BBC iPlayer going global!

the global idea is splendid, however i would also say that the advertisement is a better idea than a $10 fee. the iplayer would only be worth it however if you can use all of the features over seas such as the live viewing of programs such as the news

They should make a deal with ITV and CH4 & CH5 offer a complete package - there has to be something in that lot for everyone.

They should make a deal with ITV and CH4 & CH5 offer a complete package - there has to be something in that lot for everyone.

they already tried to do that, it was shot down by the Competition Commission because - surprise - it would have a monopoly over the market.

Oh F*ck I Hope You're Right

Oh F*ck I Hope You're Right

So maybe they will just have like a cut-down iPlayer sister site for non-UK residents with select BBC shows for purchase. Leaving the full-fat version as it is for UK consumption only (and those who play with proxy servers).

I like the way you think, Otis--finally Hollywood's greed will work for us, requiring BBC to establish a parallel iPlayer infrastructure in order to operate beyond its current bailiwick.

I've barely got a grasp on get_iPlayer's command-line lexicon and I've no idea how I backed into a working configuration. The last thing I need is for the Beeb to revise iPlayer in a way that deprecates my setup--or introduces advertising into it.

Right what they should do is a subscription service with several layers. The top layer would be everything available in the UK to be made available internationally. They need to do a deal with the musicians/copyright owners for an enhanced royalties cheque on things offered on the international version so that they do NOT have to muck up the TV experience with rubbish generic music.

So go from the iPlayer costs to an annual fee and may be some form of intermediate offering(s). Probably needs to be offered on other platforms other than the apple one too.

They need to watch out the government is about, now they will want to dip their grubby fingers in the pie, and pull out a plum?

They need to watch out the government is about, now they will want to dip their grubby fingers in the pie, and pull out a plum?

They are far more likely to take the entire pie. run off and leave them with a bill charging them for baking the thing in the first place.

Pick up pie, eat pie, criticise BBC for having made a pie in the first place and demand all the pie making equipment, the recepie and the chef.

Next moan that the pie was not 'Green' too and make everyone in the BBC - their posh mates excepted move to Middlesborough.

Brought to you by that posh charlie Camerooooon

Last edited: