Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I can also arrange for the ownership of a 1992 BMW 750iL for any true believers in the invincibility of German engineering.

The guy who bought mine is desperately trying to sell it and has asked if I would like to buy the thing back... $27000 worth of repairs and maintenance later...

Best part of all, despite using BMW official parts and both dealer and independent service, when something breaks it won't stay fixed.

I do hope the 740i is better. ahem, not that I'm always on the lookout for german imposomobiles no that'd be slly.

98_bmw_740il_sedan.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Just bought an 07 Focus ZX5 for the GF. So glad I never have to deal with her POS 99 Cavalier again. They had more into repairs on the pile than it was worth, and it still wouldn't start without pushing the gas down, and was eating turn signal fuses, along with water.

Bah, just stick with a W126.

Hmmm

http://img706.imageshack.**/img706/483/mercedesbenzsclassw1261.jpg

http://img856.imageshack.**/img856/5701/bmw740i20001024x768wall.jpg

Why don't you make me choose between my arms!

Daammmn, that is TERRIBLE.

No, it's what you get when the Germans say, "We are going to make a maintenance-free V12 sedan" - an utter nightmare known as the E32.

No kidding, BMW actually claimed the V12 was maintenance free and they weren't talking about a prepaid service plan either.

I used to think that German engineering was in fact pretty good over all. Then I owned an E32 and found out that German engineers screw up by the numbers at least as badly as everyone else on the planet. The post-W201 Mercedes designs didn't exactly help my opinion. When I first got to fire an H&K VP70 pistol I knew for certain that any German societal engineering superiority was illusory at best - that thing was a huge badly designed pile of crap. No wonder the British were able to buy H&K! (The German kitchen appliances failing on my friends contributed to this opinion as well.)

They're really no better (or worse) at engineering than anyone else on average.

Last edited:
There is a local guy with a CRX that I see at a lot of car shows/meets. It says "daily driven." It's a Honda CRX, it was meant to be daily driven. I hate dumb stickers.

I can one up that.

We had a local car show every Thursday called Crusin at the Mansion. Its always filled with 60s and 70s American Muscle, but every week, this guy brings his 2005 [completely stock] Toyota Camry, and parks it on the show grounds. Last week he was parked between 2 Hemi Challengers (a new one and an old one). He also sets up a binder filled with photos and descriptions of how its his "daily driver". He even puts out trophies infront of it. Oh, and he pops to hood to show off that mighty VVT-i V6 while he himself constantly walks around it wiping off dust here and there.

I really don't understand what is going on there. Its a Toyota Camry. Its supposed to be daily driven. I see 100s of them everywhere I go.

EDIT: Found pictures here (pre-trophies and binder of photos): http://forums.finalgear.com/vehicle...e-mansion-05-13-10-ma-finalgear-meetup-43894/

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/05/14/DSC_0131_(Copy).JPG
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/05/14/DSC_0132_(Copy).JPG
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/05/14/DSC_0133_(Copy).JPG

Last edited:
I would have to imagine it's a joke. And a pretty funny one at that. I love the idea of turning up to a classic car show with a bog standard late model car and putting it on display.

I would have to imagine it's a joke. And a pretty funny one at that. I love the idea of turning up to a classic car show with a bog standard late model car and putting it on display.

Thats what I thought at first. But seeing the way the guy interacted with people who came up to him made me think otherwise. He genuinely seems to think its a show worthy car. Also, every Thursday for multiple summers in a row... even it it were a joke, it gotten old and stale a long time ago.

If I go to the show this Thursday, I'll ask.

Last edited:
I've been reading up on the the new US Fiat 500's. Their price is really tempting, however I'm not too sure that 100hp will be enough (especially at 5000ft). However, this caught my attention:
Key differences include increased body strength; suspension reworked for the U.S. market; over 20 specific hardware changes for reduced noise, vibration and harshness; BiHalogen projector headlamps and amber front and red rear sidemarker lights and reflectors on each wheel arch edge to comply with FMVSS 108; new four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system with new front calipers for better brake performance; larger 10.5 US gal (40 L; 9 imp gal) fuel tank; upgraded heating and cooling system; new front seats with a new armrest and seat cushion for improved comfort; easier entry system designed into the new front seats; new steering wheel controls and revised steering and new BOSE audio system.

What do they mean "reworked suspension"? Worse than the Euro version? I'll have to test drive one to see what it's like.

Wow, I only just realised the 500 here has a 35L fuel tank. My car isn't much bigger and has a 50L fuel tank. I know it doesn't use much fuel but you still must be filling up far too often with that.

Also, I just noticed they only sell the 1.4 Sport here now. Back in 2008 you could have 3 engine choices (1.2 petrol, 1.4 petrol and 1.3 diesel) and 3 different trims (Pop, Sport and Lounge). Now you have one engine and the choice between hatch or convertible, and one special edition. And it's more expensive despite the stronger AUD. Good work Fiat.

I was amazed on how much less power my car feels like it has at this altitude. My car used to be peppy enough to be fun. I guess that was 150k miles ago and a mile closer to sea level.

I've been reading up on the the new US Fiat 500's. Their price is really tempting, however I'm not too sure that 100hp will be enough (especially at 5000ft). However, this caught my attention:

What do they mean "reworked suspension"? Worse than the Euro version? I'll have to test drive one to see what it's like.

Hope they bring over a turbo some day?

Reworked probably means softer.

No, it's what you get when the Germans say, "We are going to make a maintenance-free V12 sedan" - an utter nightmare known as the E32.

No kidding, BMW actually claimed the V12 was maintenance free and they weren't talking about a prepaid service plan either.

I used to think that German engineering was in fact pretty good over all. Then I owned an E32 and found out that German engineers screw up by the numbers at least as badly as everyone else on the planet. The post-W201 Mercedes designs didn't exactly help my opinion. When I first got to fire an H&K VP70 pistol I knew for certain that any German societal engineering superiority was illusory at best - that thing was a huge badly designed pile of crap. No wonder the British were able to buy H&K! (The German kitchen appliances failing on my friends contributed to this opinion as well.)

They're really no better (or worse) at engineering than anyone else on average.
Well clearly you missed the point entirely.... You buy the car, you drive it till it breaks, you buy another one. See no maintenance performed at all :)
I was amazed on how much less power my car feels like it has at this altitude. My car used to be peppy enough to be fun. I guess that was 150k miles ago and a mile closer to sea level.
Yep elevation makes a pretty big difference, turbo cars are somewhat less prone but still noticeable.

So now that the Abarth 500 is coming to the US sometime next year, I am definitely ridding myself of the WRX for it when the time comes. I'm mucho excited.