iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

It's supposed to be fixed by tomorrow according to Eric Hudec of iRacing.

Me (HPD) and Shentar (Ford)

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lo/loz/2011/07/30/iRacingSim_2011-07-30_19-20-57-44_copy.jpg​

Show the nice people the next picture when you hit me from behind and I spun into the wall :)

After two days of good driving and testing the HPD, I've concluded that it is boring and frustrating. It's just not engaging me at all. Almost zero feel, and it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement on the old tire model at all.

Of the NTM road cars, I'd say the Ford is the most fun. But I really don't want to have to contend with 2 faster classes passing me all the time and I don't feel like the fun-ness outweighs that. It may be the best example of the new tire model but it's still flawed and relatively unengaging. I predict that the LMS series is going to be chaos due to the Ford's inability to corner at high speed.

So I don't know what I'm doing this season. Maybe Vette again. Maybe I'll just do the Skippy. Or maybe even the Radical.

Last edited:
My first impressions.

Suzuka is highly disappointing for me. It is an amazingly fun and technical track, and is probably my most driven track in all of sim racing (due to Gran Turismo). But iRacing's suzuka kills my computer for some reason. Most tracks are silky smooth, not a single stutter. Occasionally Spa slows down. All of Suzuka is slow.

The HPD is a car I would enjoy driving more. Dodging around Fords just in practice is quite fun, and the car is just a downright rocket. But as said many times, there is no feedback whatsoever from it. I'll go going along happy, start braking, then BAM I've spun. Doesn't seem to matter what exactly you are doing when you lock the wheels up, it just immediately spins with no hope of recovery. 1st gear is real annoying too. There seems to be no torque at all until the top of the RPM when it shoots immediately to peak. Not sure how you are supposed to get a good start in this car.

I haven't spent much time with the Ford, but it seems like it will be fun after getting used to it. Having to slow down so much for the corners, though, is a bit disappointing.

I never drove the Skippy before the NTM so I can't really comment on it at all.

In the end, I won't be able to comment on the NTM until the Star Mazda is updated. I think that is where we will see how much of a difference is made, and it is certainly the car I am most comfortable with outside of the rookies.

To me, the braking is the really annoying part of the NTM. Before I could pretty much brake to the max of the red bar without locking up and just reduce it as needed. But not, even half way up the red bar, I get lockups. It's just a pain in the arse. Tried the LMP yesterday and wtf is with the power steering. I adjusted it and it all felt like shit.

The real car has traction control too. So thats probably why people are struggling with 1st gear.

Am about to test yee old skippy!

Edit: Well after testing, I think it fails more. Understeer galore. Any oversteer that you dont catch instantly is a spin. I'm over 2 seconds a lap slower then my PB at Road Atlanta (1.37.2) and the temp on the tires is weird. The outside of every tire is about 10c lower then center and inner. WTF? Does that mean that only 2/3rds of my tire is on the road? This also happens on Ford GT and LMP I believe.

This may have killed iRacing for me.

Last edited:
Am about to test yee old skippy!

Edit: Well after testing, I think it fails more. Understeer galore. Any oversteer that you dont catch instantly is a spin.

That's how the real one is. :p You really have to be on top of it. The only thing the iRacing version has which is wrong, is the incredibly sharp snap back from sliding, and a general lack of feeling, which is a complaint I have for all of iRacing.

Did some more practicing with the Ford. I think I may run it. Idiot Lump drivers dive-bombing me is going to be an issue, but I've got a good enough handle on the setup now that I'm really starting to like the car. This is a 2:23.1 lap at Spa I'm kinda proud of. Woulda gone faster if I had a good entrance to Campus but, alas, Lumps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bytntqcdcft8hja

Protip: if the diff is giving you trouble, put 4 clutch plates in. Makes the locking transition much smoother and makes the diff steer effect much more predictable. The key to driving it is to keep that diff loaded on the acceleration side. The car works wonderfully in slow speed corners as it's accelerating. And dive in really hard on the brakes in high speed corners in order to get that splitter as low as possible to the ground for more downforce.

It is sometimes unfortunate how strict SR and incidents can be. Just a short while ago I was doing a Miata race to (hopefully) get some SR boost, unfortunately I found myself in a very fun battle for position. My opponent and I made contact a couple of times, resulting in no damage, spins, or anything, yet each one was a 4x contact. He eventually took the position (though through a questionable corner cut) but I gave it deservingly, but then the next car behind him made a stupid move to my inside just to give me one last 4x. So a friendly race that, for incidents involving myself that resulted in no damage or loss of race position, I lost .19 SR. I think it would do to relax SR hits in certain series, or make a BTCC series.

