FinalGear Ringmeet 2011: August 12 - 14 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
In short: blue lines are unlimited Autobahns, or should be. BUT as you can imagine situations can change, so always watch for speedlimits. But as soon as you see the sign which i happen to use as avatar currently, you are good to go!

There's one caveat to that sign, it only means derestricted on roads that have a barrier in the middle between the two directions or at least two lanes per direction. On anything else it means 100km/h.

As well: Roadworks information from the German Department of Transport. Choose a state or an Autobahn number, and it will tell you where on that route / in that state are roadworks on the Autobahn.
Sadly, the site is in German, but the list should be understandable anyway: First column tells where there are roadworks, third column how long they are, fourth when they plan to start and finish, fifth the posted speed limit and sixth if there is a reduction of lanes (a.k.a. much increased chance of traffic jams).

I've already found out that I won't be able to set any records on the way to the meet...

I'm planning to use the A61 to Altenahr. Seems the better alternative to me. Anybody who knows the area having any objections?

There's one caveat to that sign, it only means derestricted on roads that have a barrier in the middle between the two directions or at least two lanes per direction. On anything else it means 100km/h.

Well i was talking about autobahns only. Unless you're not on an autobahn you're better off sticking to the limit or 100kph if you can't see one.

And indeed, most of my trip to the ring (A4 + A61) is without speedlimits. But I knew that all along.

i'll be sticking to the backroads, speedlimits all the way but autobahn simply is no fun in my car... *cough*
lots of fun wiggling through the eifel :)

Would? Pussy! Make time for it and decide to attend ffs!

I *WILL* be going: Home -> A8 -> A5 -> A3 -> Frankfurt Airport -> A3 -> A48 -> A61 -> B257. Although I had thoughts about going A61 -> B412 -> Adenau -> B257, just to give my nordic passengers a sneak preview at ring and Eifel :D.

-edit-

I'm afraid we might have started some sort of post-your-trip-battle. And soon the people from far away will start posting. I expect Ice to be the first one of those :mrgreen:.

Well, the usual A 44 - A 43 - A 1 - A 3 - A 59 - A 565 - B 257 for me. Probably. Going past Cologne is shit anyway, doesn't matter if you choose the Eastern or the Western Cologne Ring. So, I'll listen to the traffic news and decide 300 m before AK Leverkusen. :D

I hope to meet up with at least one other participant on the way.

Last edited:
I hope to meet up with at least one other participant on the way.

When are you planning on arriving? I will start here on the coast on Friday at about 6 or 7 am.

I'm afraid we might have started some sort of post-your-trip-battle. And soon the people from far away will start posting. I expect Ice to be the first one of those :mrgreen:.

Can't have that. I'll be going down the A14, the M11 and the M25 to Kent. Fucked if I know where we're going from there. :p

When are you planning on arriving? I will start here on the coast on Friday at about 6 or 7 am.
Sometime around noon on Friday, so later than you, I think. But perhaps I/we go earlier anyway, the planning has not been finished.

If you plan to fly formation with me/us, be warned, the plan is to form a convoy with the Doctor and his Kadett. So we won't be going at your usual speed. :D

Sometime around noon on Friday, so later than you, I think. But perhaps I/we go earlier anyway, the planning has not been finished.

If you plan to fly formation with me/us, be warned, the plan is to form a convoy with the Doctor and his Kadett. So we won't be going at your usual speed. :D

Meh, tow rope him up and floor it, what can go wrong. :p

Radar-guided cruise control ftw.

If we go in formation, though, we should do it Top Gear style. Anyone got any walkie-talkies?

Last edited:
Anyone got any walkie-talkies?
Unfortunately I don't have them. I've considered to get some a few times, but with everyone having a mobile phone, it's way cheaper just to use those. No broadcast though, that's a downside when travelling in groups larger than two cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.