Autoblog: Cadillac Ciel Concept perfect car for Fear and Loathing in Monterrey

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
cadillac_100359765_m.jpg

Cadillac Ciel Concept designed for decadent drives up the coast

Autoblog said:
Cadillac has chosen the backdrop of this week's classic car festivities in Monterey, California to debut a new concept convertible called the Ciel, which means "sky" in French. The four-seat, four-door drop top was designed to be the ultimate carriage for a drive up the coast, as well as hints at Cadillac's aspirations to offer flagship luxury products in the future.

The Ciel is powered by a 425-horsepower, twin-turbocharged version of GM's 3.6-liter V6 engine with direct injection that's augmented by a hybrid system using lithium-ion batteries. Those massive 22-inch wheels may not look that large because the Ciel itself is a big boat with a wheelbase 12 inches longer than a CTS sedan and overall length cresting 200 inches. Cadillac says the car's shape is more natural and organic than its current design language, perhaps expressing more Art than Science with smoother lines and softer curves than we're used to seeing. We particularly like the slightly rising chrome accent line along the rocker panels that stretches the length of the Ciel.

Exterior aside, inside the Ciel is where we want to be. Passengers are absolutely coddled in their individual bucket seats with unique niceties like pull-out blankets to ward off an evening's chill, aromatherapy controls in the armrests and a drawer containing sun screen, sun glasses and a towel. Of course, technology is ever-present in the cabin with each seat having its own suite of connectivity options and the center dashboard being topped with an inductive charging surface.

Check out Cadillac's official images as well as our own live shots in the galleries below. Two official videos and Cadillac's official PR can be found after the jump.

cadillac_100359760_m.jpg

cadillac_100359761_m.jpg

Max likes four door convertible land yachts.

Last edited:
A million times YES!

Cadillac needs big style again. Although truth be told I'd believe it if someone told me this concept was ten years old.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Drop top, suicide doors, Death Star alloys, "Fuck you, it's a hybrid!" attitude, and looks a teensy bit like a Jag XJ. In black, it's glorious. I never thought I'd want a Caddy or a hybrid, but this one, I'd snap up in a second.

Overall I like, but the front needs some work.

Overall I like, but the front needs some work.

I agree, but I can't figure out exactly what needs to be done. Reduce the grill to about 75%, maybe? Trim down the bling (although given the Escalade, maybe they wanted ultra-bling in order to attract the eco-conscious rap stars out there)?

Looking at it more and more, it really looks a lot like the Bertone Jag concept that TGUK showed in 16x06, except with Caddy styling cues. It works really well. It works so well I don't mind that it has more lithium in it than a psych ward full of manic-depressives.

I love it. A proper American vert.

if the Lincoln continental in the entourage title sequence was to have anything bad happen (touch wood), I would expect this to be the replacement.

I agree, but I can't figure out exactly what needs to be done. Reduce the grill to about 75%, maybe? Trim down the bling (although given the Escalade, maybe they wanted ultra-bling in order to attract the eco-conscious rap stars out there)?

Looking at it more and more, it really looks a lot like the Bertone Jag concept that TGUK showed in 16x06, except with Caddy styling cues. It works really well. It works so well I don't mind that it has more lithium in it than a psych ward full of manic-depressives.

Right, it is not terrible, just needs some minor refining.

This is one of the very, VERY few convertibles I would like to own....

Massive 4 door landbarge? Fuck you styling? Cadillac badge? Chrome everything? Hybrid v6?.......well 4 out of 5 ain't bad.:p

I would rock that Caddy; and I don't like GM or any post-1959 Cadillac (including the CTS-V).

This is one of the very, VERY few convertibles I would like to own....

Massive 4 door landbarge? Fuck you styling? Cadillac badge? Chrome everything? Hybrid v6?.......well 4 out of 5 ain't bad.:p

It's Caddy, there will be a V8. :p

I'm not sure those suicide doors would make it to production. It'd be awesome for GM to make a range-topping Caddie like this, but probably the most we'll see is some styling cues 'filtered' down into the next STS or what have you. Though I say, drop a LSX 454 in, lose the hybrid drivetrain and now you have a car that's almost too awesome to drive.