Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just my 0.02, but if you can afford to buy those cars then fuel economy really shouldnt of paramount concern. That said, I'd buy a two year old Lincoln Town Car and ignore the crossovers.

yet not in America.

If you're not dead set on a purely manual car, I found a Passat Tiptronic for a <$10k in your area. I also found this Jetta 5spd that seems a little overpriced, but I don't know if that's the same car you already found.
Those tiptronic transmissions are known for falling apart, I think they fixed it in 2009? but a 2004 would have the same one as my car and unless it has been replaced already I would not buy anything with it in it. Hugely expensive repair and even though the defectiveness has caused them to expand the warranty to 100k/10yr that is not a recall so if it is or goes over it, it is apparently like 2k just in parts. Some of the posts I read said it was 5k to have it done at the dealer.

Gah, the negatives of living opposite a pub are showing. Somebody jammed a vodka bottle under the front wheel of Dad's Octavia, luckily it didn't puncture the tyre but the bottle exploded when run over and showered the street with glass shards.

Somebody has also stolen the cover for one of the headlamp washers. when I get a car I don't think I'll be parking it outside the house...

That's a huge tank. 3.1 litres/100 km is good too. I found the article and it said he average 45 mph, which is really not the recommended speed to travel at. I'd like to see that retaken with normal driving, with a normal Passat trailing it. Pulling a record in laboratory conditions isn't THAT impressive.

I assume his highway speed was about 50-55, the lower average comes from some towns and other slower stretches. Like I said, not advisable in real life, yet possible. By going a bit faster you will have a dip in range, but still get far into four digit miles.

The 70l tank is the Passat's standard tank, nothing optional or aftermarket.

Just my 0.02, but if you can afford to buy those cars then fuel economy really shouldnt of paramount concern. That said, I'd buy a two year old Lincoln Town Car and ignore the crossovers.

It's not of paramount concern, otherwise I'd buy an old 3 cylinder Geo Metro. The object is to find a car that has space enough for my stuff, is very reliable, gets decent highway mileage (As that's where the majority of my driving will be.), has decent road manners, and while it may not give me a fizzy feeling in the root of my penis, neither should it feel like a penalty box. And as the 2011 V6 Mustang is my first choice, you can see I'm willing to compromise on the space issue. (And I would buy a 2005-09 GT if Ford had made the 3.27 rear end standard, instead of the 3.55.)

I do kind of like the Town Car - having owned one previously. And I know that the Ford 4.6 litre modular V8 is surprising economical. (I was getting close to 25mpg in my Tbird on my trip to Las Vegas - and that was driving 75mph most of the way with the AC on.) But the Town Car is a bit floppy on twisting roads - and there are plenty of those where I'll be moving to in Northern New England. That being said, if I find a clean, low-mileage 2003+ Town Car in black for a good price, I just may be taking it home. Or maybe a black Mercury Grand Marquis/Marauder, so I can pretend to be Steve McGarrett. :D

Which can bring you right back to the CVPI, which is not unlike a Town Car, but is not floppy.

And the CVPI has a taller rear end doesn't it? Something like a 2.92 or 2.73?

That would be good for gas mileage on the highway, if not necessarily for acceleration.

Depending on year and how the department ordered it, it will say on the door tag. Mine's a 3.55 car, but most are 3.27s. Though there was enough swapping around at police departments, etc. and some will have had the civilian 2.73's swapped in as well. All the P72 taxi/non-police fleet variants are 2.73, though.

You can check for the metal tag on the rear diff cover to be sure. "27" is a 3.27, "3L27" is a 3.27 with LSD.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the police department as well. A city cruiser would probably be geared for better acceleration where as a state police or highway patrol car that covers more highway miles would be geared to turn lower revs and save the department some money at the pump.

3.55? Must of been a special order rear end. I've never seen anything lower than a 3.27 in a civilian Crown Vic. My Town Car had the trailer towing package, and even that had a 3.27.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind having a P71. But there would have to be a perfect storm of criteria to meet for me to buy one.

