Random Thoughts....

I just spent an hour meeting one of my new neighbors and getting the low-down on every family on the circle. Which one is the hoarder, which one won't return tools, which one is a leech, etc.

Most important thing I learned: Which one is the neighborhood gossip.

Hmm, which ones will you avoid?

Hmm, which ones will you avoid?
Yes.

I did my due diligence and said "hello," I wave at the neighbors when they pass, but mostly I want to keep to myself. I am not interested in BBQs or block parties, I plan to leave people alone unless there is something of concern that affects our properties.

Last edited:
No reason to be all anti-social. You may find that you like one or two of them. Of course you may also find that you want to put a couple of severed heads out as a warning to the others. The guy that doesn't return the tools would be my first suggestion. ;)

Yes.

I did my due diligence and said "hello," I wave at the neighbors when they pass, but mostly I want to keep to myself. I am not interested in BBQs or block parties, I plan to leave people alone unless there is something of concern that affects our properties.

if i had my own own house i'd be delighted to have BBQs/block parties with the neighbours. i know neighbours can be idiots who annoy the hell out of you (yeah, mowing your lawn 7am on a saturday is just wrong!), but quite a few of them - even the annoying ones - are mostly quite pleasant once you get to know them. of course some are hopeless, but there's always a few of those around, right?

WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYONE GETTING ENGAGED SO EARLY?
thats nothing, just wait until you start hearing everyone else has got children or expecting one. Frequently makes me feel like i'm far older than i really am.
This October marks the fourth marriage in my inner circle of friends (we are all in our early 30s by now, so it's not that early) and also the first divorce in said circle. Oh, and the guy who's getting married has been engaged before in his mid-twenties, which lasted a whooping three months.

Moral of the story: Keeping a working relationship is hard enough without the additional legal/moral/formal/ritual pressure of an engagement or marriage. Avoid.

My opinion: If two people love each other so much they want to spend a fairly long time (a.k.a. the rest of their lives) together, they don't need a state-/church-issued certificate for that.

And the "no children yet" thing creeps me out. It sounds like people feel the need to have children just to be normal.

Reactions: TC
I made it to England a few days ago and already I'm loving it here. There weren't any rooms available at the hotel on base so I'm staying at a hotel/pub. Oh darn! :p I've already been set up with a rental car (a 2001 Honda Accord with a 5-speed and VTEC kicked in yo!) and driving has been a bit of an adventure so far. Maybe I should have flipped through the Highway Code before setting off on public roads on my second day in the country. Oh well. The biggest problem I'm facing is that I have absolutely no idea where anything is so trying to find shops or anything ends in me getting very very lost. But hey, that's how you learn about your surroundings right? I've also taken part in the great tradition of watching Top Gear reruns on Dave. Next up is the search for a car of my own and a house to rent.

Hello from Ukania! :wave:

Try these for a cheap car. ...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/ and he does pretty fair reviews

http://www.whatcar.com/ Better for new cars but they do reviews too. We like hatchbacks because of their flexibility with loads yet handle well when empty.

http://www.desperateseller.co.uk/

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/?rw.cm=Google,PPC,buy+used+car&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=buy+used+car&utm_campaign=Site+Links

Last edited:
Yeah, and that is not right. Having children should be positively tax-relevant, yes, but not not being single.

Having children is positively tax-relevant.

The marriage tax advantage works for couples that have large income differences, ie one working full time and the other part time or not at all to take care of kids or whatever. If both work full time there is little to no advantage, hence it's not that much about married or not but about starting a family or not. Hard to run a family if both work full time.

Hard to run a family if both work full time.

Unless there's a significant grandparent element being involved. My parents have been working full-time from before they got married, and I spent quite a section my first 10 years with my mother's parents basically. It helped though that we lived in a small city in that period and never more than 5 minutes (walking) away from where they live.

Last edited:
I'm back in the states. All packed and ready to go, this morning I'm starting the drive toward Boulder, CO.

In that regard, I wish Germany was more like France and offered sufficient daycares and schools.

Maybe I was misunderstood :lol: marriage tax advantages make it easier for families that are mainly supported by one salary, as a result of them the financial impact of one going from full time to part time or no time isn't as big.