Chevy Cruze to get a diesel engine

That and you get worse millage with ethanol.

That and you get worse millage with ethanol.

I never quite understood the ethanol pushing for that very reason:

consumer: "that's nice and all but i'm getting LESS millage for my money?...wha?"

consumer: "that's nice and all but i'm getting LESS millage for my money?...wha?"

You're getting less distance per volume, whether you get less distance per money or not depends on the price of E85/100.

For instance, when I was pootling through Sweden in a rented V70 E85 it was cheaper by the litre to pick E85 over petrol.

Blame the corn industry. High fructose corn syrup is also more expensive than cane/beat sugar without the government paying for it.

You're getting less distance per volume, whether you get less distance per money or not depends on the price of E85/100.

For instance, when I was pootling through Sweden in a rented V70 E85 it was cheaper by the litre to pick E85 over petrol.

It isn't cheaper. Pretty much all gas here is E10. Which is a 10% hit regards to fuel economy.

It isn't cheaper. Pretty much all gas here is E10. Which is a 10% hit regards to fuel economy.

If all gas is E10, how do you know it's cheaper? :tease:

A 10% hit doesn't make sense, diluting 90% high-energy-content fuel with 10% slightly-lower-energy-content fuel you will end up with more than 90%.
Let's take E85 as a more visible example. By your method you should have an 85% hit in fuel economy. However, by energy content you will only have a 43% drop. In reality you're looking at 30-33% due to various improvements such as oxygen content, enthalpy of vaporization, ...
Various independent German (read: thorough and scientific) organizations have determined that switching from E5 to E10 leads to a drop in economy of roughly 1.5%, by your method it should have been 5%.

E10 is a 10% compared to running regular fuel. There is regular gas sold in some places and that is not more expensive than the national average.

E10 is a 10% compared to running regular fuel.

Yes, what is your point?

If switching from E5 to E10 drops your economy by roughly 1.5% then switching from E0 to E10 won't drop it by 10%. Simple scaling of energy content would suggest roughly 3%.

There is regular gas sold in some places and that is not more expensive than the national average.

If there are a few stations selling E5 or E0 at higher prices, do you think the Average American Driver will pay more per gallon or skip that seemingly overcharging station?
Judging by overall reports of your average driver I'd go with skip, those few stations have no option other than charging the same price as everyone else charges for E10.