Americanisms

Drawl is still intelligible to speakers of standard English.

Cockney rhyming slang is just unintelligible without a local guide, a set of reference volumes, and perhaps some sort of Rosetta Stone to serve as a visual translation guide would help.

Exactly, that is the point.

The alleged origin of the rhyming slang is when various nefarious cockney characters, would meet in pubs to plan criminal activities.

The coded language was supposed to be not understandable to any policeman listening.

That's what they say, but I think its a load of pony, me'self.

:tease:

Yes. When I am wrong. Which at this time, I'm not.

I usually don't post unless I know or believe I'm right on a subject.
Remind me never to have him round to dinner!

No offence, but seriously, do you ever admit to being wrong?

You are fairly new here, but you should know that unless you have concrete proof that Spectre is wrong, or are looking forward to a prolong arguement, don't even bother because he won't quit until his fingers bleed.

You are fairly new here, but you should know that unless you have concrete proof that Spectre is wrong, or are looking forward to a prolong arguement, don't even bother because he won't quit until his fingers bleed.

On the way this thread has progressed so far, as I was getting around to that train of thinking anyway. :p

As opposed to "Mir-uh"? At least we pronounce the terminal R properly. Which Brits mostly don't seem to be able to do, or else add terminal Rs to words that don't have them. (The infamous British "Honder".) Or even throw random Rs into the middle of a word for no apparent reason. :rolleyes: I mean, seriously, how the hell do you get "Purr-joe" from Peugeot? THERE ISN'T AN R IN PEUGEOT! :p

You guys don't pronounce 'vehicle' properly either. If you want to go back to the original French, it's (essentially) veh-cule. Do you pronounce it 'veckle'? If not, you can shut up about that now.
It supposed to be Pwu-joe anyway, following French pronunciation.

Fuck, Spectre, why do you have to turn a light hearted thread about the funny little differences in lingo into a crusade against some strange percieved anti-americanism? No, no, that's not right, you're just being an asshole, fuck everything that's not american. Do everyone a favour and secede from this thread.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2011/08/05/Untitled-1.jpg

The engine is the head of the car.

People don't regard the head of a turtle as being the top of its shell, just because it is higher up than it's skull.

Personally I'd like to think that the engine is the head, 'cause if a car didn't have an engine in it you wouldn't be able to make it MOVE. If you didn't have a head well... you wouldn't move either. :/ The roof of a car is it's bloody hat. When I see folk walking about wi' sunroof skulls I'll believe otherwise.

Fuck, Spectre, why do you have to turn a light hearted thread about the funny little differences in lingo into a crusade against some strange percieved anti-americanism? No, no, that's not right, you're just being an asshole, fuck everything that's not american. Do everyone a favour and secede from this thread.

Thanks, you just gave me a reason to participate more!

Don't be silly... Spectre rants against most of America as well! :p

I personally find it quite amusing he seems to be in the belief that the majority of British people accept and speak in cockney rhyming slang, when in reality outside of a few elderly Londoners nobody does.

Not according to my limited French and Wikipedia: [p???o]. The "eu" sound doesn't quite exist in English but it definitely isn't "wu."
Whatever, sounds better than poo-joe. Maybe not pwu but Pwa. I've had an actual frenchy tell me how to pronounce it.

Don't be silly... Spectre rants against most of America as well! :p

I personally find it quite amusing he seems to be in the belief that the majority of British people accept and speak in cockney rhyming slang, when in reality outside of a few elderly Londoners nobody does.

Yeah, I fin' spectre's just tellin' porkies. 'e doesn't 'eaven and 'ell adam 'n eve people Rabbit and Pork loike that, 'e's just 'avin' fan.

Well said. My thoughts entirely.

Reactions: Jay
its not spectre's fault, he is a Texan, they all think they are some kind of god and they all think that Texas is some awesome holy land with grass made of chuck norris and the sky made of cowboys. Its just the way they are so you just have to learn to ignore them, texas isnt all that special. there are a bunch of statistics you can point out to a texan that will usually end a conversation dead in its tracks. Texans dont have a "drawl" quite like the REAL south does but yes, as was said before, the southern drawl' is much easier to understand than most brit accents IMO.

With 16k posts, you really must be a staggering genius. What do you do again, JPL astrophysics researcher, Nobel Laureate in Economics?

So, what are you saying? are you stating that because he has 16k posts that he must be unemployed or what? i just dont see where post count plays into this thread. please, explain your intentions

So, what are you saying? are you stating that because he has 16k posts that he must be unemployed or what? i just dont see where post count plays into this thread. please, explain your intentions

He said he post's when he's right, with 16k post he must be right a hell of a lot of the time. QED he must be a genius, can I get an AMEN!

Surgeons in the UK used to only be called Miss/Mr dating back to the time when they were butchers or blacksmiths, not trained medical professionals. Now it has changed due to US influence and "Doctor" has wider use within Surgery.

It's not the surgeons that are addressed as Mr but Consultants. Surgeries are performed by doctors who aren't consultants and not all consultants are surgical ones. And the term is still used.

No offence, but seriously, do you ever admit to being wrong?

I would seriously think about upgrading my life insurance right now if I were you! :D

With 16k posts, you really must be a staggering genius. What do you do again, JPL astrophysics researcher, Nobel Laureate in Economics?

RJ for someone of your intelligence you can be a staggering sarcastic jerk sometimes. You know damn well that Spectre doesn't just post arguments for the sake of it and you've been around here long enough to know that if you are going to stride into battle with him you had damn well make sure you are well armed because he certainly will be.

Exactly, that is the point.

The alleged origin of the rhyming slang is when various nefarious cockney characters, would meet in pubs to plan criminal activities.

The coded language was supposed to be not understandable to any policeman listening.

That's what they say, but I think its a load of pony, me'self.

:tease:

Indeed. Since most of the Police are now familiar with it these days it is no longer a criminal code and now much more an affectation of younger males trying to portray themselves as geezers and a bit tasty. It is also evolving and changing as languages tend to do.

There was also the slang known as Polari (various spellings) which developed in the early to mid 20th century as a way for homosexual men to communicate without drawing police attention since sodomy was illegal. It evolved from fairground talk and went on to contain Romany, London slang, backslang, rhyming slang, sailor slang, and thieves' cant.

I don't believe he is doing that at all and even if he were that hardly justifies profanity or name calling.

its not spectre's fault, he is a Texan....

No, he isn't. While his posts might conjure up an image of a rangey redneck in a check shirt and ten gallon hat I can assure you the reality is much more surprising. He isn't Texan and he doesn't have a drawl.

Precisely. I can think of other members who have similar if not higher post counts who are quite happy to wade into arguments while in possession of few facts if any and who then get all pissy about stuff. Like him or loathe him if you don't have all the relevant data to hand then prepare to be shot down in flames. And whining about it is about as sensible as juggling rattlesnakes as all it does is ensure you register on his radar.

Last edited:
I would seriously think about upgrading my life insurance right now if I were you! :D

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I can respect somebody if they occasionally admit to being wrong rather at lot more than someone arguing constantly. Maybe this guy is some kind of literary genius in which case I'll apologise, but, having recently completed an A Level in English Language myself, I remain dubious about some of the points he's made.