Dredd

jedd_kenobi

Forum Addict
Car(s)
A Blue Police Box
I've just found out that there is a new Judge Dredd film in the works. Completely unrelated to the 1995 film made by Danny Cannon starring Sylvester Stallone and Diane Lane. This new film called simply 'Dredd' features Karl Urban (Star Trek's Dr McCoy, Lord of the Ring's Eomer and the Russian Assassin in The Bourne Supremacy) as Judge Dredd and Olivia Thirlby (from Juno) as Psi Judge Cassandra Anderson. The new film is being written by Alex Garland (writer of 28 Days Later and the novel The Beach) and directed by Pete Davis (who directed Vantage Point and Endgame).
The films plot is still unknown at the moment, however it will most likely be based upon the long running 2000AD comic book character. Its also unknown if the film will feature the iconic Dark Judges or if it will be based upon one of the mega-epics (A Mega-Epic is a event that occurs occasionally in the comic books where major events occur and the biggest changes to canon are made). For those unfamiliar, heres a brief primer on the world of Dredd.

After the Atomic Wars of the 21st century that devastated the world. Humanity now resides in giant cities. In what was once New York, Washington DC and the East Coast. Mega City One is protected by a law enforcement system called the Judges. Judge, Jury and Executioner all rolled into one package. The Judge is able to dispense instant justice without getting wrapped up in 'due process' the toughest out of all of these judges is Judge Dredd. Cloned from the founder of the Judge System, Eustace Fargo. Dredd is the embodiment of the Judge system and as he frequently states 'he is the law.'

While much else can't be divulged. some promo photos have been released of the film.
284856.jpg

urban-dredd-enhanced.jpg

dredd-movie-image-magazine-scan-costumes-01-600x518-510x440.jpg

dredd-movie-image-magazine-scan-karl-urban-01-448x600.jpg

dredd-movie-image-magazine-scan-olivia-thirlby-01-600x506-510x430.jpg

Dredd is currently planned for release September 2012.

Can?t be worse than the Stallone version...

First things first, the person playing Dredd should be older and more physically imposing than this guy, the ideal man really would be Clancy Brown, he's got the right size, he's about the right age, he's got a powerful commanding voice.

I'll reserve judgement till I see a trailer, but that is the first thing I thought of.

First things first, the person playing Dredd should be older and more physically imposing than this guy, the ideal man really would be Clancy Brown, he's got the right size, he's about the right age, he's got a powerful commanding voice.

I'll reserve judgement till I see a trailer, but that is the first thing I thought of.

oh be quiet you, karl urban is awesome!

Bah, I'm waiting for Hollywood to come out with Bazooka Joe vs Jason: Blood Wrath.

Should be alright so long as Karl never takes the helmet off.

Do you hear me, Hollywood producers? I know you spent a lot of money on Stallone and felt that people should see the star, but you should fight that urge.

Oh, and no flying Lawmasters. Just because it's in the future doesn't mean that everything has to fly. Besides, where have I seen flying motorcycles before? That's right - Galactica 1980. A show so bad that it was written out of BSG canon. If you feel the need to emulate other sci-fi, make sure you emulate good sci-fi.

And make sure that Mega-City One is truly, you know, mega. In the books it covered practically the entire Eastern US seaboard - from Charleston, SC to Boston, MA. In the 1995 film, it only seemed to cover the Tri-state area, from Newark, NJ to New Haven, CT. Not very mega.

And lastly, while humor does have a place in the Judge Dredd universe, the humor should come from the situation, not directly from Dredd himself. Dredd is the perfect street Judge -he has no sense of humor. This is a man who has had to judge other Judges, remember. A man that dedicated to the law will not throw out pithy one-liners before carrying out the sentence. But he will head-butt a werewolf. That can be funny.

Check out the 1995 film and try not to make their mistakes. And while I realize that film is a different medium than comics - and what works on the page doesn't always work onscreen - be true to the characters. That's what people will be spending their money to go see.

The costumes look wrong, I'm not sure about the leading actor. They'll need to really nail the characters for me to like this.

Seen the trailer (it's in another thread). Not impressed at all. Much like The Amazing SpiderMan. I'll probably end up giving this one a miss.

Is anyone else getting really tired of superhero movies?

I'm surprised there has no been discussion about Dredd in this thread. Saw the movie a month ago, thought it was fantastic and it breaks my heart that its done so poorly in the box office given how well made it was and vastly superior to the Stallone POS.

As of 25 October 2012, the film has earned so far over $35 million.

Unfortunately

On a $45 million budget, filming began on 12 November 2010 in Cape Town, South Africa, and took place over approximately 13 weeks, with second unit photography occurring over 7 weeks.[

So it still hasn't even broke even yet. And $45 million is a pretty reasonable budget for this type of real world sci fi action film with a decent amount of SFX.