Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Did you know you can do some MAD elevenses in an empty '06 International (DT466E, Eaton 6-speed, air brakes, big ugly box)? More, more like 1111's, since duallies and all that.

Yup. But most young people who rent them will drive like grandma once they're loaded.

I used to work for UPS. We used to drift the box trucks (and forklifts, and switchers, and...) around the parking lot when there was nothing else to do. So yes, you can do fun things with those.

Toyo is second-tier? I never knew that. Which ones are top-tier?
Also, I only heard of Kenda tires for bicycles, and those suck too.
And more than once a salesman tried to convince me that Kelly is "Goodyear with another name".

Second-tier in terms of name rather than quality; the Japanese ones tire makers I would consider first-tier are the ones used as OEMs, like Bridgestone and Yokohama.

Toyo is second-tier? I never knew that. Which ones are top-tier?
Also, I only heard of Kenda tires for bicycles, and those suck too.
And more than once a salesman tried to convince me that Kelly is "Goodyear with another name".

Kelly is what they do with the Goodyear designs that don't work out. :p

Yup. But most young people who rent them will drive like grandma once they're loaded.
Let's be honest - most young people wouldn't know what to do with a 30-foot, 13-ton, air-braked, and worst of all, manual-transmissioned truck. They all haul their precious valuables around in the firetraps that comprise the UHaul E-and-F-series fleets. These they do in fact drive like grandma.

That's luckily not the exact model, I got Tigar Siguras (and they're not winterreifen). So let's hope there's been a couple useful years of development

Yeah, after not being able to find any test results there really is only hope left.

Let's be honest - most young people wouldn't know what to do with a 30-foot, 13-ton, air-braked, and worst of all, manual-transmissioned truck. They all haul their precious valuables around in the firetraps that comprise the UHaul E-and-F-series fleets. These they do in fact drive like grandma.

Ryder and Uhaul both rent automatic transmission box trucks of that size and weight, too...

And yes, they have no idea how to operate them - so they go about 20 under the limit wherever they go and take corners at 2mph. So yeah, they're not going to be running up the statistics.

So today the Saab got a bit of a polish and wax. Essentially because after the Eurotrip I took all the vinyl off, which left an annoying amount of glue reside all over the body. I've left the vinyl on the boot, as it looks awesome, along with the 'Bratislava Or Bust' sticker in the rear window, but everything else is gone.

Random thought as that is, feels good to have a nice and shiny car. Just a shame about the multicoloured paint marks down the side and the horrific bonnet (looking worse since the vinyl came off too). The paint marks will come off given enough scrubbing, but I can't be bothered to do that right now. There are a couple of small dents and a bit of the lacquer has been removed which as proven by the bonnet, annoys me. Also gives a bit of 'wait, what?' to the car - you may initially think that its just been hit by someone else, but then you wonder why the paint is yellow, red, blue and white... :lol:

However the bonnet does really let the car down - finding a second hand one has been hard as Scarabe Green seems to be a rare colour so it may be left to just getting it resprayed.

It also needs servicing etc, and I think that the brakes need bleeding/fluid replacing as they feel very spongy. I do think I should get these looked at this week, aka before the Ringmeet, but the service (basic oil, filters and plugs replacement really) can wait until after it.

Forget the Miata, that's an eMac on its side in front of it! Oh the humanity!

:O nooooo

Trust me, the eMac is no loss. Those that aren't dead already will be soon due to the power supply going out. Getting to the hard drive to recover data is a PITA; I'd prefer seeing the eMac on fire instead of the Miata. :p

It will come to nobody's surprise that I love the eMac. A modern take on a classic design.

So today the Saab got a bit of a polish and wax. Essentially because after the Eurotrip I took all the vinyl off, which left an annoying amount of glue reside all over the body. I've left the vinyl on the boot, as it looks awesome, along with the 'Bratislava Or Bust' sticker in the rear window, but everything else is gone.
I'm really looking forward to riding in this thing, it'll be like riding in a Swedish carnival float. :p

Because. V8.

It's a bone stock pickup truck from 1993, what do you expect? And that's a step up from a month ago, I timed 10ish seconds.

It's a bone stock pickup truck from 1993, what do you expect? And that's a step up from a month ago, I timed 10ish seconds.
Ah, when some titles it "V8" you expect more. The Tranny shifting wasn't helping the time.

No it wasn't, but it sounded cool! :D

ok
i know what we're missing
there needs to be a gen7 corolla racing series
displacement limited to 2 litres
and no restrictions beyond that

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 automatic with 105k miles is having trouble changing gear, there are often a few seconds in between 1 -> 2. Common issue? Known solution? I'm not looking for a detailed diagnosis just double-checking in case this is a known problem.