BMW to introduce diesel into their 'M' line (not a joke)

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/201...e-engine-to-find-numerous-other-applications/

Rumors of the diesel M have been circulating for several weeks, but TheDetroitBureau.com has confirmed details with a variety of BMW sources who say the maker wants to prove out the potential of the high-mileage technology ? taking advantage of a variety of new technologies, including the unusual triple-turbocharging system meant to eliminate even the most minor turbo lag.

The new model is likely to get the unusual designation of either BMW 550dM or 550dXM, the latter referring to its all-wheel-drive system. With rare exception, most models produced by the Bavarian maker?s performance sub-brand flash the vaunted ?M? first and foremost. But the alternative nomenclature would reflect the unusual powertrain under the hood of the 5-Series BMW.

Waiting for internet car fan rage in 3...2...1...

I wouldn't be bothered, the taboo of diesel performance engines has been broken in 2006 by another German company in a town in the middle of France and has basically been trampled and destroyed every year ever since.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be bothered, the taboo of diesel performance engines has been broken in 2006 by another German company in a town in the middle of France and has basically been trampled and destroyed every year ever since.

I for one, agree with you, but there are many who claim an unwarranted ownership over the 'M' badge and talk like what should and should not be done like they run BMW's M division instead of being internet potificators.

Waiting for internet car fan rage in 3...2...1...

http://img820.imageshack.**/img820/2884/iaintevenmadsuper.jpg

Actually, they could be quite awesome. Sure they won't have the soundtrack of a howling V10 or a rumbling V8, but an all wheel drive 550d still sounds beastly.

i agree with all of the above, i love the idea :thumbsup:
maybe i'm biased... but i don't care, give me the diesel!

"M" doesn't mean anything unless it's the only letter anyway. There are plenty of "M-sport" 3 series where the "M-sport" part just adds some cheesy metal pedals or door sills. The "M" stopped being sacrosanct a long time ago. Until they produce an "M5" or "M3" with a diesel engine this isn't really a change.

Well the 335d is already a sensible man's version of the M3, And what's wrong with a car that can do 36 MPG on the Highway but can give you 425 torques from 1750 RPM and launch you to 60 in less than six seconds

"M" doesn't mean anything unless it's the only letter anyway. There are plenty of "M-sport" 3 series where the "M-sport" part just adds some cheesy metal pedals or door sills. The "M" stopped being sacrosanct a long time ago. Until they produce an "M5" or "M3" with a diesel engine this isn't really a change.

They could put a diesel in the M5 and I wouldn't be bothered a bit. As long as it has the performance you'd expect of a "true" M, not the M-sport, it could be fueled by potatoes and gravy for all I care.

As long as it has the performance one would expect from an M badge I don't care what it runs on. The only problem with diesel is that they rarely have a nice exhaust note.

Internet car fan rage? VW Touareg 5L V10? Nursing a semi. Something similar in M3/5/463456 ? No problem.

iaintevenmad.jpg

Apart from the noise, modern Diesel engines are pure awesome. Case in point: the BMW 335d/535d, as already mentioned by gaasc. Audi's 3 litre TDI, too.

This is actually an awesome idea! Why not call it a M5D or M3D instead? It sounds more exclusive than calling it a 550DM

Mmmmm. M3D. Do eet.

That being said...why no R8 TDI, Audi? Do you like making ninjacoco sad? :(

I for one, agree with you, but there are many who claim an unwarranted ownership over the 'M' badge and talk like what should and should not be done like they run BMW's M division instead of being internet potificators.

Kind of like the Lotus fanbois, or those against a turbo V6 in a vette, or a V8 in a Viper, etc etc etc.....

And those bitching the loudest will never buy one anyway.