The "New Toys" Thread

Yeah I already copied a folder of PDF ebooks I had into it and it worked fine.

Yeah I already copied a folder of PDF ebooks I had into it and it worked fine.

Does it have to be PDF?

Can it support .txt, .rtf .doc formats?

Anything it doesn't support can be e-mailed to a dedicated account set up for it, which Amazon will convert and send directly to the device, IIRC.

Anything it doesn't support can be e-mailed to a dedicated account set up for it, which Amazon will convert and send directly to the device, IIRC.

Or you can use the great open-source ebook manager Calibre, which can convert any existing e-book format into any other and automatically load them onto any e-reader device (be it a Kindle, an iPad, a Nook, or pretty much whatever else there is).

Or you can use the great open-source ebook manager Calibre, which can convert any existing e-book format into any other and automatically load them onto any e-reader device (be it a Kindle, an iPad, a Nook, or pretty much whatever else there is).
Calibre is great, I use it with my Nook.

Birthday gift from mother. :)

Awesome, we have two in our house, best purchase of 2011

Yeah, i use Calibre for our Kindles, works great, nice conversion and good newspaper/magazine coverage, though i wanted to leave it on all the time and it's a bit of a resource hog, also, unless it's a picture heavy document, recommend always convert pdfs to mobi files for the kindles, it has a few quirks with pdfs that can get annoying if you're just reading.

I love my Kindle as well - when it works. Mine has unfortunately broken, the screen only works in the lower left part, the rest has frozen completely.

Only problem is, their support in Denmark is.. Less than impressive, I have to phone a US number if I want any help. I haven't gotten around to that :) I don't see why they can't do it via mail, talking to me will likely make.. Well, no difference whatsoever.

Indonesia_Canon_EOS_1D_Mark_III_Digital_SLR_Camera_Body2009331722209.jpg

Canon EOS 1D MKIII - Purchased used from a Canon Authorised Professional Service Facility and when I get home I noticed that the UV filter in front of the sensor is marked. Waiting on a wet cleaning kit to see if it's just stubborn dirt or a permanent scratch. In fairness to the CAPSF they had no idea it was there (although they really should have) and were genuinely apologetic. If it's not dirt they'll arrange a courier to take it to the UK and have it rebuilt and returned to me for no extra charge.

Having been told how much it costs to buy some electronic things in AUS, I am guessing that is a bargain and that money was saved up from not buying things for a while just for this trip :lol:

Having been told how much it costs to buy some electronic things in AUS, I am guessing that is a bargain and that money was saved up from not buying things for a while just for this trip :lol:
I bet a plane ticket offset all those savings :p

funny people. :D

leaving on friday already... been here for a month to visit relatives. some of those were gifts as well and yes we didn't come here just to shop. Saved up and we kinda knew what things we wanted to buy before coming here so instead of buying it in the land where everything is overpriced, we waited patiently and got them here :D