UFC/Strikeforce/MMA 2011

So Nick Diaz is getting a shot at GSP for... I can't figure out exactly what he's done to actually earn it. I will say that he's going to learn that his pitter pat punches and constant taunting don't work when you're fighting the best in the world vs someone hovering around 25th.
Well, being a Strikeforce WW champ has got to count for something. Diaz has been considered one of the WWs outside the UFC who is actually any good. Also fans have been going on for years about this fight. Besides who else is GSP gonna fight? Rick Story? There isn't really anyone else at WW that deserves the shot either at the moment, thus Diaz is the best guy that GSP hasn't beaten yet.

That said I think Shields is better than Diaz and GSP already disposed of him. So I don't see Diaz winning this one.

I must say I was not very impressed by the matches tonight, or maybe disappointed is a better choice.

Griggs, good job on another victory, but you beat a guy who's BARELY batting 500, now lets see how you do against someone like Mike Russow.
Noons, you I had hopes for you tonight and you let me down.
Barnett, you could have finished that match at any time once it hit the ground, the only person who looked more lost on the ground was Kimbo. Also, pass a blood test in a state with a real athletic commission before you talk about making it to the finals or winning any championship.
Overeem/Werdum... congratulations, you both made each other look totally ineffective at what they do best. If this went 5 rounds I believe Overeem would have eventually gotten the KO, but who would want to see another two rounds of butt flopping?

GOD DAMN IT BARRY!

3.gif

Several hours later...

At least he has a sense of humor about it. "Where did Cheick hit Barry exactly?"

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2011/06/27/x2_6d4727d.png

Last edited:
My picks for 132.

Cruz. I have nothing against Faber but I just don't see him winning this, he's still a hell of a talent but I think the game has just passed him by.
Silva/Leben. Wandy hasn't been the same since Pride went under and Chris is tough as nails, either Silva will manage to stay awake and take it on the cars or Leben is putting him to sleep by round 2.
Bader/Ortiz. Everything says Bader should take this one easily, but for some reason my gut says the MMA gods are going to pull another cruel joke on everyone. I almost want to see Tito put a couple wins together and challenge Jon Jones for the title just so everyone can see him waddle out of the cage with his medicen ball sized head shoved up his ass and both arms torn off. I'm still picking Bader though.
Condit. I love anyone who's handed a Diaz brother a loss, but Kim isn't keeping his undefeated record at the end of this.

So I'd hate to Rashad Evans right now. He holds out for his title shot and loses it to Jones, then loses his title shot at Jones, then Davis pulls out, Machida steps in then steps right back out again, and now he's fighting Tito for the second time. I'll bet he wishes he had just taken a fight with someone last fall.

Wouldn't it be hilarious though if Tito were to beat him, I mean he goes 5 years without a win then defeats two top ten 205lb'ers in a row.

Like with my 132 predictions, on paper Evans should hand Tito his ass just like Bader should have, but the MMA Gods had other plans. For some reason my gut tells me they're not done screwing around with us just yet and he's going to somehow pull off another victory. Honestly, I wasn't really looking forward to the fight with Davis, he's a hell of a talent but taking on Rashad right now is way too much way too soon. I wanted to see him rematch Lyoto instead of Tito because he's actually still relevant in the division and to see he could keep from making the same mistakes he did the first time around. No matter who wins, they'll have a great storyline heading into a title fight with Jones, either an epic grudge match or "can Tito really reclaim the tile?".

Tonight is a good night, I got all my picks right, Tate and her nice booty won, and Fedor face planted. :D

il04CG.gif

Last edited:
As I said following his win over Calvacante, Hendo is the man.

He is gonna considered the GOAT when he retires.

I made a short visit to Sherdog this morning, and my oh my is it sweet to be drinking the tears of Fedor fans for a third time in just over a year, they just can't believe something like this could happen again.

Hi guys!Good to see some MMA fans here:)
Daley disappointed me once again.He's just so one dimensional.Yes he has good TDD,and he's not awful on the ground,but still if he gets taken down i always got feeling it's all over for him via decision.
Can't believe how easily Tate submited Coenen.That pass from side to side,looked like Coenen didn't defend it at all.
And poor Fedor,loosing 3 in a row.I almost feel sorry for the guy:DWhat you guys think,will he retire and should he?

Last edited:
Fedor should either retire or get the hell away from whoever he's been training with all these years. I know he said he changed things up with this last camp, but I got the impression it was just for show and didn't really do anything different, the results speak for themselves. However, I don't think M1 will let their meal ticket go so easily. I can't see Zuffa going along with all the crazy demands they've made (and gotten) in the past and I'll bet M1 still thinks they're in a position of power despite Fedor losing 3 times in a row now. If he does resign with Strikeforce or the UFC then it will be for far less money and none of this co-promotion bullshit. If he keeps fighting outside of the Zuffa empire then he will just crush cans in Dream or M1 while his handlers continue to claim he's the best of all time.

I expect Henderson to go back the UFC, he won't be getting the 800k per fight he was with his Strikeforce contract, but I could see him getting 500k plus a cut of the PPV.

Daley is Daley. He's a decent striker who thinks he's far better than he really is (just like Diaz) and who can't deal with wrestlers to save his life (also just like Diaz).

The Tate submission was impressive, and you could see how pissed off Coenen was when Tate got her hand raised. I just wish there were a lot more talented female fighters out there.

