The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Congrats on getting the GL moving, CJ! You plan on getting some SS brake lines to go with the fishheads? How are the ergos on that bike compared to the VF500, and the cb750?

On the subject of egros, I finally feel like I've got a motorcycle that is my size. Both the CB750 and the VF500F felt tiny under me, the GL, however, feels just right.

Here is me doing a couple of passes on it in the parking lot.

Exotic Italian Motorcycle + Hillbillies + GoPro= Hilariousness.

Just in case you didn't catch this down in the Random Thoughts (general) thread:

a6cd88c3-dba0-d58b.jpg

How in the hell do you stay comfortable at that temp? I know you guys don't have to deal with the humidity like we do up here, but that is still damn hot.

How in the hell do you stay comfortable at that temp? I know you guys don't have to deal with the humidity like we do up here, but that is still damn hot.

Uh... You must be thinking about Arid-zona.

Source: http://ggweather.com/ccd/avgrh.htm

Dallas Fort Worth average relative humidity (first number is morning, second number is afternoon) -
June: 85 58
July: 79 52
August: 79 52

Detroit Michigan average relative humidity -
June: 79 54
July: 82 54
August: 86 56

Not a hell of a lot of difference there. Gets worse the further south you go; Houston is called Humidston for a reason. Sweating doesn't do you a lot of good there, the air is too saturated for it to evaporate quickly.

Houston -
June: 92 64
July: 92 62
August: 92 62

Just for comparison:

Phoenix -
June: 30 12
July: 43 20
August: 50 24

Getting stranded in the middle of the Sahara is more comfortable than Dallas in high summer heat.

As for the other part of your question, there are multiple strategies riders use. Among them are active cooling vests, mesh gear, perforated gear, evaporative (or other tech) cooling collars (which are surprisingly effective), soaking the clothes one wears under ventilated gear in water prior to riding, and others. Evaporative cooling concepts don't work unless you generate a fairly high wind around here due to the high relative humidity, so we speed a lot more than usual so our body cooling systems work (if that's the tech we're using.) Hydration on runs is of paramount importance and being alert for signs of imminent heat stroke is something you just do - and you treat for that right the hell now the second you see the first symptoms.

Basically, the bottom line for us is 'keep moving' like certain kinds of sharks.

Last edited:
Finally got back to workin' on the Nighthawk again. Seeing this kinda inspired me to get it finished.

Man, those nighthawks are really versatile bikes. :lol:

I had a little accident just a few hours ago. On my way to see a friend I came into a corner that was harder then I thought it was, too much speed and didn't lean enough so started braking and went straight into a ditch. I'm fine and it wasn't anything spectacular, but the handlebar is bent, got a few scratches on the plastic and I fear the front fork is a bit misaligned. :(
I'll wash him today and see what's what...

damn...

The Thrustmaster 550 rides again!

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2011/08/05/CIMG1010.jpg

More here.

Random moto thought: I saw the most hilarious thing today. There was a huge pack of harleys approaching, usually stuff, leather vests, half helmets if at all, and right in the middle of them was a guy in an R1200GS decked out in full gear.

One of these things is not like the others....

Lookin' good! Must be nice to have shiny paint on a bike that you're working on. Hopefully I'll have similar results in a few days with my nighthawk.....

I went and sold my VFR to a friend who really, really wanted it (I think he's nuts :lol:.) Of course I'm looking for a replacement now. Do Buells and BMWs go for reasonable money ... anywhere? Seems like people want 3 grand minimum for either, even when they're in no better shape than my VFR was.

It happens, at least you're alright. What's final word on the damages?

I went and sold my VFR to a friend who really, really wanted it (I think he's nuts :lol:.) Of course I'm looking for a replacement now. Do Buells and BMWs go for reasonable money ... anywhere? Seems like people want 3 grand minimum for either, even when they're in no better shape than my VFR was.

Buells can be cheap, but they are crap so most people don't want them.

It happens, at least you're alright. What's final word on the damages?

Forget about Buell. The company is pretty much dead and parts will eventually become difficult to track down; I'm not sure what the dealer support is for Buell right now. I would never buy one. A while ago I was on a ride with a guy who had a Buell, after one leg of the ride we all took a break and shut down the bikes, ten minutes later the fan on the Buell was still running. When we asked if the bike was having a problem, he explained that the fuel is stored in the frame and the fuel lines run between the wide frame and the hot engine with no heat shield (essentially turning the area into an oven with walls of gasoline). If the bike doesn't run the fan for an extended period of time, the fuel in the lines will boil into vapor and vapor-lock when it hits the injectors.

About the time he mentioned "boiling gasoline" everyone was backing away from the Buell and those who parked near it relocated their bikes to the other side of the lot. No one parked or stood near that thing for the rest of the day.

The owner protested and said that storing fuel in the frame got the center of gravity lower, making it easier to corner; but no one believed him. If doing that was worth even a hundredth of a second they would have adopted it in MotoGP, Moto2, World Superbike and pretty much every other race series.

Last edited:
The days of "cheap" bikes is long gone.
Naw. Just a couple years ago I bought a very clean old XL250, rebuilt engine, new tires, for $500. I see plenty of clean old bikes under a grand, which I'd consider cheap. It's the "modern" sportbikes that are harder to find in that price range.

Buells can be cheap, but they are crap so most people don't want them.
The Blast is certainly shit, I'd never bother with one of those. But an old Cyclone or Lightning? That would be fun.

Sounds like an XB, Blind. Lots of neat ideas, all fucked up by Harley corporate.

Last edited:
When I look for a bike, I'm buying more than good intentions.

When I look for a bike, I'm buying more than good intentions.
Why not? It keeps things interesting. :p I wouldn't buy an XB either; it's just a shame that they could've been such great bikes. They were supposed to have a turbo Rotax V-twin in them, for starters.

The older bikes are essentially a warmed over HD twin in a conventional sport bike frame.

800px-Buell_M2_Cyclone_white_2000_front.jpg

Looks like a hell of a lot of fun to me, even if I've got to put up with maintaining a Harley engine.

Last edited:
That doesn't look like fun to me, and I wouldn't buy a Harley product anyway. I stop to help bikes broken down on the side of the road, guess which one I see most frequently?

I would much rather have a Yamaha, Triumph, Ducati, or BMW than any Harley.