) so gas mileage is worse than on the standard R/T with the 5.7 litre. I'm still sorely tempted, though.

I'm also tempted by the Ford Explorer SportTrac - but fuel economy is only 18mpg on the highway. That's a bit low when you consider the main reason I would get the SportTrac pickup is to avoid people in NH questioning my manhood. :p

I just heard something wankel-powered accelerate along the highway, the howl was just glorious. Perfect ending on a warm summer evening.

Get the SRT8 and a motorbike! Then you can have a parts/ass hauler! :D

Ah. I'm seeing FX35 AWD around here on autotrader for $16-$20k, but may be different out in the Rep of CA.

For weight, Red Line adds a little weight to the XR model but being FWD is lighter than the AWD version which is almost 4,100lbs.

Saturn VUE Red Line Front-wheel Drive
3,750 lbs.

Nissan Murano SL 4dr Front-wheel Drive
4,015 lbs.

Infiniti FX35 Base 4dr 4x2 (RWD)
4,094 lbs.

Last edited:
That would be perfect if was a 6 speed and not in such a blindingly red color.

I didn't even know you could get an S4 Avant.
You can get a 6 speed and they made them in more colors than that :p I actually wasn't sure if they brought them to the US, they are fairly rare here.

You can get a 6 speed and they made them in more colors than that :p I actually wasn't sure if they brought them to the US, they are fairly rare here.

Yeah, all the S4s (sedans) I remember seeing had 6 speeds; I guess the Tiptronic automatic was available but I'd never seen one. Also, I'd seen so many B6 S4s in gray or silver it's easy to forget that they came in other colors.

I don't know, I might just go with something reasonably priced. There's a blue Suzuki Forenza in Roseville and a Suzuki Aerio sedan in Walnut Creek that I just might check out.

Last edited:
Yeah, all the S4s (sedans) I remember seeing had 6 speeds; I guess the Tiptronic automatic was available but I'd never seen one. Also, I'd seen so many B6 S4s in gray or silver it's easy to forget that they came in other colors.

I don't know, I might just go with something reasonably priced. There's a blue Suzuki Forenza in Roseville and a Suzuki Aerio sedan in Walnut Creek that I just might check out.
Yeah they had both as an option, might also wanna check the All-road they were available with the turbo 6 and manual IIRC :)

Yeah they had both as an option, might also wanna check the All-road they were available with the turbo 6 and manual IIRC :)

You'll want to skip the Vue - the ones with the Honda engine have a good engine there, but both the Honda and GM engined ones have major transmission problems, and the GM engined ones have a disposable transmission. Actually costs more to get one of those fixed in some locales than it does to rebuild a Jaguar transmission, to give you some idea. If it fails out of warranty, most people get the estimate and scrap the car. Those who bought the extended warranty have reported having to change/repair the transmission sometimes multiple times in a year, and this is at dealerships.

It is speculated that the problem is that the Vue is too heavy for the transmissions they used. See: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1ac0eb

Last edited:
You'll want to skip the Vue - the ones with the Honda engine have a good engine there, but both the Honda and GM engined ones have major transmission problems, and the GM engined ones have a disposable transmission. Actually costs more to get one of those fixed in some locales than it does to rebuild a Jaguar transmission, to give you some idea. If it fails out of warranty, most people get the estimate and scrap the car. Those who bought the extended warranty have reported having to change the transmission sometimes multiple times in a year, and this is at dealerships.

It appears that the problem is that the Vue is too heavy for the transmission they used. See: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1ac0eb

Didn't the Honda-engined Vue use the same transmission as in the Honda Pilot?

Didn't the Honda-engined Vue use the same transmission as in the Honda Pilot?

Yes, and Honda recalled the Pilot and Odyssey transmissions for a similar reason. The J35A3 transmission doesn't seem to like heavier vehicles.

But the GM-engined ones with the Aisin transmission (non-Honda) have similar failure rates. There's a reason the Vue is an endangered species.

Yes, and Honda recalled the Pilot and Odyssey transmissions for a similar reason. The J35A3 transmission doesn't seem to like heavier vehicles.

But the GM-engined ones with the Aisin transmission (non-Honda) have similar failure rates. There's a reason the Vue is an endangered species.

Ah, that's right. I remember hearing about transmission issues in the Odyssey around 2002-04.

Like most people, I hear "Honda" I assume "rock solid reliability".

Checking out Subaru wagons now. Subaru, why couldn't you have imported the turbo Legacy to the States? The Impreza WRX is fine, but I'm afraid of getting one that was abused. And a WRX with a manual transmission that wasn't abused is a rare bird indeed. Maybe I should look for a Saab 9-2X.

Ah, that's right. I remember hearing about transmission issues in the Odyssey around 2002-04.

I check to make sure there's 'bike' or 'motorcycle' after 'Honda' before I assume 'rock solid reliability'. See prior comments about why Honda makes cars. To be fair, Honda car engines are in fact generally rock solid reliable. It's what they're bolted to that can be disappointing.

Checking out Subaru wagons now. Subaru, why couldn't you have imported the turbo Legacy to the States? The Impreza WRX is fine, but I'm afraid of getting one that was abused. And a WRX with a manual transmission that wasn't abused is a rare bird indeed. Maybe I should look for a Saab 9-2X.

The 9-2X is less likely to be abused, yes, but good luck getting replacements for the Saab-specific interior parts (they upgraded the interior over the WRX) when they inevitably break, and body parts for the Saab fascias aren't cheap should you prang it.

Other thing is that anything to do with the top end of that boxer engine = huge PITA. Not fun to work on.

Last edited:

WRX has a tranny made out of pure glass, that said wagons are usually less abused as they are not all that popular with the boy racer crowd (wagons being uncool and all). You could look at Foresters (since your preference seems to be towards SUVs) I think they had 6 cyl or turbo 4 models.

I check to make sure there's 'bike' or 'motorcycle' after 'Honda' before I assume 'rock solid reliability'. See prior comments about why Honda makes cars. To be fair, Honda car engines are in fact generally rock solid reliable. It's what they're bolted to that can be disappointing.

Literally what they're bolted to... those Odysseys also like to eat engine mounts. I had one in need of replacement when I sold mine, and it was by no means an isolated problem.

I noticed on the Odyssey boards a fair number of people actually keep replacing transmissions, probably because its the best driving minivan (or because they've bought into a 25k+ car and expected it to actually last.)

I'm sure someone is being shown my old car in a showroom right now and being told it was "Driven by a mother of two to school and the post office." :) Wonder how many people buy these used without knowing about these possible issues. I'd pretty much rule out anything built by Honda from about 1997 through 2005 with an automatic.

http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?northcountry25/category/ALL

Someone needs to get something from that auction! $15 (at time of post) for a Jaaaggg V12! A lot of Jaaaaag and BL parts for $6! A '49 Buick for $882!

I can't find shipping information, but I'm tempted to get one of those cheap motors to make a coffee table or something.