• It would have to have low miles (Well under 100K)
  • It can not be a patrol unit
  • It needs to be in a discreet color - no white or black. (I don't want to be stuck crossing the country behind a car who's driver is afraid to break the speed limit because he thinks a cop is following him. Not to mention being flagged down by every stranded motorist or crime victim.)
  • And it must be 2003 or newer. (The suspension was upgraded for 2003, resulting in a better ride/handling compromise. Though it still wouldn't be confused with a Mustang GT.)

I guess it depends on the police department as well. A city cruiser would probably be geared for better acceleration where as a state police or highway patrol car that covers more highway miles would be geared to turn lower revs and save the department some money at the pump.

3.55? Must of been a special order rear end. I've never seen anything lower than a 3.27 in a civilian Crown Vic. My Town Car had the trailer towing package, and even that had a 3.27.

Early in the Aero era, 3.55 was standard for a few years (IIRC) and optional for the rest. 06-up have 3.55s standard. It's not a really special order, it was a standard option on offer. As mentioned before, CVPIs might as well be a completely different car to the civilian model; they're quite different beasts. You can't get the armored seats, center dash trunk opening slap button, or the police prep wiring harness in a civvie car either. :p

But yeah, I wouldn't mind having a P71. But there would have to be a perfect storm of criteria to meet for me to buy one.

• It would have to have low miles (Well under 100K)

I wouldn't worry about this one. Most are sold at 100K and depending on the department were maintained very well. They have a useful life of about 250K. Mine had 92K on it when I picked it up last year.

• It can not be a patrol unit

Easy. Detectives', supervisors', and even some city fleet cars were P71s that weren't used for patrol. The local Fire Department has several.

• It needs to be in a discreet color - no white or black. (I don't want to be stuck crossing the country behind a car who's driver is afraid to break the speed limit because he thinks a cop is following him. Not to mention being flagged down by every stranded motorist or crime victim.)

This is going to be a possible problem. Most were white, black or repainted that color prior to sale. On the other hand, white means you can speed with near impunity...

• And it must be 2003 or newer. (The suspension was upgraded for 2003, resulting in a better ride/handling compromise. Though it still wouldn't be confused with a Mustang GT.)

It wasn't just the suspension that got upgraded in 2003, and even that was a redesign. It got an all new frame, brakes and steering too. The suspension is actually wider and the older wheels will not fit.

Last edited:
Out of the three you'd pick, I'd choose the mustang if pure driving fun is your top priority. The manual might get annoying on long drives though...
Ah, someone who can't drive a manual saying it would be annoying on long drives. :p

The place a manual is most annoying is in the city, and even I with my dodgy knees and weak legs can drive my car with its heavy clutch for an hour in peak hour city traffic crawl with no problems, or wishing I had an auto. Americans (and an increasing number of Australians) seem to be scared of such massive torture, though.

On a long journey, it really is a non-issue. How often does your car change gear on the highway? Hardly ever, only at fairly significant hills and maybe occasionally when overtaking. It's much the same in a manual. In fact, you find yourself waiting for the moment you have a reason to change gear, just so you have something to do. Long drives are boring.

Last edited:
Yep, exactly.

I was one of those people who thought that an automatic would be better in the city, too. Especially with my bad knee.
But I found that it's not unbearable, and if even if my leg gets tired holding the clutch in, well I can just shift into neutral and give it a rest.

Long drives can be boring, but there will be so many scenery changes, I doubt I will be that bored. I will be crossing the Great Basin Desert of Nevada, the salt flats at Bonneville, the Rocky Mountains in Wyoming, the Mississippi River in Iowa, plus the cities of Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Rochester.

Not looking forward to Nebraska, though. That is one leg of the trip where I'll wish I had an Autonomobile.

What do you guys think of these wheels?

fullsize_132.jpg

The car is for sale, and apart from the aftermarket wheels it is awesome. The price is also reasonable, but I may have to fork around $2000 more for some decent Volvo wheels and tires.

What do you guys think of these wheels?

fullsize_132.jpg

The car is for sale, and apart from the aftermarket wheels it is awesome. The price is also reasonable, but I may have to fork around $2000 more for some decent Volvo wheels and tires.

The wheels aren't bad to me, although some other styles might look better. Which Volvo branded wheels were you considering?

Either the original 16" Comets:

IMG_8754.jpg

Or the sweet 17" Pegs:

2.jpg

And I'll definitely have to get the rear spoiler.

Last edited: