Herpaderp and general screw-ups thread

Many years ago, while doing my first solo flight, I bounced the landing pretty bad, and ended up applying full power and going around for another circuit.

Next try went well, landed smoothly, but when I turned the engine off, one of my fellow students asked me if I had a prop strike when I bounced my landing. When I asked him why, he kindly pointed at the tips of the propeller, which where bent 90 degrees.

Pic related, it's one of my old flight school planes with a propeller in a similar state as mine:

C-GBDY.jpg

Load washing machine, pour detergent, start machine, walk away.
Half-hour later - come back and see the cap full of detergent still sitting on top of the dryer.

I've done that, kinda...but I didn't even get as far as pouring the detergent and forgetting to put it in - just put the clothes in and away they go. Didn't realize it until after they'd come out the dryer and still smelled a bit funny. :lol:

Many years ago, while doing my first solo flight, I bounced the landing pretty bad, and ended up applying full power and going around for another circuit.

Reminds me of a story one of the Aviators in my squadron told once:

Seems there was this Aviator who was always going around bragging about how shit-hot he was at carrier landings. Claiming that he always caught the number one wire (The first of 3 arresting cables on the deck) every time. Well, his shipmates got tired of his bragging and decided to get him back. They went to his aircraft and removed the cleat (The part that actually grabs the cable.) from his tailhook. (MWF, if you make some double-entendre, wink-wink nudge-nudge remark about "tailhook" I will go to the UK and slap you with a large trout.)
So the next morning he's on his training flight when it's time to RTB. He sets up on approach, calls the Ball with the LSO, and proceeds to land.
"BOLTER, BOLTER, BOLTER!", he goes off the other end of the flight deck and sets up for another attempt. Same result. Does it a 3rd time. No joy. Finally the ATC tells him to divert to the nearest land base before he goes to Bingo fuel.
Needless to say, that particular Aviator never bragged again.

They went to his aircraft and removed the cleat (The part that actually grabs the cable.) from his tailhook. (MWF, if you make some double-entendre, wink-wink nudge-nudge remark about "tailhook" I will go to the UK and slap you with a large trout.)
What about if someone else does? I'm perfectly willing to do so if it means you slapping MWF with a wet trout.

(MWF, if you make some double-entendre, wink-wink nudge-nudge remark about "tailhook" I will go to the UK and slap you with a large trout.)

What about if someone else does? I'm perfectly willing to do so if it means you slapping MWF with a wet trout.

Or shall we all just slap MWF with a wet trout anyway on the basis that he deserves it?

So I screwed up my life.

Am I winning this thread?
I think we tied. Every time I see this thread, I have an urge to post a picture of myself in it.

Pft, I screwed up being created, I think I am ahead. :p

Well, several years ago, while I was working at the front desk, a man came by to pay and struggled with the money and change because he had just one arm. Then, to help him, I conveniently asked him: "Do you need a hand witht he change?".

Oh, and can I sign up in the "I screwed up my life and now my self-assurance is nowhere to be found" list too?

Also, MWF slapped with a trout... I really hope he will fall for the double-entendre...

I really hope he will fall for the double-entendre...

At the hospital that's what he'll claim, but I understand they're used to people getting things stuck up there and then claiming they fell onto it so he needn't feel too embarrassed.

I keep trying to use /me and other IRC commands in AIM because I use it so little.

It never works.

Or shall we all just slap MWF with a wet trout anyway on the basis that he deserves it?

I hear he enjoys that sort of thing.

And I assume his shipmates ended up in prison for tampering with flight safety critical hardware?

Yeah, cool story bro and all that. As if anyone in any navy worth its salt would be dumb enough to put someone's life and several million dollars worth of hardware at risk like that. I call anecdotal shenanigens.

I keep trying to use /me and other IRC commands in AIM because I use it so little.

It never works.

/me seems to work in Pidgin, but as all of my AIM contacts also use Pidgin, I don't know if it's just the client.

Next try went well, landed smoothly, but when I turned the engine off, one of my fellow students asked me if I had a prop strike when I bounced my landing. When I asked him why, he kindly pointed at the tips of the propeller, which where bent 90 degrees.

Pic related, it's one of my old flight school planes with a propeller in a similar state as mine:

C-GBDY.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2011/08/19/1313782541530_8eba9.jpg

Herpaderp and screwups people, not "woe as me". "Woe as me" goes elsewhere....

The parking meters at work are the bane of my existence. It's $7 to park all day, but any amount up to $6.90 works its way up in tiny increments to just over half a day. Only the last 10c gets that other 4 hours of you-can't-ticket-me-Mr-Inspector parking. The machines are a PITA. It takes a moment from when the coin gets dropped in, for it to show up on the readout thus adding the time. I get to the second last coin, inevitably with 3-4 hours paid, drop the last coin in so I've paid $7, and hit the print voucher button. And then I have to go back at lunchtime and pay another half a day. The solution: Don't pay for parking. Even if I get booked once a fortnight, I'm still ahead :lol:

Yesterday morning at work. I was distracted whilst talking to someone. Very distracted. Managed to break two automatic reports that now have to be recovered from the backup tapes. It's damn near impossible to break stuff in our business reporting "read only" viewer. But I managed it. Twice. Thank heavens I was only checking something and not logged in as Admin. That could have been a mega-disaster.

Managed to break two automatic reports that now have to be recovered from the backup tapes. It's damn near impossible to break stuff in our business reporting "read only" viewer. But I managed it. Twice.
Think of yourself as a software tester then. :D
Similarly, through a slight mishap of mine one of my company's customers noticed that their backup solution was quite sufficient to their needs in backing up, but the recovery part was somewhat less useful. Oops.