Color pictures of WWII

JohnnyRacer

These are amazing photos taken back then. Here are some samples...

s_w02_1a35324u.jpg

s_w18_1a35295u.jpg

s_w12_1a35226u.jpg

The rest are here. Enjoy.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/08/world-war-ii-the-american-home-front-in-color/100122/

They look like homage pictures taken last week... just fantastic.

The girls are gorgeous ;)

Sad kodachrome is no more... :(

I had all the auto techs at my work gathered around my computer as I scrolled trough them, they were mesmerized. :lol:

Wow, these are incredible, easily some of the best photos I've seen of the era. Looks like it could have all happened yesterday.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Brilliant stuff :D Anybody know why some of the pics are super clear while some others are grainy and seem not correctly focussed?

Wow! Brilliant stuff :D Anybody know why some of the pics are super clear while some others are grainy and seem not correctly focussed?

These photographs date back to the 1940s. I expect different photographers with somewhat different equipment took the photos that you see. Some of which are/aren't composed for the benefit of the lens.

Take a look at the rest of the sets dating back to June/July. Brilliant stuff!

I'd love to see a modern WW2 movie filmed with kodachrome'esq filters

it gives everything amazing depth and colour

Yes they really are stunning. Judging by the aspect ratio, I'm going to say it was either 828 or 120 film. Anyone know for sure?

Awesome... Lovely photos. Doesn't even look like they are old photos. They look extremely crisp.

I'd love to see a modern WW2 movie filmed with kodachrome'esq filters
Given a Hollywood budget, you could simply pay Kodak to produce a batch of Kodakchrome 35mm stock instead of "faking" the look in post. There are still some labs processing K-14 remaining, so getting the stock developed won't be a problem.

Given a Hollywood budget, you could simply pay Kodak to produce a batch of Kodakchrome 35mm stock instead of "faking" the look in post. There are still some labs processing K-14 remaining, so getting the stock developed won't be a problem.

I remember reading that the few labs remaining could only develop black and white because kodak doesn't produce the chemicals needed for developing colour anymore.

Last edited:
Bummer :(

Given a Hollywood budget you can get it developed anyway.