The Sultan of Brunei and his collection of 5000 cars....

You have to take into account what part of the world he is from. The people of Brunei revere this guy supposedly because he is charitable... fuck the fact that their country is so poor and under developed.

So there can be huge differences in the way people think over there... but I agree with you that he shouldn't just like them up in a hermetically sealed garage.

Addendum: Well apparently Brunei has the 33rd highest HDI so I guess they're rather well off. But they still revere an absolutist monarch...

Eugene said:
It occurs to me that this little Brunei person is really kinda sad :)

In fact any person who buys a car and locks it away and doesn't drive it is not only sad but has no interest in cars in general. Imagine having that much money and buying so many cars that it's physically impossible to drive them all.

Cars are meant to be driven. They are made up of parts that need to be in motion. A car at standstill is an abused car.

If it was me then I'd spend my million on a black McClaren F1 and tear up my bus ticket :D

i was just reading about this the other day, he owned 4 Porsche Dauer 962's at one point in time from what i heard

I#ve seen that article from the first post 2 years ago, and it was old back then... I'm very sure he will have stocked up and have all the Carrera GTs, Enzos, Paganis and Koenigseggs... Although he might have trouble with the Koenigseggs since they come in lots of colours...

I thought it was funny he has an A3....

//edit: Seriously look at the list, he doesn't even have a F360, so its gotta be older than 99...

He even has a few Holden's in there....

talkin abt colors, what abt AM, u can basically have any color u want...........

A little insight on Brunei and its cars:

As a person who has lived there for a large part of my life (family emigrated here to Canada), I can tell you guys first hand it's not all that it's made out to be.

It's true that the Sultan has much more money than any of us will, he is either first or second richest man in the world, constantly switching places with Bill Gates; the media always seem to mix up as to who really has the deeper pockets.

There is that misconception of association that a super rich ruler equals a super rich and fancy country, something akin to Dubai. I can assure you that Brunei is not glamorous; nor are his citizens rich by any means. The entire population of Brunei is only ~350,000 people, with only ~45,000 living in the capital city of Bandar. The rest of the country is made up of small towns like the size of Canmore. It is basically small towns peppered in between thick and dense Borneo tropical rain forest. All the "highways", if you can even call them that, are single lane roads. Only the roads around the capital city are divided 2 lanes. They are slowly building 2 lane roads, only if they are paving new road, not existing road.

There are no tall buildings to be even spoken of; take a look at Google Earth if you don't believe me. Yes there is a (ONE) glitzy hotel, the Empire Hotel & Country Club. There is a theme park outside of Bandar located in the town of Jurodong, that is all but a ghost amusement park. The theme park started off as an amusement park the Sultan built for the people, so naturally it was free admission & rides. The only problem is, the population of Brunei isn't even large enough to justify such an attraction. People go once, and never go again, because there isn't that much to do; it's not Disneyland we're talking about here. So what happens? Nobody rides the rides, so the rides don't get maintained, because they haven't been "in operation". Mind you this isn't some sort of old amusement park or anything, it was completed sometime in the late 90's with modern rides. The citizens are scared to go on the rides for fear that a ride might break down on them, leaving them hanging in mid air to die; that is exactly what happened in one incident on the only roller coaster. The amusement park is part of a "park" that also has golf and polo facilities. It is also the storage site of the vast collection of cars.

It is true that there are no taxes in Brunei, but that doesn't automatically make his citizens millionaires, or even "a hundred thousand-naires" :p The average wage for a person there the last time I went back in 2002 was $40/day. I'm sure that wage has gone up by now, but can't be by that much. Before we emigrated here to Canada, my father's $60,000k/year salary was considered "rich".

I can assure you that nobody drives exotic cars like Ferraris, Bentleys, Porsches, etc. You would never see an exotic car street race video like with what you have in Saudi Arabia, Dubai, and the like. If the people were drowning in money, you would have seen plenty of these types of videos by now. There are however a lot of people who drive R32/R33/R34 Skylines, S13/S14/S15 Silvias, FC/FD RX7's, MR2/MR2-S, Supras, FTO's, etc; all your favourite Japanese tuner cars. There is also another reason why you don't see Dubai/Saudi Arabia street race type videos coming out of Brunei. By law, people are not allowed to modify their cars beyond factory specification, because the government claims that ANY type of modifications "cause accidents". This means aftermarket wheels, (yes, you read correctly, wheels!), intakes, exhausts, etc. That's not to say there aren't any modified cars or tuner shops. There's lots of modified cars around, but if you get stopped by a police officer, a simple bribe will do the trick. So if people are in the market for upcoming 15 year old JDM cars, I know just the place There are even Nismo/S Tune/R Tune versions of the Skylines running around, and we know those aren't just "stock"

Ok finally onto the Sultan. From what we citizens (former for myself :p) know, the vast car collection was started by the Sultan himself, but it's his younger brother Prince Jeffri that has made it what it is today. Prince Jeffri is a playboy and has studied in Europe, hence where all this love of European exotics was born. The cars are all bought with the Sultan's money, so essentially, the cars do belong to the Sultan. Since the end of the 90's, the Sultan has been weary of his younger brother's spending habits, and has threatened to cut off his income. I'm not too sure what's the follow up on that, maybe someone else does. And no, the Sultan does not drive the cars, because frankly, he's a Sultan, people to drive him around. So I don't know who it is that has come up with this idea that they shut down roads for him to drag on. I certainly would have heard something about it from my friends and relatives after living there for 15 years.