Kennedy needs to shut the fuck up about the loss to Jacare, no one besides him thinks he won that fight.

So Fedor won't be fighting for any Zuffa promotion now, but he's still got a contract with with Showtime and their M1 show. I expect that is where he'll show up next taking on some undersized can so he can get back in the win column.

So,UFC 133 coming up...some good fights there.I think Rashad will take it,don't see Tito pulling off another upset.That one win over Bader doesn't mean Titos is back!But it would be really intresting if Tito would beat Rashad.
Really looking forward to Belfort vs Akiyama fight.I just wonder what will happen to Akiyama if he lose again..3rd loss in a row,will he get cut?His record is 1-2 in the UFC,but his last 3 fights has won FOTN.This is a hard one,but im choosing Belfort on this one.I think his striking will be too much for Akiyama.
MacDonald vs Pyle..I liked MacDonalds last fight and how he manhandled Diaz.MacDonald FTW! He's talanted up-and-comer and i think he will pull this off.

My picks for 133.

Evans. Just like I said last month, Ortiz should by all rights get his ass kicked but I just can't shake this feeling we're in for another joke from the mma gods, I'm still going with Evans though.
Vitor. Sexymamma is the perfect example of failing upwards, he's nowhere near a UFC level fighter who keeps getting his ass kicked yet somehow gets higher and higher spots on events with better competition. Like with the british fighters, I think they'll keep him around even after this loss because the UFC is dead set on japan and needs hometown fighters to fill things out.
Riviera. I don't know if he's going to win, but I'm picking him anyway because anyone who makes music videos calling Bisping a dickhead is cool in my book.
Rory. I could watch Rory suplex Diaz all day long and never get bored, Pyle has an edge in experience but Rory is the future. I don't know if Rory will become a Jon Jones of the WW's, but it's a good possibility especially considering GSP has taken him under his wing now.
Hamill. From a PPV main event to the Spike prelims in just over 2 months. He'll never be a title contender but he's a solid gatekeeper, his loss to Jackson showed either he's tough as nails or Jackson has really really lost his edge (I think it's the latter).

I think Evans will take it quite easily.Win over Bader doesn't mean anything and i don't think Tito is back after only one win.I just hope it doesn't turn out to be another boring decision.But definitely it would be intresting,if Tito would pull another upset.
Belfort's striking will be too much for Akiyama.And i think Akiyama will choose to stand with him.Akiyamas record in UFC is 1-2,but he has won FOTN in his all 3 fights.And i agree,i think they will keep him around.Although 3rd loss in a row...Who would he fight next if he loses?
And i choose Rory over Pyle.I really liked how Rory manhandled Diaz:DMacDonald is talanted up-and-comer and i expect him to win this!

Gustafsson really surprised me tonight, good on him for doing what Rampage couldn't, but I don't think he'll ever amount to anything more than a high level gatekeeper.
I missed the finish to the Mcdonald/Pyle fight, but it was a rather impressive beating from what I've read.
I was glad to see Vitor get a KO of the night bonus, but I wouldn't say "he's back". His shot at Silva was an undeserved gift, so lets see him put more wins together over people who aren't true WW's before someone mentions another crack at Silva.
Rashad looked damn good tonight, not a hint of ring rust and he looked more ripped than ever. I can't say if his new training camp is the start of something special, at least not with a victory of Ortiz, I wish this had been against Lyoto so we really know where he currently stands. If I was Rampage right now, I'd be scared, if I was Jones right now, I'd be nervous.

Nice,my original post showed up,finally!-.-
MacDonald's fight went just as i thought it would.And when he felt Pyle is hurt,he was all over him,throwing hard punches.He really hits hard on the ground.
Co-main event disappointed me a bit.There wasn't much going on untill Belfort connected.Was hoping for a bit more action.And Belfort shouting"i'm back",dunno,i'd like to see him win few more fights.So,Akiyama's 3rd loss in a row.He fails upwards,as Bass said.So now he gets a title shot?:pBut seriously,i don't know,i think he should get cut,but probably they will keep him around for a bit.

I didn't have much interest in the card tonight, but I did catch most of the main bouts.

Nice TKO by the cowboy, but I don't see him ever getting above mid level at best.
I thought Miller was going to steamroll Benderson, and boy was I wrong, I think if Miller wasn't so dead set on getting a submission the outcome would have been different. I'm not sure what do with either fighter right now, Miller needs to get back on the winning track and Benderson just took a number in the logjam that is the title picture. Maybe give Henderson the loser of Maynard/Edgar III (assuming a 4th fight isn't needed) to see if he's really ready for a title shot and give Clay Guida to Miller. And while these two didn't officially get the FOTN bonus, I sure hope Dana still gave them a locker room bonus.

While the main event was fun to watch, it wasn't worthy of FOTN, but I'm not at all upset about it because this was Lytle's last match and god damn it he should go out on a high note. He will be missed, but I'm glad to see he's able to walk away on his own terms with two bonus checks and all of his mind/body intact. As for Hardy, after 4 embarrassing losses in a row he's still keeping his job, and I'd really like to know why. This fight showcased once again just how limited his skills are and that he has some of the worst fight IQ I've ever seen. I can only guess they'll dig up some can with a glass jaw for him to knock around on the next UK show since apparently he's that important to their plans over there.