I'll attempt to post that battle later. It really was quite fun. The same race also featured a fun and hectic first corner that did me well.

I think it would do to relax SR hits in certain series, or make a BTCC series.

I'll attempt to post that battle later. It really was quite fun. The same race also featured a fun and hectic first corner that did me well.

I have to say that's one of the things that unnerved me the most when I was racing... it's like you have a better result driving a clean race from last to last, than a bumpy race from last to first.
However it works for a ton of people so obviously the problem was with me :p don't think it needs much tweaking

I swear I want to quit this game sometimes. I have NEVER done an MX5 race and not been spun out. Ever. I just want to race, not do a hot lap session and have it called a race. I just want to practice race craft, but you can't do that while running alone. Then you get bitched at because people thing that just because I have a blue flag, that I should just pull over and slow up so people can pass. I'm not going to slow up, so if you can get by, fine, but just because I got spun out doesn't mean I'm not faster than you. If you get close, fine, I'll go offline and lift to let you by, but I'm not going to roll over. By most people's logic, if you get a lap down, you are a horrible racer, have no idea what you are doing, and should just park it. It just really pisses me off. Sorry for the rant. I just want to race, not have open track days.

I swear I want to quit this game sometimes. I have NEVER done an MX5 race and not been spun out. Ever. I just want to race, not do a hot lap session and have it called a race. I just want to practice race craft, but you can't do that while running alone. Then you get bitched at because people thing that just because I have a blue flag, that I should just pull over and slow up so people can pass. I'm not going to slow up, so if you can get by, fine, but just because I got spun out doesn't mean I'm not faster than you. If you get close, fine, I'll go offline and lift to let you by, but I'm not going to roll over. By most people's logic, if you get a lap down, you are a horrible racer, have no idea what you are doing, and should just park it. It just really pisses me off. Sorry for the rant. I just want to race, not have open track days.

I spent a bit of time lapping people yesterday, and I think the one's that just get out the way are harder to predict, normally because they leave a half-car width on the corner apex, then cut across your nose to get out the way as you've just lined them up. I'ld much prefer people to take their normal line, and brake a bit earlier for the next corner to let the leader buy. Less time loss for all involved

I spent a bit of time lapping people yesterday, and I think the one's that just get out the way are harder to predict, normally because they leave a half-car width on the corner apex, then cut across your nose to get out the way as you've just lined them up. I'ld much prefer people to take their normal line, and brake a bit earlier for the next corner to let the leader buy. Less time loss for all involved

Thats what I think. Everything I've read and been taught says to hold your line and let them pass you. Its always the responsibility of the passing car to make the pass safely. That is regardless of the position of the two cars. I just don't get the "well you are a lap down, you race is over so just quit" attitude that people seem to have.

So I'm going to focus on race craft. To hell with running for a championship. I still really like the SRF, and I may run it some. What series would help me with racecraft? I would assume a series with good participation numbers and good cars that will allow you to make maneuvers. I thought about the Grand Touring Cup (MX5 and Jetta), or the Skippy series. I bought the GT and Acura car, but I see that as ending up like the Grand Am series. The DPs just overrun the smaller cars without any consideration. They just cut you off and try to go around you on the outside of turns and expect you to be able to stop when they cut over in front of you shortening the distance you have to stop. And then its your fault that you hit them.

I find grid position makes a big difference in the MX5 races. When I've started from or near pole I've typically had very clean races except for when I've made self errors, or when the slower car in front tries to block the door at every passing attempt (People have literally run me off the track before lol). That's not to say it's always bad further down the pack, I've had clean wins from 11th and 7th recently when I didn't bother qualifying, but on average I tend to run into far more idiots back there. I think it may just be the nature of the series, it's a rookie car and you have to expect more bad drivers with no patience than usual.

I do understand your frustration though, it sounds like my race at Okayama the other day. A guy with a D class license and 2400 irating ran into the back of me down the straight, then trailed my car by inches into the braking zone. Being totalled due to reckless behaviour is bad enough, losing 0.28 SR in one race is worse.

High split racing is key. Your fast enough to be up there. When I was racing grand am a few seasons ago, always in top splits, I always had clean races. Even if it meant getting blocked for a few corners by stangs or being held up by other DP's, most drivers were always fair enough to me.

I've been finding in these new practice sessions, no one willing to give room. But I now have a setup for the GT that has changed the car for me. Can do 2.04's ish at Suzuka when I'm in offline mode. Haven't tried it on a practice server recently though.