The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

F100-PW-229 / 2000 hour continuous run test rig

Consumed 2.9 million gallons of fuel. :lol:

http://www.arnold.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123231903

YoxUA.jpg

BBC News - Red Arrow crashes during Bournemouth Air Festival

BBC News said:
A Red Arrow aeroplane has crashed in Dorset following a display at the Bournemouth Air Festival.

The fire service confirmed they were called to an air crash at 13:50 BST near Bournemouth International Airport.

Eyewitnesses described seeing the plane plunge to the ground in a field at Throop village.

It was one of nine Red Arrows that had earlier taken part in a display over the seafront. No details are known about possible casualties.

more via link

This happened about 2.5 hours ago, there is currently no news of the pilot. I just hope he is all right and that no one was hurt on the ground either.

:sad:

Latest reports I'm hearing say he ejected and was pulled from the river Stour. Hope that's true.

I was as Shoreham Air Show when I heard the news. Junior was gutted as the Arrows were the thing he most wanted to see. I had to point out that some things were more important that his disappointment when someone might have been injured or lost their life and left a family. He pondered this for a couple of seconds and solemnly announced I was right and that he shouldn't be selfish like that. Not too shabby for a boy of 7.

And the Vulcan couldn't make it either because of fuel system issues or something. Maybe next year. Still I'll do a screendump of pictures once I've been through what I got.

BBC is reporting that the pilot didn't make it out. Godspeed buddy... :(

aXWHe.jpg

uAmo5.jpg

Took a short flight today... +rep to whomever can tell where I am. :p

IMG_0828.jpg

BBC is reporting that the pilot didn't make it out. Godspeed buddy... :(

Ah, that is sad news to find out, my thoughts are with his family, friends and squardon team mates.

:sad:

Flt Lt Jon Egging, rest in peace good sir. Now for the labcoats to investigate, i'm thinking of mechanical failure of something.

Took a short flight today... +rep to whomever can tell where I am. :p

[snip]http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Justindam/IMG_0828.jpg[/snip]

You're on Planet Earth. :D

You're over King County International, aka Boeing Field, aka, KBFI

I was gonna go with that too, considering where the remaining Concorde's are located, its the best choice. For bonus +rep, you took it from a 737-300 series...

You have heard of certain machines named cranes, didn't you? :p In the Technik-Museums Sinsheim and Speyer there are lots of planes on columns, for example the Concorde and the Tupolew Tu-144:

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ey/eye-q/2010/04/13/CIMG1280_000.JPG

They were lifted with two cranes into their positions, so lifting those planes shouldn't be that much of a problem there.

You're over King County International, aka Boeing Field, aka, KBFI

Yup! They had a 787 out when I drove past it on the Freeway.

I was gonna go with that too, considering where the remaining Concorde's are located, its the best choice. For bonus +rep, you took it from a 737-300 series...

Close. :p 737-400.

This is a C47 over the Pyramids. Your argument is invalid!

And RIP Flt Lt John Egging. By all accounts his bravery meant his was the only life lost. Hope he gets to swap a few great stories with LT47.

Yup! They had a 787 out when I drove past it on the Freeway.

The last time I drove past there they literally had about a dozen 787's sitting out in front of the factory. :woot:

I dunno about you guys, but in an age of digital aviation, its refreshing to see shots like this:

1971792.jpg

Yeah, I like analog :)