The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Still got the Zuma right? Use that as your commuter and the H1 as the weekend warrior.

True, it's just hard at this point to even do any rides on it because of how high the running costs are. I consider that "Having a bike this awesome has a price", but it's hard to justify when I can get a bike that gets 50mpg or better and go on some serious rides. But, for the other reasons I mentioned, it's still a tough call...

This is an unusual idea to keep cool on a bike. Albeit a very unsafe, and stupid one.

Slightly NSFW

Not that unusual. People routinely wear even less...

... in the San Francisco Gay Pride Bike Parades. :p

No, I will not be posting pictures.

I don't get that. You ride a motorcycle and you want to have a parade showing that you are proud to be gay, fine, go for it, we've had bike parades for worse reasons. Then you basically tell the whole world that most gay bikers are complete and utter idiots by running the parade route essentially or actually naked. How does this help the gay cause?

"We're here! We're queer! We're morons!" is the message that sends. Who thought this was a good idea? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Heh, I hadn't seen that before.

But really, I'd like an answer. We have enough problems with un-geared people making riders look like idiots, so WTH guys?

I know that Santa Cruz has a naked ride every year. The last time I saw the invitation it said something along the lines of "If you can't keep your bike upright for a short cruise through town in a parade then you shouldn't be riding in the first place."

Kind of has a point.

Last edited:
So, looking at the classifieds I've more or less decided it's worth spending approximately $3000 to get a much newer bike. Looking at these prices they really hold their value, so I won't be losing much by spending a little extra.

Anyway, first thing's first, I have to go book a motorcycle training day thing with the RTA, which I need to do to get my learner's permit. Good thing is they supply the bike and all the gear. And it's only $80 for two days. Not bad at all.

Don't get something newer or more expensive unless you have no choice. You WILL drop, crash or otherwise have the thing hit the ground in an uncontrolled manner in the first six months. Older bikes are sturdier and cheaper to repair.

Don't get something newer or more expensive unless you have no choice. You WILL drop, crash or otherwise have the thing hit the ground in an uncontrolled manner in the first six months. Older bikes are sturdier and cheaper to repair.
The problem is finding something older and cheaper. There is hardly anything out there for less than $3000. The older bikes are only slightly cheaper, maybe by $1000 if you're VERY lucky. Of course, if I can find one cheaper I would prefer that, having an older bike doesn't concern me. The problem is more that it's incredibly hard to find something like that. It's pretty much a matter of a couple of hundred dollars between having a bike from 1986 and one from 2006.

So, looking at the classifieds I've more or less decided it's worth spending approximately $3000 to get a much newer bike. Looking at these prices they really hold their value, so I won't be losing much by spending a little extra. Anyway, first thing's first, I have to go book a motorcycle training day thing with the RTA, which I need to do to get my learner's permit. Good thing is they supply the bike and all the gear. And it's only $80 for two days. Not bad at all.
For that price in the US you can get a clean 5th gen VFR.

My honda that i ride all over. Even on the 20mile comute to work. I like the scooter but i love my c70. Used to have one years ago. Im a bit of a moped and small bike guy
Although I did ride a 88 xr600r to work daily for about a year. Drove a beater subaru in the winter. I miss the xr BAD, Dam thing wanted to break my leg LOL.
6001478771_cea2737c16_z.jpg

6002026958_e1e762913f_z.jpg

6002027150_9b1f1d16b2_b.jpg

Did have a faygo sticker, Peeled it off and put it on the little truck.

Last edited:
I've also made a new signature. It has not caught fire or broken down...yet. :p

Nice! :lol:

How's your bike situation looking these days?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...0&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=33&__sid=131873F7CAFF

83 CM250 for $1500AUS. You can probably talk him into throwing in the other CM250 for that price, then sell parts off it to get down to a net price of $1000.

Sadly, Australians do not appear to have discovered the joys of Craigslist.

That is very tempting. But anyway, first thing's first, I have to go to this training day, which may not be until next month (or later) thanks to the amount of crap I've got going on at the moment. Assuming I'm not a complete moron and fail spectacularly at riding (which is completely possible), then I shall start getting serious about buying something.

I have taken the S.S. Goldwing for its maiden voyage around my apartment complex parking lot.

Some observations
-70s brakes suck, I will be contacting this outfit once I get some more money. http://www.fishheadbigbrakes.com/
-The flat 4 makes an epic howl under power
-The weight really vanishes once you start moving
-I have never in my life been on a smoother motorcycle

And the obligatory pic after the momentous occasion.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/08/03/IMG_0335.JPG

I have taken the S.S. Goldwing for its maiden voyage around my apartment complex parking lot.

Some observations
-70s brakes suck, I will be contacting this outfit once I get some more money. http://www.fishheadbigbrakes.com/
-The flat 4 makes an epic howl under power
-The weight really vanishes once you start moving
-I have never in my life been on a smoother motorcycle

Congrats on getting the GL moving, CJ! You plan on getting some SS brake lines to go with the fishheads? How are the ergos on that bike compared to the VF500, and the cb750?

Just in case you didn't catch this down in the Random Thoughts (general) thread:

a6cd88c3-dba0-d58b.jpg