The Sultan's wives don't drive their own cars either; I've never encountered the Sultan's car while driving before. But his wives are chauffeured around in a early 90's pink chameleon S Class last time I encountered them on the highway in 2002. When you see that car in your rear view, you clear to the side and let it pass, cause the chauffeur can drive as fast as they want.

I hope I brought just a little bit of insight into this relatively unknown country situated in the Southeast. One last thing, if you ever really want to go there for a vacation, don't bother. Tourism is not something they particularly care about. There are no white sand beaches or night clubs, or night scene. Everything shuts down after 6pm. You won't see exotic cars from the Sultan's collection, because they're all locked up. All you'll see is small towns and jungle everywhere. Oh, but the Hainese chicken rice, satay, roti, rojak are all to die for.

GraemeH said:
Apparently he has a boat that's so big it has a helipad. He doesn't go anywhere in it, just keeps it parked up.

My friend worked on his yacht for a couple of years a long time ago as a deckhand. It follows him where ever he goes. (Actually arrives before he does) He has it at the closest port to his destination, just in case he needs it, whether it is to entertain or not. It is rarely used by him, but it does get used.

In reality, all the wealth belongs to the people, but the sultan (and his councils) divvy it up in the manner they please. All the wealth comes from their oil and natural gas reserves, and the money reserve is invested globally. I think they still have a cattle farm here in Australia that is actually larger than the whole of Brunei.

However, they have really good "free" health care for the people. No income tax or capital gains, and company tax is about 30%. They do make it easy for foreign investments though.

As BCS mentioned, you wont see his car collection, unless you are invited or know them (or his staff) and it's not a touristy place...

:shock: 9 F1s.....wow, wonder how long it would take to walk around his garage and look at them all? weeks probably. He'd enjoy them a lot more he he built a huge race-track near his garage and he could spend the rest of his life finding out how great his collection really is.

IVIaster said:
alokharidas said:
for every car he has, including the exotics, he has one model per color offered. Look at those F40s sitting there, never to be driven.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :censored: :censored: :censored: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I think the US army should make a little intervention to Brunei and confiscate his cars in the name of Democracy especially the Rolls Royces.

Thankfully he didnt have a Veyron, Enzo, Koenigsegg or a Porsche GT, not even a Gallardo.

:lmao:

i don't care he has that many of those rare cars, they're taken care off, they don't rust, and if he hadn't bought them, some fucker who probably crashed them right away would have

now they are preserved

They should be perserved, but not by locking them up in some garage. They should be driven, that's what they're made for.

swek said:
BlaRo said:
I thought I'd never live to hear the following words put together, but...
What an awkward and ugly Aston Martin.
:unsure:

Don't diss the Sultan. He has exquisite taste yo!

452392.jpg

lol... thats way to much bling for me, he needs to get one of these.

corvettelimo.jpg

big ass bump!!!!

21 of his cars - none of which he's ever driven - came up for sale
time to smash the piggybank!

The mysterious cache of exotic cars collected by the Sultan of Brunei has been hidden from public view for many years ? until this week, when 21 popped up for sale for as much as $2 million. The worst news? The sultan never drove most of them.

The postings on luxury used car seller JamesList make no mention of their heritage or current owner ? outside of their location on the Pacific island of Indonesia. Some have no indication of mileage, and only a few have publicly listed prices, the top being the 2004 Ferrari Enzo listed for $2 million (1.4 million euros). And as visitors have noted, a tropical island is no place to stash a supecar and expect it to survive humid, salty air without periodic attention.

But the Sultan's neglect was so all-encompassing that many of them, including the Enzo, the Jaguar XJ220, the BMW Nazca V12 and the Cizeta V16 pictured above have the same mileage on their odometers that they left the factory with. That kind of car hoarding might appeal to a few collectors and museums, but here it's a tragedy. Not only did a wealthy despot waste his country's resources on toys no one enjoyed, there's no telling how much of their engines and suspensions have converted into a rust-and-oil cobbler.
View the gallery

The world won't shed too many tears over a few Ferraris wasted, but many of these are a piece of history and deserve better than they've been treated so far. If someone with the proper resources wants to help us launch the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Supercars, we're here to help.

http://jalopnik.com/5828222/sultan-of-brunei-selling-exotic-cars-he-never-drove

Last edited:
Who cares if the thread is old?... I?ll write something interesting anyway.

I recently read that someone had been granted access to the storage facility. The truth is that these cars are mostly not taken care of at all, and are being left to gather mould and other putrefacting substances in very poorly kept facilities.

In the recent years the Sultan kicked his brother out of the country after "borrowing" money from the government and not paying back.

Since then the cars have been basically left to rot.

Thanks a lot you greedy SOB...

Who cares if the thread is old?... I?ll write something interesting anyway.

I recently read that someone had been granted access to the storage facility. The truth is that these cars are mostly not taken care of at all, and are being left to gather mould and other putrefacting substances in very poorly kept facilities.

In the recent years the Sultan kicked his brother out of the country after "borrowing" money from the government and not paying back.

Since then the cars have been basically left to rot.

Thanks a lot you greedy SOB...

Yeah, there was a rather interesting article about that a while back. I posted it on the forums in its own thread, but I'll link it here. http://forums.finalgear.com/general...-bruneia-s-rotting-supercar-collection-48708/

I wonder if it would be possible to steal all those cars in one go.....probably would take a quite a lot of man power. Who's up for a heist, :lol: