Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

My 1.8 version is quite usable at 1.8 and 2.0, I'd rather buy the sigma 50 1.4 over the canon so it was usable at 1.4

the DoF would be insane though. brought it out for the day and pretty happy with what I got

Picked up a used 1D MKIII today from a Canon Authorized Professional Service Facility in Dublin. I got it pretty cheap once the VAT is refunded plus they gave me a 12 month warranty and an extra battery. However, when I got home I noticed something ...

5974190385_3cf9d71731_b.jpg

Grrrrrrrr

I only spotted it with the sensor loupe. I'm not sure if it's a scratch on the UV filter or some stubborn dirt but the CAPSF are sending me a wet cleaning kit to try remove it and if not they'll repair it FOC & ASAP.

Pretty pissed off about it but it could be a whole lot worse.

Here's my new ND Filter:

sunglasses.jpg

/goingtoridiculouslengthstonotinvestanymoneyonphotographywhatsoever

Last edited:
I've got photochromatic ND filter. My glasses get dark when it's sun out.

Paddy, sad to hear it, I know everything about being let down by a camera when you need it. Sure they repeair it for you, but you're still without your toy for some days.

Here's my new ND Filter:

sunglasses.jpg

/goingtoridiculouslengthstonotinvestanymoneyonphotographywhatsoever

Funny you should post this, I've always wanted a filter that was like my sunglasses lens, since they nicely reduce the glare and make the colours punchy.

Funny you should post this, I've always wanted a filter that was like my sunglasses lens, since they nicely reduce the glare and make the colours punchy.

Circular polarizer dog.

holy crap, just found out that my friend's dad has a Leica S2 and a Pentax 645D... o_O that stuff looks badass.

A bat is the best mean for hitting someone in the head attempting to disrupt their ownership of objects of desire.

Are m42 lenses of high quality for the prices that they're going for?

Depends. Pentax SMC Takumar, maybe; others, questionable.

Is there a way to find out sort-of which ones are best suited for a crop-sensor DSLR?

Short of looking for user reviews, you'd be hard-pressed to find any good advice on that, as M42 lenses were made almost exclusively for 35mm film cameras. I know that a lot of micro 4/3 people use them on their cameras and don't have any trouble with them, though withe the usual issue of wide-open softness.

Reactions: LP
super takumar would be my best bet for performance/$.. if you use a canon dslr the adapter for it which has the AF-confirm chip is worth the money against the non-chip-version. it works, at least with my takumar f3.5 28mm, auto-beroflex f2.8 135mm and auto-chinon f1.7 50mm.

Reactions: LP
Thanks guys. I thanked LCG in +rep, but I shall thank him here as well. I will look into the takumars for sure.

Last question, I promise - I've heard that the rear element can actually retract and hit the mirror in certain canon DSLRS. This is apparently true of some takumars. I remember seeing a website online that mapped out many of the m42 lenses and if they retract and strike the mirror of a canon 5D mark II. Can I safely assume that any lens that won't hit the mirror on a 5D won't hit the mirror on my lowly 450D?

Apologies for all the newb questions and thanks guys for your advice on this.

cant say anything about other lenses than the ones i own or have owned (which was a sun auto-zoom 70-210mm f4) but they have worked with my previous camera (350d) and my current one (5d).

3316409793_976874ea70.jpg

and look how cute it looks :)

One session of street photography and I'm hooked. Next time I'll use my Panasonic 20mm, as the 40mm of the lens I used (80mm equivalent on full frame) is too long for a 2x crop factor sensor. If only it had a focus distance scale; a software one would do fine. Shush Olympus 12mm f/2, I'm not looking at you..